Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages! Is a pleasure to perform to such a great and admirable audience. I have known half of you half as well as I would like, and I like less then half as you half as well as you deserve. On to the main event:

After abstaining from serious conversation in the 2nd amendment I have been politely asked to re-enter the debate. How can I refuse such a polite request? The topic of this thread, is...you guessed it...compromising on gun control. I think I read something about the NRA was willing to discuss negotiations on some of the 23 points but I might be making that up. Rebel, did you tell me that in a dream state or did I read it off of CNN? Regardless, I continue to believe in compromise. However, it is hard to compromise with somebody who does not want to bend even the slightest bit. Thus, I would like to use the remainder of this post as psychoanalysis of how some posts can be interpretated when their author goes into the conversation refusing to even consider changing their view. My friend, Griz, has been ever so kind to start us off with his thoughts (copied from Spart's thread.) (I'm sorry Onfire, I tried to let it go. He wouldn't let me.) We are talking about Max Planck's law of generations, keep that in mind.

"I am referencing it to explain the differences between you and I."
Lordy. If you don't know one whit about me, how can you even know what the differences are? Your perception of such differences as they may be are a meaningless concept to me, as is the law you mentioned. Why is it a law? Because some "intellectuals" buy into it? Is there any disagreement from other intellectuals?
1. When people accuse others that "you don't know me" it is usually a sign of deep seeded insecurity.

The really big problem here is that as you sit and read this you are trying to look at my picture while you read my words and come to some conclusions about what I write. Any such assumptions must be wrong because you do not know the tone in which I write. Am I banging the table with my fist? Am I laughing out loud? Am I half lit up on some good fifteen year old single malt? Do I farm your missives out to one of my friends to answer? The truth here is that I sit and sort of shake my head in a bemused and dismissive way. 2. More insecurity, preemptive counterattack on inevitable interpretations to follow.

The same goes both ways. I know very little of you. My first impressions was from your dog's picture. I think you are some kind of psychologist or psychiatrist. I have preconseptions about those fields that may or may not be valid. You seem to be a talker, or, as said eariler, a sophist. I, on the other hand, am a doer. Talk is easy and cheap, but it does not put beans on the table. After my last post I went out and chopped some wood for a fire tonight. Good exercise. You said statistics can be twisted. This tells me you are not much at math. You don't trust numbers. I would respond that words too can be twisted.
3. One states the obvious, anybody not know I'm in the medical field at this point in time? Now one can claim the opposite of what one really is before Spart can call one out on it. More random interpretations, this one wayyyy offff! Do you know what the kinds of math we have to learn to be doctors. Try acid-base balancing with metabolic vs respiratory alkalosis. When you are done with that try the Kreb's cycle and biochemistry. If you are still not convinced doctors are good at math then go take the MCAT (prereqs include organic chem, inorganic chem, physicis I and II, calc I and II, and just a smidgen of biology.)

My measure of a person is what they do, what they accomplish. Not knowing exactly what you do I can only guess that you use words to try and help people who have some sort of mental problem. Me, I help people in a different way. I was never a professor. I am a teacher, or like to think I am. But I learned what I teach the hard way. Yes, I am college educated. College taught me some new words and concepts, few of which turned out to be relevant in the real world. Yes, I have taught in college. But always in an adjunct role. I have run businesses, hired, fired, promoted and taught many people a craft. I am by nature a numbers person, but I do love words. My best fights were always with lawyers. I loved to beat them down. For example, so few people really understand the difference between "I'm sorry," and "I apologize". "I am sorry your cat is dead. I apologize for running over it." So yes, while I am a numbers person, I can use words too. They can be fun to play with.
4. One hasn't really said what one does because one likes being vague. One bashes intellectuals again and brags about how one beats down lawyers. Now one is going to explain an obvious difference to somebody one thinks is in the psychiatric field. That will make one look smart.

"More: I am so much more for knowing you, but less, by far, for not knowing you, more." Words can be fun. I wrote that to a girl I was sweet on many years ago. She wanted to know how much I earned. Smart girl!
5. Oops, need to take ones aricept and namenda.

I have people ask me sometimes, "Why don't you like me?" They never understand the answer. Respect is far more important to me. You can only lie to me once. You can only steal once. You can only be a bully once.
6. One is upset at what onfire inferred and making a veiled challenge.

So, I don't need any intellectual word game explanations from you or anyone else. I've heard all the psycho-babble. I know Maslowe and most of the others. I've read Kant, Durant, Stiglitz, Laffer and a few others. I've also read Heinlein, a truly great philospher.
7. One quotes a bunch of people one knows very little about to look smart and then cites a science-fiction writer as a truly great philospher. What happened to that Air Tax thread?

So the final question is, do I like or dislike you? As I don't know you, except through this site, I have no idea. I doubt we will ever find out. Could you ever like me? Who knows? Who cares?
8. One really forgot what one was talking about, but ones rhetorically rant needs a finale.

Remember this, "It is what it is." Deal with it and move on. Next?
9. Time for my afternoon nap.

Well, that was fun. Anybody want to discuss compromise on the 2nd amendment? I'm up for it.

Crispin

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Crispin, I am always up for this topic. Do you think the number of rounds should be limited? If so please specify handgun, rifle, shotgun... or even slingshots! LOL!:laughing7:

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Crispin, I am always up for this topic. Do you think the number of rounds should be limited? If so please specify handgun, rifle, shotgun... or even slingshots! LOL!:laughing7:

Lets start at the bottom and work our way up. I think people should have unlimited access to slingshots. Any challengers? Okay, DieselRam, take us up slowly, go one above and lets see if I can agree.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
How about shotguns (any Guage) how about as many as gun will hold for all purposes except hunting?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir.. I have a question, sir.

How many rocks should I bring if I were to travel near the border of Mexico, really anywhere near the border, Sir?

Signs in Arizona warn of smuggler dangers - Washington Times

[h=1]Signs in Arizona warn of smuggler dangers[/h][h=2]Drivers advised to travel north[/h]The federal government has posted signs along a major interstate highway in Arizona, more than 100 miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border, warning travelers the area is unsafe because of drug and alien smugglers, and a local sheriff says Mexican drug cartels now control some parts of the state.
Thank you.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also,, Why is it we can trust Egypt while melting down with F16s and 200 tanks but we cannot trust you with a weapon,, are they duck hunting over there? Do you think they installed one shot dispose of plane afterwards safeties?

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is it that we give drug cartels in another country semi auto weapons and they kill US border patrolmen and I am not to be allowed even the weapon the poor Border agents use?

Again,, thank you

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
How about shotguns (any Guage) how about as many as gun will hold for all purposes except hunting?

Yup, totally good with that. This is easy. How about sawed off shotguns? Don't know much about them but they scare me.

My turn: No restrictions on any handguns that are not fully automatic. (Is a automatic handgun even possible?) Any challengers, if not, your turn.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Also,, Why is it we can trust Egypt while melting down with F16s and 200 tanks but we cannot trust you with a weapon,, are they duck hunting over there? Do you think they installed one shot dispose of plane afterwards safeties?

Dave, in all seriousness, I have no idea what you are talking about. I would like to limit the scope of this thread to guns in america. Would be happy to contribute what little I know if you start another thread.

Crispin

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Why is it that we give drug cartels in another country semi auto weapons and they kill US border patrolmen and I am not to be allowed even the weapon the poor Border agents use?

Again,, thank you

Dave we are working our way up to those types of weapons. Not quite there yet. Don't jump the gun ;)

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry,, it looked as if your mind was made up on gun control, just trying to give you real world examples... The earth ain't necessarily a pastel and lollipop place, in reality.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have no family now, when and if you do will you try to protect them,,, or hide under the bed? If a couple of guys break into your house and you have one shot in your slingshot,, will that do the trick?Dr. William Petit, lone survivor of horrific Conn. home invasion, remarries - NY Daily News

Again,, thank you.

Dave, slow down my friend. All your points are legitmate but we can't discuss everything all at once. Again, we are talking about compromising on the 2nd amendment for right now. Besides, TNet does not allow some of the other stuff and it could get the thread locked.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry,, it looked as if your mind was made up on gun control, just trying to give you real world examples... The earth ain't necessarily a pastel and lollipop place, in reality.

No way man, I am always open minded, that is what this discussion is about. Others on this form have changed my views. Lets see where this takes us.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok crispin,, carry on
Let me know when you need a bunch of examples ? I can hang out over there by the corner.

Funny with the Bilbo quote.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yup, totally good with that. This is easy. How about sawed off shotguns? Don't know much about them but they scare me.

My turn: No restrictions on any handguns that are not fully automatic. (Is a automatic handgun even possible?) Any challengers, if not, your turn.

I really see no problem with a sawed off shotgun, and they really are only good close range. So I think even less dangerous than a basic handgun. As far as hand guns again I think we are in agreement. So how about semi auto riffles?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I read your opening post, and I can't believe I read the whole thing. Is it or was it supposed to be about the second amendment and guns? If so you are playing about 3 bars above my comprehension level, but I think perhaps you want me to compromise my beliefs, the ones that were granted by God and enumerated in both the US and state constitutions, and I'm not much on compromising those principals, so I don't reckon I'll get in your game.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I really see no problem with a sawed off shotgun, and they really are only good close range. So I think even less dangerous than a basic handgun. As far as hand guns again I think we are in agreement. So how about semi auto riffles?

Okay, I agree with the sawed off shotgun thing. I'm okay with semi-auto rifles in general. Lets nail done some specifics:
1. Do we limit ammo?
2. Do we make semi-auto harder to obtain then the previously mentioned weapons?

Dave or anybody else, feel free to jump in, this is where the wicket gets sticky.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crispin Sir, if I may? Have you ever read Dune? If you don't know anything about something why would it scare you?

By the way, I love ruffles.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I read your opening post, and I can't believe I read the whole thing. Is it or was it supposed to be about the second amendment and guns? If so you are playing about 3 bars above my comprehension level, but I think perhaps you want me to compromise my beliefs, the ones that were granted by God and enumerated in both the US and state constitutions, and I'm not much on compromising those principals, so I don't reckon I'll get in your game.

Thanks for another demonstration on how not to compromise and remain open minded. May I kindly direct you to RJC's threads. You will find plenty there that share your beliefs. Probably even get offered a beer.
:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread