Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in September, we had a intruder in the pond, it is nothing unusual to have gators come and go freely from the river to the pond and vice versa.

Only thing, this young gator was very aggressive. He would swim to the bank and come out after anything that moved. The cattle could not drink water from the pond...cats, dogs, people were not safe in that area anymore.

All the pics are from the area, where I hunt Indian artifacts. You can see the construction across the river where the high $$ river front lots are going up for sale. I understand the last lot, facing the pond in a little bigger than the 100'x50' lots that are selling for...this one is going for $175,000. :o

As you can see, the gator is swimming closer towards me, I'm standing up on top of my 4-wheeler taking the pics. Believe me I was ready to haul a__ if he came closer towards me. They can jump and I was envisioning him jumping onto the 4-wheeler and getting me. :-\

The last pics are when Wildlife & Fisheries came to capture him. He put up a fight, starting his rolling then jumping. He was almost 5' but be could do some damage if he attacked. He was released further down the river closer to the lake in no man's land. :)

Now, you had a little tour of my property....still want to come visit me? ;D

;) RR

Attachments

• Cows.pond.jpg
    Cows.pond.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 884
  • pond.river.jpg
    pond.river.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 889
  • gator.1.jpg
    gator.1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 806
  • gator.2.jpg
    gator.2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 812
  • gator.3.jpg
    gator.3.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 769
  • gatorspin.jpg
    gatorspin.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 717
  • gatorjump.jpg
    gatorjump.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,055

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cool pics. Even though he was aggressive, he is not large enough to attack a human. The large gators are the only dangerous ones to humans. We used to have a little gator in a pond that attacked the weed-eater anytime the worker got close to the pond with it. Funniest thing. Maybe was best to move him before he gets any bigger and he was a danger to pets and children. I dont know if they can jump, but they can propell themselves out of the water at least half their length. I heard a story about a guy fishing and the gator ate his tackle box by the waters edge. I dont think he would attack anything far from the waters edge, and couldnt jump in the truck. Thanks for sharing.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
yup, i would have wanted that critter out of my pond too. knowing my luck he would have been able to jump in the truck! :P

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
They cannot jump in the truck. :D He looks young to me by all the light yellow coloring still on his hide. Actually kinda pretty. I believe you will not see the one that gets you. His aggressive behavior would be a threat to children. He has probably been eating raccoons, birds, or opossums at the waters edge and sees humans as no danger. Maybe now he wont come up so close to one(human) unless he wants to get hog tied. ;D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Here is an old picture of "wallygator" our pet gator, notice the coloring. He eventually became too large for the swimming pool and we had to donate him to the Indian zoo. Bottom pic Wally, years later enjoying the sun and good life at the zoo with new friends. :)

Attachments

• wally gator.jpg
    wally gator.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,144
  • wally gator.jpg
    wally gator.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 787

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Could you run your detector over the middle of one of these things and check for old tackle boxes, rings, and watches, etc. from people trying to feed them. Maybe A.P. could design a tool for extracting valuables. Seem it would put a little exitement in the sport for you folks down there on a cold winter day. Have a good un'

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can't jump in the truck, but they can get up to about 25 MPH for about 90 feet. Then they run out of gas immediately.

Merry Christmas,

Mike

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love them pictures RR! 8) But I bet you're sure glad that bugger is gone! :o

Merry Christmas!

Nana :)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The place look's awesome RR....How could you refuse an invite to something like that....Planning on having a gator hunt....sign me up.Great pic's,thank's for sharin' and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cool pic Dell. I heard if a drop of sweat or something were to drop in its mouth by reaction it would snap shut. Is this true? :)

arkhunter

Jun 12, 2006
little rock,arkansas
Detector(s) used
whites-garret
i would love to come see the place ...and feed the gators...we have so few up here......i have only found one small one....but game and fish has moved a few trouble makers out in the rice fields

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Do they taste like chicken?

I've heard the locals call Phillipine water dragons (lizard pets) pollo del par?? Chicken of the trees.

rmptr

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
rmptr said:
Do they taste like chicken?
I havent skinned one out lately, but back in the day I recall the tail being the most sought after meat, a tender succulent white meat tasting like a combination fish, lobster, and pork tenderloin. The rest often gets thrown out, but I will eat it. The legs tasting like chicken dark meat and the ribs like pork. Dip the boneless tail meat sections in egg, then flour, and deep fry.... yummy!

How much did you get paid to do that Dell? $2.50/hour? Do you have all your digits? :D Cool pic.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Montana Jim said:
Great pics RR... and Dell, yer nuts! :tongue3:

That baby gater would make some nice handgrips for the trike RR... :thumbsup:

and good kabobs while your waiting on them to dry, it is a very young one you had.

Florida has at least one in every pond or soon after there is one.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
against the law to feed gators in my parts.
They become feerless of us just after a few feeding.
I dont care how big or small they are, they can still do substancial damage, if they dont drag you or you pet in, then a gator roll in the water an your a gonner.
also against the law to have or raise a gator.
A few of these post are a bit ignorent for my taste.
Just my opinion

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
bradyboy said:
against the law to feed gators in my parts.
They become feerless of us just after a few feeding.
I dont care how big or small they are, they can still do substancial damage, if they dont drag you or you pet in, then a gator roll in the water an your a gonner.
also against the law to have or raise a gator.
A few of these post are a bit ignorent for my taste.
Just my opinion
I guess I am just an ignorant Florida cracker. (Permits can be obtained to raise and harvest or hunt alligators in Florida). Yes, I agree, you should NEVER feed a wild alligator. Who is doing that? I think arkhunter was joking.(I hope) You CAN have them removed if large enough where they can pose a danger to children and pets.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I have been around gators all my life living on the St Johns River. I have swam close to them, I have lost calves and dogs to them too at times. They like any animals deserve respect and you have to know them. But they are no monster at all.

The only problem they have like any other wildlife is that development is coming into their territory and destroying their homes. So who loses the alligator just like the Indians when civilization encroached their homes too

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Developement is by far the biggest danger to all wildlife. :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread