Kennesaw, Georgia requires gun ownership

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Kennesaw, Georgia requires gun ownership, and is one of the safest family towns in America

Thursday, January 31, 2013 by: Jonathan Benson, staff writer

(NaturalNews) It has been featured as one of the top 10 best towns in America for families by Family Circle magazine, and it has one of the lowest crime rates in the entire Atlanta metropolitan area. But one little-known fact about Kennesaw, Georgia, population 30,000, is that heads of household living in the town are required by law to own at least one firearm. And this atypical mandate has played a crucial role in making Kennesaw the safe, family-friendly town that it is today.

Originally passed by the Kennesaw City Council with a unanimous vote back in 1982, the law's stated purpose is to "protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants." And over the past 30-or-so years since the law's enactment, police and other local officials have on numerous occasions told the media that Kennesaw's gun ownership law has resulted in a drastic crime reduction throughout the area.

"When the law was passed in 1982, there was a substantial drop in crime ... and we have maintained a really low crime rate since then," explained police Lt. Craig Graydon to Reuters back in 2007 following the Virginia Tech shootings about the Kennesaw gun law. "We are sure it is one of the lowest (crime) towns in the metro area."

Kennesaw's success with mandatory gun ownership parallels that of the European nation of Switzerland, where similar laws at the national level require individuals to own guns and ammunition. And just like in Kennesaw, Switzerland's crime rate is among the lowest throughout Europe, which can be directly attributed to the country's embedded culture of responsible gun ownership.

"Social conditions are fundamental in deterring crime," explained Peter Squires, a professor of criminology and public policy at the University of Brighton in the U.K., to TIME recently about the value of promoting a culture of responsible gun ownership. "If people have a responsible, disciplined and organized introduction into an activity like shooting, there will be less risk of gun violence."

Gun ownership encourages civic
responsibility, peaceful society
In other words, if owning guns and being trained to use them properly and accurately is engrained into the social structure as being normal, a "culture of support" will be fostered in which people rely on one another for protection. And according to Squires, this culture of support and the sense of civic responsibility it nurtures ultimately helps deter mass shootings rather than promote them. It also advocates a peaceful society composed of well-trained, well-protected individuals who look out for their own families and for one another.

This contrasts sharply with the current national debate on gun control, where many left-leaning politicians are claiming that increased gun restrictions will help reduce crime and promote a civil society. But what they fail to mention is that cities like Washington D.C. and Chicago, where gun restrictions are currently among the strictest in the nation, also have some of the worst crime rates in the nation. With this in mind, would you rather live in a gun-control haven like Chicago or a gun-embracing family town like Kennesaw?

Sources for this article include:

Business & Financial News, Breaking US & International News | Reuters.com

The Daily Caller

World | International Headlines, Stories, Photos and Video | TIME.com

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
ROFLMAO, all these heartfelt posts and tears we share together...this is what you contribute? Give it a rest for one night. Your guns will be here tomorrow.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sister lives in the county next to Kennesaw. Her husband is a cop for Marietta. I know they all have guns.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
ROFLMAO, all these heartfelt posts and tears we share together...this is what you contribute? Give it a rest for one night. Your guns will be here tomorrow.

If you dont like it dont read it,common sense.By the way youre nobody to tell me what to do.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you dont like it dont read it,common sense.By the way youre nobody to tell me what to do.

For every positive proton there is a negative electron. Ying and Yang. I am your foil, your protagonist. You can't exist without me. I am everybody to you. Without me, you would not exist. We keep the world in balance.

Good night!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
For every positive proton there is a negative electron. Ying and Yang. I am your foil, your protagonist. You can't exist without me. I am everybody to you. Without me, you would not exist. We keep the world in balance.

Good night!

LOL!

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Good night!

I think therefore I am.Sorry crispin youre not required for my existence.:sign10:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red,

You're a hoot.....here's a tune to cheer you up and keep things in perspective....lol.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry bill i never got into sonny and cheer,hope they arent part of your style:laughing9:What makes you think i need cheering up,assuming is bad business bill.I'm in a pretty good mood actually.Heres a better one.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
wont give "it"a rest for one second.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is such ancient news. Everyone packs on their hip in Kennesaw, Ga.Been doing it for around 30 years now. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep it civil gentleman...... Admins have said allow 2nd amendment post for now so as long as they pertain to 2nd they are allowed.....

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why not just have a political section on the sight. Save you guys lots of trouble in having to shut down threads. Seems like plenty of politiks already being discussed. Just a thought.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think therefore I am.Sorry crispin youre not required for my existence.:sign10:

O, I agree, you would exist without me. No doubt about that, but not in your current form. I wasn't talking about 'me' specifically. I was referring to me as all the people you post about, all the people in DC, all the people who want compromise, and all the people that 'you' think are taking your rights away. If 'you' could wave a magic wand, and 'poof,' we all disappear, then where would 'you' be left? There would be no need for 'you' to post on this forum. Everybody would be in100% agreement with you.

No, 'you' need me and people like me to disagree with. Without us 'you' would not be 'you,' 'you' would not exist. You would exist, but as a different entity entirely. Kind of a Zen thing, if we are lucky then Rebel or PTC will explain it.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No, 'you' need me and people like me to disagree with. Without us 'you' would not be 'you,' 'you' would not exist. You would exist, but as a different entity entirely. Kind of a Zen thing, if we are lucky then Rebel or PTC will explain it.

Once again you are wrong,I can get along quite fine without having somebody to disagree with.Can you?I doubt it.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am all for arming citizens,,, I just hope with this requirement that inexperienced and uneducated firearm owners have classes readily avalible to them to teach them proper handling of these weapons.. Last thing we want is some moron making bad publicity for firearms due to no knowledge of one and misuse or mishandling... Just my thoughts....

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am all for arming citizens,,, I just hope with this requirement that inexperienced and uneducated firearm owners have classes readily avalible to them to teach them proper handling of these weapons.. Last thing we want is some moron making bad publicity for firearms due to no knowledge of one and misuse or mishandling... Just my thoughts....

Most towns that have rod and gun clubs will usually give free hunter safety courses open to nonmembers.They do around here anyway.Massachusetts requires it to obtain a firearms I.D. and a hunting license.New Hampshire requires it to obtain a hunting license.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most towns that have rod and gun clubs will usually give free hunter safety courses open to nonmembers.They do around here anyway.Massachusetts requires it to obtain a firearms I.D. and a hunting license.New Hampshire requires it to obtain a hunting license.

In Florida your required to take a gun safety class ($75 from most gun stores) or have a DD-214 from the military showing you were honorable discharged from service, along with your fingerprints and passport photo to apply for a concealed carry license.

$70 to file the concealed carry application, $42 cost for digital fingerprints and $10 for passport photo... Total of about $127 with postage, you have to mail it in.....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread