Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on how long of a jail sentence you're comfortable with.

Stick with good locks, a driveway gate and perhaps a game camera or two.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it is not legal. Many years ago some people I was aquainted with had their house robbed a number of times while they were gone. They rigged a shotgun on the stairway handrail inside the house. It DID shoot a robber but it didn't kill him. The robber ended up owning their house. Imagine what would happen if something happened to you while you were away and a unsuspecting family member had to enter your home or what if a fireman had to get inside to put out a fire. Don't rig traps, they can only hurt you in the end.

Last edited:

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On Beaver Island in Lake Michigan there was a handyman back in the day working on a house. He was leaving for the weekend so rigged a shotgun to fire if someone opened the door. One of the young local girls went out to visit him and bring him lunch, opened the door and blew her head off. It would be cheaper to invest in good secure locks and doors and an alarm company then to pay a wrongful death suit.

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That which can't be found, can't be stolen. Turn some of your treasure hunting knowledge into treasure hiding knowledge. Secret doors and hidden storage is your friend.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No not legal...... Dogs and good alarm system is way to go.

Mine works with both land line and cell so even if someone cuts my land line alarm still works....police still dispatched if it how's off and I'm not home...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Mine works with both land line and cell so even if someone cuts my land line alarm still works....police still dispatched if it how's off and I'm not home...

What system do you have, does it require a subscription to a service? Does it record video?

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter said:

And how long is it gonna take those cops to get there. How is a dog gonna stop someone with a gun?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stock what is your problem?

Question was is it legal? Answer is no it is not. Fact is most crooks will go find a house that has no dogs or alarms as they prefer silence and stealth over a major racket with neighbors looking outside to see what all the racket and alarms is about and some of them coming outside*armed to see.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Stock what is your problem?

Question was is it legal? Answer is no it is not. Fact is most crooks will go find a house that has no dogs or alarms as they prefer silence and stealth over a major racket with neighbors looking outside to see what all the racket and alarms is about and some of them coming outside*armed to see.

Not sure why you are getting so agitated about a thread discussing home defense? I have the right to defend my home as I see fit. Not sure why you are being so confrontational? Don't you believe that someone has the right to protect their home, property and loved ones or are you going to count on the police to do that? And I don't recognize any laws that deny my constitutional right to defend myself and my way of life.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the best 'home defense' is a good 'home offense.' I'm with stockpicker on this one. I have a right to protect my property. Any law that violates my basic constiutional liberties is negated and unlawful in and of itself. Besides, what is the difference if a thief gets bit by my dog or if hit by my trap? Are we now going to make dogs illegal? What if a thief trips on my stairs? Are we going to make stairs illegal? I'm bobby trapping my house tonight.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin said:
I think the best 'home defense' is a good 'home offense.' I'm with stockpicker on this one. I have a right to protect my property. Any law that violates my basic constiutional liberties is negated and unlawful in and of itself. Besides, what is the difference if a thief gets bit by my dog or if hit by my trap? Are we now going to make dogs illegal? What if a thief trips on my stairs? Are we going to make stairs illegal? I'm bobby trapping my house tonight.

And crispin, that dog of yours probably not going to take out 10 armed intruders. Maybe 9, but definitely not ten.

I don't care how big and bad your dog is - throw him a steak and you might as well have nothing. Or just a bullet in the head.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stock we know who is being confrontational....

Diesel, yes it is a paid service, last time alarm went off and I did not answer the phone police were there in 2 cars in 10 mins....No video, it was extra, but if alarm goes off it has inhouse mike that they can monitor conversations. Insurance covers anything they can get when I am not home. When home I have a 12 ga semi-auto shootgun, 5 shot loaded with buckshot, 2 9MM pistols in different parts of my home loaded as well as a 22 pistol and 22 rifle both loaded....

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why you are getting so agitated about a thread discussing home defense? I have the right to defend my home as I see fit. Not sure why you are being so confrontational? Don't you believe that someone has the right to protect their home, property and loved ones or are you going to count on the police to do that? And I don't recognize any laws that deny my constitutional right to defend myself and my way of life.

See, we don't get to chose which laws we like or not. Our society has done that for us, like it or not. And that same society has said your local burglars life is more valuable than your stereo. I know, it seems crazy but that's just the way it is.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

For what it's worth....lock all the doors and close windows at night.....outside lights on and the usual precautions....stash our valuable in a well hidden spot.....luckily we've only had one attempted break in over the years...yeah I know I live in a boring neighborhood which is probably why I hang out here......true story coming up.

About 5 years ago a cat burglar tried to break in through the kitchen window while were asleep....foolishly left that window not completely shut....he slashed the outside screen with a knife and started sliding the window open....well what he didn't know is we have some 1" stick we use to keep the windows from being pried open.....the stick falls on the counter and wakes us up.....

I'm sleeping in the basement....so probably was in the doghouse for some reason or other.....sure you guys can relate....lol.

Hollered to my wife to phone 911 and used my Spart type of logic....grabbed my detector and was going to clobber him if he came inside and rob him.....sort of a tit for tat thing.....then I planned on hog tying him and waiting for the police
and telling them he must have hit his head on the floor when he came in through the window....lol.

Heck and I didn't even know Spart back then....

Regards + HH

Bill

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Folks,

For what it's worth....lock all the doors and close windows at night.....outside lights on and the usual precautions....stash our valuable in a well hidden spot.....luckily we've only had one attempted break in over the years...yeah I know I live in a boring neighborhood which is probably why I hang out here......true story coming up.

About 5 years ago a cat burglar tried to break in through the kitchen window while were asleep....foolishly left that window not completely shut....he slashed the outside screen with a knife and started sliding the window open....well what he didn't know is we have some 1" stick we use to keep the windows from being pried open.....the stick falls on the counter and wakes us up.....

I'm sleeping in the basement....so probably was in the doghouse for some reason or other.....sure you guys can relate....lol.

Hollered to my wife to phone 911 and used my Spart type of logic....grabbed my detector and was going to clobber him if he came inside and rob him.....sort of a tit for tat thing.....then I planned on hog tying him and waiting for the police
and telling them he must have hit his head on the floor when he came in through the window....lol.

Heck and I didn't even know Spart back then....

Regards + HH

Bill

I have no fear of cat burglars...I don't own any. Dog burglars on the otherhand...they scare me.

Crispin

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, we don't get to chose which laws we like or not. Our society has done that for us, like it or not. And that same society has said your local burglars life is more valuable than your stereo. I know, it seems crazy but that's just the way it is.

In Florida we have the " Stand your ground law", if someone enters my home and i feel my family or my life is in danger or my property is in danger we are allowed to use deadly force. Same law applies to your car or person......If I am home and someone breaks in our home they will have to face 12 ga loaded with buckshot, 9mm is backup, we are allowed to defend ourselves... I wouldn't fire till they were inside doorway, but from that point it is game on...Wife is on phone with 911 till they arrive it is my job to protect us..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread