Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
mental granny said:
I can't wait to some day have the opertunity to see one not in the zoo at a healthy non encroaching way I just like to watch animals!
yes. That is why it is so important to preserve wild lands now or zoos will be all that is left for the animals.

Attachments

• gator on 441.jpg
    gator on 441.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 493
  • gator on 441.jpg
    gator on 441.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 395

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
mental granny said:
I can't wait to some day have the opertunity to see one not in the zoo at a healthy non encroaching way I just like to watch animals!

you ever close to the farm hollar you can sit on the bank, or I'll take you up the creek and you can see all sizes.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
When I lived on a 57ft houseboat in AL for 7yrs,there was an old female gator up at the end of one of the bayous.She was very old and couldn't really forge much for herself.She was about 13ft long.All of us regulars that fished that area a lot and lived around there new her and whenever we went up there she would slip into the water and come out to our boat and open her mouth and we would give her a fish and then she would go away.About 2yrs before I retired,one of the regulars came back to the marina and said he found her dead,someone had shot her and left her.She couldn't have been a threat to them,it was probably just someone new and unfamiliar with 'gators.A real shame.Now don't get me wrong,there are very dangerous gators and best to stay away from them if you are not familiar with them.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
warsawdaddy said:
When I lived on a 57ft houseboat in AL for 7yrs,there was an old female gator up at the end of one of the bayous.She was very old and couldn't really forge much for herself.She was about 13ft long.All of us regulars that fished that area a lot and lived around there new her and whenever we went up there she would slip into the water and come out to our boat and open her mouth and we would give her a fish and then she would go away.About 2yrs before I retired,one of the regulars came back to the marina and said he found her dead,someone had shot her and left her.She couldn't have been a threat to them,it was probably just someone new and unfamiliar with 'gators.A real shame.Now don't get me wrong,there are very dangerous gators and best to stay away from them if you are not familiar with them.

Wow sad story, yeah 13 foot female is an old gator. Someone unknowning of their behavior probably thought she was going to attack them if she swam up on the boat and opened her mouth.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Check out these amazing pictures of a gator with a deer in its mouth taken in Lake Worth Florida.
gator with deer.jpg
gator stashing deer.jpg
gator 23 foot.jpg
Florida Game and Parks game wardens had to shoot the beast ...

Joe Goff, 6' 5' tall, Game Warden with the Florida and Parks Commission, walks past the 23-foot, one inch alligator that he shot and killed in the back yard of Jayne & Don Hobkirk...

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this as an email said it was in YX brought in by the hurricane, Rita or before that!

I think ive gotton 2 times LOL

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
mental granny said:
I got this as an email said it was in YX brought in by the hurricane, Rita or before that!

I received it in an e-mail also and thought i would share it. It didnt say anything about a hurricane. No dates, just names and places. That thing was a dinosaur. :o If they hadnt killed it, how much bigger would it have gotten? Check out the head on that monster. The local mammals can now breathe a bit easier. That thing was an extremely dangerous lizard.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mental granny said:
How much would it take to sate its appetite!

About one 6' 5" Game Warden for the Florida Parks Commission. ;D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
bigcypresshunter said:
mental granny said:

I received it in an e-mail also and thought i would share it. It didnt say anything about a hurricane. No dates, just names and places.
yES, IT APPEARS TO BE AN OLD STORY. tHE PICTURES ARE REAL, BUT THE STORY, NAMES AND PLACES HAVE CHANGED MANY TIMES. i THINK I LEARNED A LESSON. i WILL NEVER POST A STORY THAT COMES IN AN E-MAIL LOL. aMAZING THE STORIES PEOPLE MAKE UP.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/gatordeer.asp

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/wcgator.asp

Even though the pics are real, the story is not. I should have known that there is no such thing as a 23 foot gator. It does look HUGE in the photo though.

Thanks Bridge for the heads up and Snopes links.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
bigcypresshunter said:
bigcypresshunter said:
mental granny said:

I received it in an e-mail also and thought i would share it. It didnt say anything about a hurricane. No dates, just names and places.
yES, IT APPEARS TO BE AN OLD STORY. tHE PICTURES ARE REAL, BUT THE STORY, NAMES AND PLACES HAVE CHANGED MANY TIMES. i THINK I LEARNED A LESSON. i WILL NEVER POST A STORY THAT COMES IN AN E-MAIL LOL. aMAZING THE STORIES PEOPLE MAKE UP.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/gatordeer.asp

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/wcgator.asp

Even though the pics are real, the story is not. I should have known that there is no such thing as a 23 foot gator. It does look HUGE in the photo though.

Thanks Bridge for the heads up and Snopes links.

Your Welcome, I had the gator hanging pic sent to me a few years back saying it was found in Mobile Bay Alabama.
lol.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
mental granny said:
No matter what the story that is still one BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGG gator!

they say the experts a gator don't get bigger than 16 feet and that being rare. Once in the swamps way in the back of a creek called Deep Creek a friend and I were wadding getting fresh water shrimp for trout line bait. We were coming up on another bank and a group of what were thought were old 1900s mill cut cyprus logs. When we got about 40 yards or so one of those logs opened it's mouth. It to this day is the biggest gator I have ever seen, it had to be 48 inches in diameter and an easy 18 foot. It never moved other than opening it's mouth. Since it was nesting time and to be honest it's size we decided not to challenge it to see who was superior in the food chain line up and just slipped back the other way.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
GATOR PERMITS NOW ON SALE on a first come first serve basis in Florida. ;D http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...LOL-?SITE=FLSTU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Jun 2, 8:42 AM EDT

Alligator hunting permits go on sale June 3

WEST PALM BEACH (AP) -- Alligator hunting permits for Florida go on sale this week.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission will begin selling about 4,500 permits on a first come, first served basis Tuesday morning.

Sales end June 9. Permits are limited to one per person, and allow for two alligator kills. Applications can be found at any county tax collector's office, stores that sell hunting licenses and through the commission's Web site at http://www.myfwc.com .

Florida residents will pay $271.50 per permit. For nonresidents, it's $1,021.50.

If any permits remain, sales will reopen on June 10. That would allow for a second license to be purchased at a cost of $61.50 regardless of residency.

The alligator hunting season runs from Aug. 15 through Nov. 1.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
bigcypresshunter said:
GATOR PERMITS NOW ON SALE on a first come first serve basis in Florida. ;D http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...LOL-?SITE=FLSTU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Jun 2, 8:42 AM EDT

Alligator hunting permits go on sale June 3

WEST PALM BEACH (AP) -- Alligator hunting permits for Florida go on sale this week.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission will begin selling about 4,500 permits on a first come, first served basis Tuesday morning.

Sales end June 9. Permits are limited to one per person, and allow for two alligator kills. Applications can be found at any county tax collector's office, stores that sell hunting licenses and through the commission's Web site at http://www.myfwc.com .

Florida residents will pay $271.50 per permit. For nonresidents, it's $1,021.50.

If any permits remain, sales will reopen on June 10. That would allow for a second license to be purchased at a cost of $61.50 regardless of residency.

The alligator hunting season runs from Aug. 15 through Nov. 1.

they still require a qualified guide with you?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
They keep changing the rules. The first year they opened the hunt, you had to catch them live! You had to hunt at night. Then you had to take a class or use a guide. I dunno, but Im not hunting gators. Little problem- no boat. :D I believe they will designate a certain area that you must hunt; such as a section Lake Okeechobee. I dont believe you are allowed to walk the banks looking for a sunning gator lol. I should check into it. :-\

You can legally sell the hides to a processor and meat, Im sure, to recoup some of the licsense fees.

http://myfwc.com/gators/public.htm

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
bigcypresshunter said:
They keep changing the rules. The first year they opened the hunt, you had to catch them live! Then you had to take a class or use a guide. I dunno, but Im not hunting gators. Little problem- no boat. :D I believe they will designate a certain area that you must hunt; such as a section Lake Okeechobee. I should check into it. :-\

You can legally sell the hides and meat, Im sure, to recoup some of the licsense fees.

http://myfwc.com/gators/public.htm

It been a couple of years for me too, last rules I read or know of was you had to get him/her to the boat live then you could kill it once it was beside the boat. I think that was to prevent losing it once dead. You could not shoot it, use a limb hook or stationary type system. We used bows, and you needed a qualified guide with you which if you were qualified you could buy that license for 50 bucks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions