Changing the debate from Gun Control to Gun Safety, Hiding the debate in language.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I have stated earlier, you cannot have an honest discussion with a deceitful person or group.

In an effort to reach people with very little critical thinking prowess, the subject phrase must be changed.

From the Chicago Tribune:

The phrase "gun control" may be disappearing from the American debate, jettisoned by the very people who have long favored gun control. Initiatives are now described as attempts to promote "gun safety" or prevent "criminal access to guns" or pass "gun violence legislation."
This month, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who has a master's degree in speech and communication from Northwestern University, urged gun reform activists to make sure their pitch emphasizes the war on crime. "It's all about criminal access," Emanuel said. "It's not about gun control. It's about criminal access. That changes the debate."
On Thursday, Vice President Joe Biden was asked about "gun control" at a Google+ online event and said: "I don't view it as gun control. I view it as gun safety."
The Atlantic's Molly Ball likened the shift in rhetoric to estate tax opponents complaining about the "death tax" and gay-marriage activists calling for "marriage equality" -- in both cases, finding a more effective way to frame their positions.
Jonathon Schuldt, an assistant professor of communication at Cornell University, noted that Americans care deeply for personal freedom, making "control" a word that evokes government regulation and may have negative connotations. "It's really easy to justify why one is against 'control,' " he said. "But it's way harder to be against 'safety.' "
"Subtle, tiny word changes can have a surprisingly big effect on public opinion," Schuldt said.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe to liberals, but to patriots if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck and duck season is open...

We need to continue our fight to defend our 2nd amendment rights with letters and emails to congress, postings on forums, Facebook and public rallies...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Maybe to liberals, but to patriots if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck and duck season is open...

We need to continue our fight to defend our 2nd amendment rights with letters and emails to congress, postings on forums, Facebook and public rallies...

LOL! The "issue" IS GUN CONTROL; 2nd Amend. right IS protected. PRIVATE citizens DO NOT need ASSAULT weapons of Military "grade", & high capacity mag. clips... if so, WHY...? YOU gonna use an assault rifle on a DUCK... ??? !!!

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I'm with Dave and Rebel on this issue. The 2nd amendment is a given at this point and there is no argument otherwise.

Unless of course I throw in a big, I mean really big monkey wrench :laughing7:

And I can do that with a few strokes from this here keyboard :laughing9:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because a semi-auto rifle is black and looks military does not make it an assault rifle, it is still just a rifle doesn't matter if it holds 10 rounds or 30 it is still just a rifle.

If you put a number, a logo, racing stripes, spoiler, and air breather on a Prius is it a race car or just a car with added features?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Just because a semi-auto rifle is black and looks military does not make it an assault rifle, it is still just a rifle doesn't matter if it holds 10 rounds or 30 it is still just a rifle.

If you put a number, a logo, racing stripes, spoiler, and air breather on a Prius is it a race car or just a car with added features?

To shoot a DUCK...?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Yup, this is another lie the gun control people foisted on us...that a semi-auto is an "assault weapon". Assault weapons are capable of fully automatic fire, and are restricted by the Feds. Semi-autos are NOT assault weapons, but you'd never know that listening to the gun controllers.
Jim

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try assaulting a defended let alone fortified position with semi-auto and see how that works out.

I know people who are insisting the ban was for guns where you pulled the trigger and bullets kept coming out (their words)... I had to explain the difference.

Also noticed the majority of people i know or who post that i ask who are anti-gun never served in military. I have yet to find a vet personally who is anti-gun and police I asked so far are all pro 2nd amendment for law abiding citizens....

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like I said before, a six-shot revolver is a semi-automatic, just like the AR15; every time the trigger is pulled, the gun fires. Is the sixshooter an assault weapon? If I carry 2 sixshooters like Roy Rogers with an additional amount of ammo in my holster belt, am I paranoid? Ever run into a herd of wild pigs (200+ pounders) in the manzanita brush? Try a single shot 22 against that. A 30-06 semi-auto has more range and more knockdown power and accuracy at long range than the Bushmaster. I can shoot you through a car door with that weapon multiple times with every pull of the trigger. It has been the "standard" deer hunting caliber for a long time. Is THAT now an assault weapon? Again, a poor knowledge of weapons and what can be done with them.
Call it gun control or gun safety, don't matter to me. I call responsible gun ownership, control or safety, I call limiting my rights, AS I SEE THEM, limiting my freedoms.

Last edited:

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are on the money treasure hunter. No compromise. Never surrender!

lacal

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2009
Willcox, AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom line is that this is the typical divide and conquer. First they get the so called assault weapon, then the semi-autos, and then anything over a certain caliber. It is a piece by piece surrender. They never mention that some people like myself just like to target shoot. I shoot everything from AK47 to 22 single shot. In 45 years none of my personal firearms have shot and killed anyone. If I was trusted to carry a firearm for Uncle Sam and everyone claims to love us veterans why do they now not trust me with my firearms? I once had a guy tell me how safe he felt on airplanes today because of the TSA inspections. I opened my tray holder and told him that if I smashed it I could make one hell of a knife. A false sense of security is not security at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread