Some historical information to help.

lorddean13

Jun 13, 2012
Warminster PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am starting this thread because there is a place where history and facts hold no relevance. I have been in the history field for a while and it literally hurts me when I see non factual information being passed as fact. So through out my thread I will do my best to tackle some of these discrepancies. There will be NO arguments and I will provide supporting documentation where possible. So let the information flow begin.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I am starting this thread because there is a place where history and facts hold no relevance. I have been in the history field for a while and it literally hurts me when I see non factual information being passed as fact. So through out my thread I will do my best to tackle some of these discrepancies. There will be NO arguments and I will provide supporting documentation where possible. So let the information flow begin.

Well; there is HISTORY... PRE-HISTORY... MYTHS... LEGENDS... WHERE to begin...?

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck! I tried a fact / truth thread on the constitution. You realize quickly how "subjective" the truth can be to some. With the internet every nutter with a website is an expert and the crazier the idea the more attention they get. Best of luck.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe start a little dialog of current conventional wisdom on Western Hemisphere visitations? Took a while for science to accept the Viking theory which I think is widely accepted and backed by physical proof. Any other theories being serious kicked around?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
"Peer reviewed" is about grant money, so I have little to no respect for that idea. I can get three rednecks with 5 teeth between them and get "peer reviewed". Peer reviewed simply means that people of like minds and status agree with it. It has nothing to do with truth but everything to do with popularity.

Cajuns have a phrase for "peer reviewed" --- "They is in cahoots!"

OP
OP
lorddean13

lorddean13

Jun 13, 2012
Warminster PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am one of those people who receives grant money lol so I'm in cahoots with my fellow academics.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a good thread idea but it is very broad. Also Lord I like your new avatar.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe start a little dialog of current conventional wisdom on Western Hemisphere visitations? Took a while for science to accept the Viking theory which I think is widely accepted and backed by physical proof. Any other theories being serious kicked around?

Sorry lordden,
Being quite near copper country where vast quantities left for where ?.other cultures visiting to acquire it is intriguing. Rivers a couple thousand years ago could have been utilized as well. With your back ground have you encountered any proof of Phoenicians on east coast or is it just rumor?

OP
OP
lorddean13

lorddean13

Jun 13, 2012
Warminster PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relevant, haven't done much research on Phoenicians but there is speculation in some paleoarcheology circles that there might have been trade between native Americans and Carthage. As for the copper you discuss I have no idea what you're talking about.

OP
OP
lorddean13

lorddean13

Jun 13, 2012
Warminster PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-3701939678.jpg my favorite find.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relevent, are you near the Gila wilderness?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Relevent, are you near the Gila wilderness?

I,m s.e. of lake superior copper country. (Its in michigans upper peninsula) Keewenaw peninsula and isle royal the sites of copper mining going back a couple thousandsears plus. 500,000 tons alleged to have come out . Tools left and techniques have created speculation.
The s.w. U.S.has seen interest along the old rivers yes. more than just the mississippi!.

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,m s.e. of lake superior copper country. (Its in michigans upper peninsula) Keewenaw peninsula and isle royal the sites of copper mining going back thousands of years plus. 500,000 tons alleged to have come out . Tools left and techniques have created speculation.

Oh, Love a mystery, haven't heard of that, Thanks

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brilliant toning Lord. Beautiful coin.

Relevent- I thought you may of been talking about these mines. Have you been watching America Unearthed?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No, no cable package to access,p.b.s. about the only educational programing i watch.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Do you know anything about the Sommer Islands{Bermuda} as I am very interested because the tokens are very rare and I believe they{Thomas Tew} came here somehow as a hidden colony} about 300 years ago circa 1685?, due to findings with hogge/ship logo see avatar, there even is a rock here with an "X" chiseled into it visible at low tides. I think I have a III pence but it is perhaps a different variety from the red book and PCGS has not been of help. Notre Dame Colonial coins site covers the tokens but most are well worn down by the Sea on my Island. HH Boris :4leafclover::4leafclover::4leafclover::4leafclover: 20120511_105751.jpg

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave 44, if you google missing copper Michigan it should have some info.to get you started.

Lordean,any update on lost colony of roanoak?
Carthage,thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread