onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first off I have no intention of being accused of profiling or having no compassion.:laughing7: Maybe they do walk among us. Who else would fear gun's as much as they. And who else would want to take our brains away. I'm sure some of us see people who walk around all day with no clue or direction. except for the thought of changing our direction and just blend in. All of the post's so far have been very enlightening and serious just thought a little humor (which some take it as a insult) would help.

If a Smurf held it's breath What color would he be? That color would be the states to stay away from. Think I'll roll one.:laughing7:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Onfire: Very good question on smurfs. Let me compare this to what happens with humans. When people stop breathing and deoxygenate, evidence can seen by their lips and tips of their fingers turning blue. It occurs in these places because they are the most visible part of the body with the smallest capillaries that attend them. Capillaries are tiny offshoots of arteries. Arteries carry oxygenated blood throughout the body. Oxygen binds to hemoglobin and creates the red color of blood. When hemoglobin exchanges its oxygen it takes on a blue color and returns to the body via veins.

So, if it carries blood away from the heart it is an artery. If it carries blood towards the heart is a vein. The one exception to this is the pulmonary artery but we really don't want to get into it.

So, let us assume that the blue color of smurfs comes from melanin. melanin is what is responsible for the variable differences in the skin color of humans; however, all humans (regardless of skin color) show cyanosis without oxygen (ie...blue lips and tips of fingers due to deoxygenation.) This comparison, in and of itself, negates any relation between the smurfs blue outward appearance and what would happen if they held their breath.

In order to know what would happen if a smurf held his/her breath we have to know the type of hemoglobin they carry and the default state when it is not saturated with gases necessary for survival. If we assume that smurfs breath oxygen then they would simply turn bluer. However, I am not convinced that smurfs breath oxygen. It is very possible that they breath the much more present nitrogen or carbon dioxide. If you could provide me with a blood sample from a smurf then I can analyze the hemoglobin in their blood and provide you with a better answer. Send me a PM and I will let you know where to send the blood sample. Also, placental cord blood will not work. Fetal hemoglobin varies significantly because of oxygen exchange that occurs after birth. If you would like to know more about this in humans then google "hydrops fetalis."

One more point: Why do zombies fear guns? They are already dead, guns just slow them down. If I was a zombie I would be more afraid of a flamethrower. Immolation is much more permanent then a gun shot wound.

Thanks for the interesting and stimulating questions,
Crispin

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
first off I have no intention of being accused of profiling or having no compassion.:laughing7: Maybe they do walk among us. Who else would fear gun's as much as they. And who else would want to take our brains away. I'm sure some of us see people who walk around all day with no clue or direction. except for the thought of changing our direction and just blend in. All of the post's so far have been very enlightening and serious just thought a little humor (which some take it as a insult) would help.

If a Smurf held it's breath What color would he be? That color would be the states to stay away from. Think I'll roll one.:laughing7:

HEMP...?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Onfire: Very good question on smurfs. Let me compare this to what happens with humans. When people stop breathing and deoxygenate, evidence can seen by their lips and tips of their fingers turning blue. It occurs in these places because they are the most visible part of the body with the smallest capillaries that attend them. Capillaries are tiny offshoots of arteries. Arteries carry oxygenated blood throughout the body. Oxygen binds to hemoglobin and creates the red color of blood. When hemoglobin exchanges its oxygen it takes on a blue color and returns to the body via veins.

So, if it carries blood away from the heart it is an artery. If it carries blood towards the heart is a vein. The one exception to this is the pulmonary artery but we really don't want to get into it.

So, let us assume that the blue color of smurfs comes from melanin. melanin is what is responsible for the variable differences in the skin color of humans; however, all humans (regardless of skin color) show cyanosis without oxygen (ie...blue lips and tips of fingers due to deoxygenation.) This comparison, in and of itself, negates any relation between the smurfs blue outward appearance and what would happen if they held their breath.

In order to know what would happen if a smurf held his/her breath we have to know the type of hemoglobin they carry and the default state when it is not saturated with gases necessary for survival. If we assume that smurfs breath oxygen then they would simply turn bluer. However, I am not convinced that smurfs breath oxygen. It is very possible that they breath the much more present nitrogen or carbon dioxide. If you could provide me with a blood sample from a smurf then I can analyze the hemoglobin in their blood and provide you with a better answer. Send me a PM and I will let you know where to send the blood sample. Also, placental cord blood will not work. Fetal hemoglobin varies significantly because of oxygen exchange that occurs after birth. If you would like to know more about this in humans then google "hydrops fetalis."

One more point: Why do zombies fear guns? They are already dead, guns just slow them down. If I was a zombie I would be more afraid of a flamethrower. Immolation is much more permanent then a gun shot wound.

Crispin

LOL! GOOD!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
onfire,

I'm taking the position that you are speaking metaphorically as to what states are pro or anti gun.....just a wild guess on my part.....if that's your opinion so be it...personally I don't have a vote either way.....so just my personal opinion.....at the end of the day your current elected government calls the shots and will vote based on the feedback from the voting public and pretty much any opinion me, you or anyone else espouses is just that.....opinions.

Insofar as Crispin's comments are concerned.....ever since he visited that other dimension he's got me completely confused......not a difficult task btw......lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
onfire,

I'm taking the position that you are speaking metaphorically as to what states are pro or anti gun.....just a wild guess on my part.....if that's your opinion so be it...personally I don't have a vote either way.....so just my personal opinion.....at the end of the day your current elected government calls the shots and will vote based on the feedback from the voting public and pretty much any opinion me, you or anyone else espouses is just that.....opinions.

Insofar as Crispin's comments are concerned.....ever since he visited that other dimension he's got me completely confused......not a difficult task btw......lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

ROFL!

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Crispin

wow crisp you have better Sh!tt then I had:laughing9: head shots work. but belly button shot's work better. cheers.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dont want to come across as a know it all but actually the lack of oxygen in blood making the color blue is a bit of a myth. When we have our blood drawn it does not come into contact with oxygen yet is red in the vile. Also the veins of an albino are all red. It actually is blue because of light absorption/refraction within the layers of skin making it appear blue. It's funny this came up because the only reason i know was it was part of a podcast I just listen to called 10 incorrect things we are taught in school. Also included was myths about thanksgiving, glass being thicker at the bottom because its a viscous liquid etc. was a pretty good podcast. Sorry for the interruption.

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes thats why old glass is wavy. its been sitting too long and has started to drip. New glass has stabilizers in it so this doesnt happen. I wonder if you left a glass cup on a shelf how long it would have to sit there before it actually started to shrink from loosing material at the top to gravity.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
yes thats why old glass is wavy. its been sitting too long and has started to drip. New glass has stabilizers in it so this doesnt happen. I wonder if you left a glass cup on a shelf how long it would have to sit there before it actually started to shrink from loosing material at the top to gravity.

THEN, it becomes a COLLECTOR'S ITEM...

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tlowery04 said:

Actually that's another on the the myths - I was taught that also. According to the podcast the real answer is the old glass is thicker at the bottom because if the way it was manufactured. Using a glass blower as they did in the old days a globe of glass is blown. It is then spun into a disk by spinning it around. Centrifugal force causes the outer edge to be thicker than the inner part. When the disk is cut into panes of glass there is a thicker and thinner part. People installing the glass would put the ticket part at the bottom for greater stability.

According to this podcast some professor proposed the old idea because it seemed logical and was a pretty cool idea and everyone just accepted it. Decade and decades later a scientist actually decided to test this theory and completely debunked it. He calculated that with glass is a "liquid" it would take hundreds of millions of years for it to have any noticable changes debunking the old theory. I love hearing stories like this - you learn something new everyday.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont want to come across as a know it all but actually the lack of oxygen in blood making the color blue is a bit of a myth. When we have our blood drawn it does not come into contact with oxygen yet is red in the vile. Also the veins of an albino are all red. It actually is blue because of light absorption/refraction within the layers of skin making it appear blue. It's funny this came up because the only reason i know was it was part of a podcast I just listen to called 10 incorrect things we are taught in school. Also included was myths about thanksgiving, glass being thicker at the bottom because its a viscous liquid etc. was a pretty good podcast. Sorry for the interruption.

You are kinda right. There is a color change when hemoglobin deoxygenates, it is nowhere near as profound as people believe. However, cyanosis occurs due to lack of perfusion and deoxygenation. That is what I was referring to, and yes, lips do turn blue. It is scary. What color would smurfs be if they breathed nitrogen? I'm at a loss on that one.

Crispin

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
You are kinda right. There is a color change when hemoglobin deoxygenates, it is nowhere near as profound as people believe. However, cyanosis occurs due to lack of perfusion and deoxygenation. That is what I was referring to, and yes, lips do turn blue. It is scary. What color would smurfs be if they breathed nitrogen? I'm at a loss on that one.

Crispin

Only Papa Smurf KNOWS...

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think Smurfs breath nitrogen because at normal (planet Earth) temperatures and pressures it's considered a nobel gas. It doesn't bond with anything and isn't reactive under earth conditions. I don't think nitro would be a substitute for oxygen. What is the process those blue crabs use? They have a different method for blue blood. And what about all those blue bloods in Washington DC? What's their process?

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And what about that smurfette - definitely a lot of smurfs for one smurfette. Must definitely lead to problems. But watch out smurfs are definitely communists.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think Smurfs breath nitrogen because at normal (planet Earth) temperatures and pressures it's considered a nobel gas. It doesn't bond with anything and isn't reactive under earth conditions. I don't think nitro would be a substitute for oxygen. What is the process those blue crabs use? They have a different method for blue blood. And what about all those blue bloods in Washington DC? What's their process?

You bring up a good point about the reactivity of N2 in the atmosphere. That extra covalent bond has a tendancy to be a stickler. I realize the Kreb's Cycle would have to be radically altered. I can't fathom a mechanism that would break N2 down into 2N and still leave a positive on the energy return side. For this reason I didn't propose that smurfs breath helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, or radon. That would just be downright impossible.

I guess it is possible that smurfs breath CO2 but I'm not aware of any process other then photosynthesis that would allow that process to produce a positive energy. Also, with smurfs being blue, that would probably eliminate most waves of light that would make the process worthwhile. We could propose that smurfs don't breath at all, but that would make this entire thread appear to be quite ludarcis. No, that is completely out of the question.

Hah! I got it. Perhaps smurfs breath hydrogen. I was mistaken about their blue skin color being from melanin. I now believe that the blue color is due to interstitial fluids composed predominately of water that is necessary to keep the delicate acid-base balance from having build up of hydrogen in their bodies; and hence, leading to an anion gap that would cause a lethal metabolic acidosis. What a truely remarkable conclusion we have arrived at. Anybody see any fault in my logic?

Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And what about that smurfette - definitely a lot of smurfs for one smurfette. Must definitely lead to problems. But watch out smurfs are definitely communists.

Stockpicker: I have spent half the day pondering this post. I have come to two possible answers. Let me lay the groundwork:
1. We know of only one female smurf who smurfs the smurfs.
2. We know that the village of smurfs is composed of hundred smurfs.
3. We only know of a handful of child/baby smurfs in the smurf village.

4: Let us first examine point number three. With so many children in the smurf village we can conclude that smurfs have extremely long lives and reproduce rarely; or, smurfs mature from baby to adult extremely rapidly, which is why there are so few.
- based on the fact that we have only known of smurf existence for the last few decades I find both these theories unlikely.

5: Let us now examine point number two. With hundreds of smurfs in existence we can propose that that the amount of time smurfs spend in utero is a matter of days; and hence, smurffette can smurf them out very, very quickly.
- I find this unlikely as well, we never see smurffette being pregnant.

This information is what I am basing these next theories on.

Theory One: We are incorrect about the reproductive patterns of smurfs. They do not propagate by meiosis. In reality, they reproduce by budding and fusing.
-Smurfs are a unisexual species and smurffette is really a red herring. In actuality, smurffette is a cross dressing hermaphrodite.(Rebel, I am going to need you to explain how that is possible. I myself am still confused.)

Theory Two: Males smurfs are the ones who carry smurfs in utero to term.
-This means that Smurffette is actually the biggest pimp of all time and impregnates her harem of male smurfs.

I welcome intelligent disagreements to these theories only. Please do not waste my time with nonsense.

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stockpicker: I have spent half the day pondering this post. I have come to two possible answers. Let me lay the groundwork:
1. We know of only one female smurf who smurfs the smurfs.
2. We know that the village of smurfs is composed of hundred smurfs.
3. We only know of a handful of child/baby smurfs in the smurf village.

4: Let us first examine point number three. With so many children in the smurf village we can conclude that smurfs have extremely long lives and reproduce rarely; or, smurfs mature from baby to adult extremely rapidly, which is why there are so few.
- based on the fact that we have only known of smurf existence for the last few decades I find both these theories unlikely.

5: Let us now examine point number two. With hundreds of smurfs in existence we can propose that that the amount of time smurfs spend in utero is a matter of days; and hence, smurffette can smurf them out very, very quickly.
- I find this unlikely as well, we never see smurffette being pregnant.

This information is what I am basing these next theories on.

Theory One: We are incorrect about the reproductive patterns of smurfs. They do not propagate by meiosis. In reality, they reproduce by budding and fusing.
-Smurfs are a unisexual species and smurffette is really a red herring. In actuality, smurffette is a cross dressing hermaphrodite.(Rebel, I am going to need you to explain how that is possible. I myself am still confused.)

Theory Two: Males smurfs are the ones who carry smurfs in utero to term.
-This means that Smurffette is actually the biggest pimp of all time and impregnates her harem of male smurfs.

I welcome intelligent disagreements to these theories only. Please do not waste my time with nonsense.

this sounds like a problem CONGRESS needs to figure out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions