Homeland Security has finally figured out what to do during a shooting spree!!!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, We all wonder what we would do if caught in a situation like that and no longer had weapons or ammunition.

Well, remember the old "Duck and Cover" PSA's? This is a step ahead of that. Take control of your destiny!
Run away, orhide under your desk, or maybe,, just get a pair of scissors and overpower the attacker!
Homeland Security has advice for confronting mass murders: scissors - NYPOST.com

A Fantastic, informative and hopeful report on the plan to get yourself out of a lethal situation.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Worked in a school district that bought large pairs of scissors and paid $.78 a pair for them. Cheap, poor cutting, fall apart easily, dull scissors. Hate to think of trying to stay alive with those and I shudder to think what the elementary teachers would do with those rounded, plastic ones they get...

Britman

Greenie
Jan 11, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought this was a metal detecting/treasure hunting website? What's this got to do with it?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Britman.........this is a treasure site but there are also sections where members can discuss everything except religion or politics. You clicked on "Everything Else" and then clicked on this thread.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I loved the way the girl in the pants suit with the high heals got out the door before everyone else then stood in the doorway so the shooter had a better chance of hitting her while she dialed her phone . . .

Guess they want to make sure the shooter has a target rich environment. Wouldn't want to waste a good tragedy . . .

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the article, this is what you do when the police arrive.

“Put down any items. Immediately raise your hands,” is the closing advice.

You better, the cops have guns although the killings have usually ended by the time they arrive. The cops are the ones that don't need guns, just yellow tape.

OP
OP
Dave44

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but the one caught in open ground and tried to overpower the attacker with scissors probably isn't around anymore to worry about it either.
In the Untouchables, "they bring a knife, we bring a gun",, Great mobster film.

I am gonna go here though. Google that phrase. A relatively famous man used this phrase trying to get elected in 2008

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A serious suggestion here though for anyone that might want to protect themselves in places the law won't allow. A can of wasp spray can work wonders. Get the can for "outdoor use only" and keep it on your desk with the lid already removed and the safety stop, if applicable, removed. Basically have it in the ready-to-use mode. This stuff has a range of 15-20 feet and is worse than pepper spray. Water alone will not stop its effects, only a doctor can help you if sprayed. Homeland Security will probably outlaw the stuff when they hear about it. Then they will take all of the confiscated cans and route through the Texas border to the Mexican cartel. I'm sure PETA hates the stuff already.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll never forget a news story of a shooting somewhere in Miami. There was an older black gentlemen, he had run for his life (I guess assumming that everyone else was doing the same).
He said during the war, he saw what happened to men, that didn't cut and run, when being shot at.

I think the situation would/should warrant, the result that was needed, if one is operating with a clear head, and some type of plan/training/forethoughts. There may be a time and place for all things. One always hopes they would take the appropriate or right actions, to keep themselves, loved ones, and others, alive.

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'll never forget a news story of a shooting somewhere in Miami. There was an older black gentlemen, he had run for his life (I guess assumming that everyone else was doing the same).
He said during the war, he saw what happened to men, that didn't cut and run, when being shot at.

I think the situation would/should warrant, the result that was needed, if one is operating with a clear head, and some type of plan/training/forethoughts. There may be a time and place for all things. One always hopes they would take the appropriate or right actions, to keep themselves, loved ones, and others, alive.

I like your thinkin..but from experience I can tell you the fight or flight instinct is a SOB! Served 22 years and been put in the situation many times and the self preservation took a quick hold on me! With that said...some people have that disposition to fight and that makes them my hero!!

Women on the other hand just step between the kids or man and stand by!!!!!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your thinkin..but from experience I can tell you the fight or flight instinct is a SOB! Served 22 years and been put in the situation many times and the self preservation took a quick hold on me! With that said...some people have that disposition to fight and that makes them my hero!!

Women on the other hand just step between the kids or man and stand by!!!!!
when one has trained, disciplined, and practised actions, much as our military instills and enforces, certain things can and do become innate responses. One truly can not know what one will do, until in the shoes and situation.

In survivor counseling, I have been told, I did the right thing, I was still alive, and THAT was proof enough. It is sad, that many will, woulda/coulda/shoulda. Sometimes some forethoughts/training/awarenesses, will help to serve one, when someone you do not even know, has to come out within you, and do the things, you would never thought you would have to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread