Know your second amendment rights
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 104
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Know your second amendment rights

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Aug 2012
    MA
    3,351
    688 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Know your second amendment rights

    A thread for any patriot looking to cut through all the emotion and misinformation out there and learn the FACTS about the second amendment and the workings of the constitutional process as it relates to the second amendment.

  2. #2
    us
    Nov 2010
    NJ Pine Barrens
    T2 SE
    5,165
    2192 times
    Stockpicker, some might say that every election (4 years) there is a revolution in this country. Your thoughts?
    "Internet quotes are often inaccurate."
    -Abraham Lincoln

  3. #3
    us
    Tribal Member of United Houma Nation -

    Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    5,291
    5967 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by 0121stockpicker View Post
    A thread for any patriot looking to cut through all the emotion and misinformation out there and learn the FACTS about the second amendment and the workings of the constitutional process as it relates to the second amendment.
    Usually an informative thread starts out with "information", rather than just an invitation. So, wow us with your important information.
    "When under trial, let no one say: 'I am being tried by God.' For with evil things God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone. . . . Do not be misled, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect present is from above, coming down from the Father of the celestial lights, who does not vary or change like the shifting shadows." --- James 1:13, 16, 17

    A few of my favorite pix: https://www.500px.com/ccjr221

  4. #4
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    37,644
    29616 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    To all. Keep thread strictly on 2nd if it turns political it will be locked...
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

    2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

    USAF 1967-1971

    I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

    No Expiration Date!

  5. #5
    us
    Aug 2012
    MA
    3,351
    688 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadeaux

    Usually an informative thread starts out with "information", rather than just an invitation. So, wow us with your important information.
    Open thread for anyone to post factual information or ask questions. Plenty of other 2nd threads filled with politics, misinformation, opinions and rants. Don't you think its good to have a place that people can go to just discuss fact and to learn their rights?

  6. #6
    us
    Aug 2012
    MA
    3,351
    688 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Question - can the 2nd amendment be constitutionally amended/repealed

    Answer - YES. The 2nd Amendment can be changed by the same process that amendments to the Constitution itself are made. Article 5 provides for amending the Constitution. Since the Constitution itself can be amended and since the 2nd amendment is a part of the Constitution, then it can be amended as well. Many people believe the 2nd cannot be touched because it id part of the Bill of Rights. this is incorrect, the BoRs is just a name given to the first ten amendments. They have no special status.

  7. #7
    us
    Jan 2013
    Delaware / SoDel
    Garrett At Pro (for now)
    310
    122 times
    Metal Detecting
    “On every question of construction (of the Constitution) let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit of the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.”

    Thomas Jefferson

    There is no argument on the second. We all know what it says and what it means. The lawyers who try to wrestle more into it, or to detract from it are just idiots trying to make a name for themselves. Even they know what it means. It's simple,
    "MOLON LABE". Leonidas said it when the Persians told them to relinquish their weapons. It means simply "Come and Take"

    I hate politics.

  8. #8
    us
    Aug 2012
    MA
    3,351
    688 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by 302guy
    “On every question of construction (of the Constitution) let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit of the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.”

    Thomas Jefferson

    There is no argument on the second. We all know what it says and what it means. The lawyers who try to wrestle more into it, or to detract from it are just idiots trying to make a name for themselves. Even they know what it means. It's simple,
    "MOLON LABE". Leonidas said it when the Persians told them to relinquish their weapons. It means simply "Come and Take"

    I hate politics.
    Couldn't agree more 302!! But for better or worse its the game we all find ourselves playing so be better learn the rules as well as we can.

    And unfortunately "we" all don't know what it means. Our FF left most of the constitution wife open for interpretation and reinterpretation and reinterpretation.

    So for those of you who want to defend what you consider to be your second amendment rights you must make sure that your representative knows how YOU interpret the 2nd. Best

  9. #9
    us
    Aug 2012
    MA
    3,351
    688 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Question - is an amending or repealing the second the only way to change current gun laws?

    Answer - NO. A lot of hype and fear mongering out there about repealing the second amend. While possible and constitutional it is EXTREMELY difficult to do so. The more likely action is the supplementing and interpreting of existing constitutional law. This has been happening continuously for decade and decade through a variety of laws and "acts" at the federal and state level. This is by far the most likely course of action for additional "gun control" no "doing away with the second amendment".

    One does not need to amend the constitution to create of change in constitutional law - it is far more often interpreted and supplemented. See below.

    The United States Constitution can be changed through the amendment process. Constitutional amendments are added to it, altering its effect. The first ten amendments, ratified by three-fourths of the states in 1791, are known as the Bill of Rights. The Constitution has been amended seventeen additional times (for a total of twenty-seven amendments). Principles of the Constitution, as amended, are applied in courts of law by judicial review.

    The Constitution guides American law and political culture. Its writers composed the first constitution of its kind incorporating recent developments in constitutional theory with multiple traditions, and their work influenced later writers of national constitutions. It has been amended over time and it is supplemented and interpreted by a large body of United States constitutional law.

  10. #10
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    8,312
    2990 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    All I can say is, imho, if the 2nd amendment gets amended, it will be done with legal hocus pocus and will be meaningless to me. I'm proud to be American not just because I was born here, I'm proud of who we are and who we WERE! Just read it in its simplest form, that's how it was written; so it could be understood without question. We need to adjust our society, and government, to mirror the constitution, not the other way around. If you took a microscope to Mother Teresa, some would conclude she was a bad person for giving the meak false hope. Take the constitution out from under the microscope, read it and live by it. Pretty simple.
    XLTer and Chadeaux like this.
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

  11. #11
    us
    Aug 2012
    MA
    3,351
    688 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If only it was so simple. Unfortunate that's not reality and a good thing to. There was plenty of crap in the original constitution that needed to be changed. I assume you believe it's a good thing that others besides land owning white males can now vote correct? Are you glad your friend BO can only serve 2 terms - well that's a constitutional amendment. Again amendments are few and far between, real legal change is from the interpretation of the doc - the massive body of constitutional law that fills a library.

    The fact that it is a living breathing doc that can change with times is what makes it do great. That's why the FFs created it that way and that's why it has lasted the test of time.

    Do don't fear the amending, keep a close eye on the myriad of laws that come about which are crating around an interpretation of the second.

    Just saying its wrong or it can't happen won't prevent it from happening. Be informed on the process is the only way to protect your rights. Best.

  12. #12
    us
    Aug 2012
    MA
    3,351
    688 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker
    All I can say is, imho, if the 2nd amendment gets amended, it will be done with legal hocus pocus and will be meaningless to me. I'm proud to be American not just because I was born here, I'm proud of who we are and who we WERE! Just read it in its simplest form, that's how it was written; so it could be understood without question. We need to adjust our society, and government, to mirror the constitution, not the other way around. If you took a microscope to Mother Teresa, some would conclude she was a bad person for giving the meak false hope. Take the constitution out from under the microscope, read it and live by it. Pretty simple.
    One does not need to amend the 2nd to create of change in constitutional law - it is far more often interpreted and supplemented. See below.

    The United States Constitution can be changed through the amendment process. Constitutional amendments are added to it, altering its effect. The first ten amendments, ratified by three-fourths of the states in 1791, are known as the Bill of Rights. The Constitution has been amended seventeen additional times (for a total of twenty-seven amendments). Principles of the Constitution, as amended, are applied in courts of law by judicial review.

    Fearmongers (often powerful special interest groups looking for your money) throw around the "repeal or amending" to scare patriotic gun owners. This is not how it will happen. It will be a bunch of different small laws at the federal and state level that erode you right - not take them away in one fell swoop - too obvious.

    Best.

  13. #13
    us
    Voice of Reason?

    Nov 2012
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    1,409
    908 times
    Guns kill people, and people kill people. We can only hope to control both.
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that the FF left much of the Bill of Rights (in fact, most of the constitution) up for interpretation. For example, the First Amendment allow for freedom of speech, but that freedom is limited by moderation installed after the fact. Your freedom of speech is absolute except for yelling fire in a crowded theater (as the classic example shows). There are many ways the absolute freedom of speech is modified. Students may not speak in ways that disrupt the ability of schools to teach. Freedom of assembly often requires those who wish to assemble to get permission and a permit. No freedom in the Bill of Rights is absolute. They all have moderation. Except the Second Amendment in the eyes of the NRA and their most strident members.

  14. #14
    us
    Aug 2012
    MA
    3,351
    688 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by dejapooh
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that the FF left much of the Bill of Rights (in fact, most of the constitution) up for interpretation. For example, the First Amendment allow for freedom of speech, but that freedom is limited by moderation installed after the fact. Your freedom of speech is absolute except for yelling fire in a crowded theater (as the classic example shows). There are many ways the absolute freedom of speech is modified. Students may not speak in ways that disrupt the ability of schools to teach. Freedom of assembly often requires those who wish to assemble to get permission and a permit. No freedom in the Bill of Rights is absolute. They all have moderation. Except the Second Amendment in the eyes of the NRA and their most strident members.
    This is why I think it's important to educate people on the the second amendment and the broader process works. Way too many people speaking nonsense on both sides. I think it's valuable to have a place with unbiased fact. Wish I could find a newspaper or news show that was also unbiased and just reported the truth/facts.

    Thanks for you contribution.

  15. #15
    us
    Jan 2013
    Full Time In An RV
    Garrett GTI 1500
    555
    383 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 302guy View Post
    There is no argument on the second. We all know what it says and what it means.
    Actually, few know what it actually says. Back in the Ninties those who do not favor gun rights inserted an extra comma in the printing of the 2nd amendment. The proper, as passed, verbage is:

    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

    There is no second comma between 'arms' and 'shall'. Yet people post it with the modern version all the time. By pushing the comma they tried to imply the right was not as secure. Tgheir attempt failed in the Supreme Court, but the extra comma still shows up. You can verify this by searching the internet.
    Ten years ago the USA had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now the USA has no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

 

 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. 2nd Amendment,best read in a while,to the point.
    By worldtalker in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan 19, 2013, 01:27 AM
  2. Amendment 20-00420E-12
    By ron lord in forum Treasure Hunting Legal Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb 27, 2012, 06:43 PM
  3. Mining rights, why no Treasure Hunting rights...
    By Prime in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct 14, 2011, 10:20 AM
  4. Thank God for the second Amendment !
    By MD Dog in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr 15, 2009, 03:49 PM

Search tags for this page

16 american jurisprudence 2d, sec 177 late 2d, sec 256
,

2nd amendment rights

,
abraham lincoln 2nd amendment quotes
,

american jurisprudence, 2nd edition. source: 16 am jur 2d, sec 177, late 2d, sec 256

,

can the second ammendement be change

,

in the absence of a federal law or constitutional amendment, each state is given considerable discretion to establish qu

,
know your rights (second amendment)
,
likelihood 2nd amendment will be amended
,

second amendment rights

,
what is your second amendment
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0