Dogs

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I like dogs. I especially like well trained dogs. Police K-9's, or drug dogs come to mind, and when I read or hear that a Navy SEAL sent in their "hair missal," my mind can conjure up all sorts of really great images, where the dog always wins. And circus dogs, any of you guys remember the trained animals at the circus? The lions weren't happy at all, the elephants didn't act if they cared what was going on, but the dogs were having a ball, loving every second of what they were doing. But my very favorite dogs are stock dogs, sheep dogs and cattle dogs. I love to watch sheep dogs work, but my personal experience is with cattle dogs, and I have some good stories. Everyone in their life is entitled to one good horse and one good dog in their lifetime, and I've had both. My dog was a Queensland blue heeler, and she replaced at least 6 cowboys in the brush. The dog and the horse are both gone along with my youth, but there are good memories, and in the end that's all we really have. Anyhow, I'm getting off target. I was watching the neighbors dog the other day. He has probably the friendliest lab in Oregon, a young dog, and anything that critter is asked to do is his favorite thing. He loves people, he loves to be with people, and most of all he loves to play with people. But on a more serious note, I'm watching out our widow in the morning, and first thing in the morning the neighbor lets Ruger out for his morning necessaries, and that dog sniffs every inch of their yard, and by the time he's done, I think he knows everything that has gone on in the yard the night before. If there was a coon or a skunk, perhaps a deer or a person, Ruger knows it. Now this brings up a question. Do dogs think? When they are sniffing are they seeing pictures of the animal they smell in their mind, or are they deducing much like humans, and if that's the case do they think in a language, like have words for coon or deer. Or perhaps when he's checking out the yard, is he only looking for food or sex, or is their more going on in the dog's mind. I had an uncle that used to say that teen age boys and dogs are a lot alike, if they can't eat it or breed it, then pee on it, but watching Ruger sniff out the yard, I'd like to think he's got more than that going on.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like dogs. I especially like well trained dogs. Police K-9's, or drug dogs come to mind, and when I read or hear that a Navy SEAL sent in their "hair missal," my mind can conjure up all sorts of really great images, where the dog always wins.

Ahh, mans best friend. A very interesting topic :thumbsup:

I would believe that animals in general are further advanced than man in several areas, including use of their senses and to a degree thinking. Not only cant they think, but dogs, like cats (just more aloof) understand commands. Remember, theses pets can pick up and probably understand more languages than we can. Those that want to argue that they are taught commands, well duh, so are people. :laughing7: Try this, go to any foreign country where you do not know the language and try to complete the simplest of commands barked at you :tongue3:

Now let's look at the senses hall we.
1- Sight, animal is far superior to man in this sense. With the most minimal light source, these animals will run circles around us and avoid obstacles with ease. Man will inch along and find obstacles by Woody Allen's sound method a bump, thud, and bruise. Why? Because animals can reflect light just like their eyes are little flashlights. That's why you can see their eyes in the dark, it's no reflection, it's a beam of light. Don't believe it. try a room with minimal light and place an animal and a person, you will see the animals, but never a human eye.

2- Smell. Again, I would say the animal is heads and tails beyond us to the point where this sense is directly linked to taste. They can not only identify the odor, but probably knows just what it tastes like too.

I'll stop here and give others a chance to chime in :tongue3:

Then again on the lighter side of this issue, a well trained dog will really give you something to worry about, once they master usage of the gun. He will no longer be mans best friend, but rather an adversary :laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dogs are smarter than people think. I believe after they grow out of puppy stage they really can focus in on their thoughts. I think they have a language they think in. Dogs are for sure more advanced than we know.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Great subject,

This is a testament to a dog's unconscious: Dogs dream. Anybody who has had a dog sleep with them in bed knows this. I have to wake my puppy up almost nightly when she has nightmares. I think she somehow senses mine. She is a tremendous empath.

Crispin

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one believe dogs are alot smarter than people believe they are.. I have a pitbull his name is buddy and next to my wife he is my best friend and sometimes she will swear I love my dog more than her.. Not true but I would'nt trade either of them for anything.. Buddy knows everything that goes on in our house from when the school bus stops to pick up and drop of the neighboor kids to when me and my wife have to work.. Just the other day I got up to go to work for a day of overtime.. I woke up to Buddy sitting at the front door looking at me like hey you don't work today why are you up.. I called my wife on my lunch break and she tells me that he has spent the entire afternoon pacing the house and she tells me I have a surprise when I get home.. So I get home around 6 o'clock and there in front of the door is a chewed up pair of workboots.. The bad part was he had to chew the box they were in to get to them.. Yeah they were brand new.. The wife said apparently you were'nt supposed to work today.. I think maybe she was right.. Look i'm not saying dogs are as smart as people but they are alot smarter than alot of people give them credit for.. So after dinner me and Buddy got in the truck and went and got me a new pair of boots.. Now when I work overtime I not only have to clear it with my wife but Buddy as well.. Hope you enjoy this.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Crepuscular animals eyes have a reflective layer to recycle light,rods,cones vary from ours. We have a dark layer of cells that absorb light limiting use of it.
Dogs are canines and treating them as such are best for them. Spoil them all you want and compare them to humans,(mentality of an eight year old about average for adult dogs)treat them as family but learning what a dog is and their ways helps them live much better. They are adaptable lucky for them,but denied socialization with humans when young or denied being a "dog" can affect them quite negatively. And dogs are the ones who loose when they don,t get along with people. While training is of huge importance for optimum performance in, a few homes its not the dog needing training as much as owner(s).

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crepuscular animals eyes have a reflective layer to recycle light,rods,cones vary from ours. We have a dark layer of cells that absorb light limiting use of it.
Dogs are canines and treating them as such are best for them. Spoil them all you want and compare them to humans,(mentality of an eight year old about average for adult dogs)treat them as family but learning what a dog is and their ways helps them live much better. They are adaptable lucky for them,but denied socialization with humans when young or denied being a "dog" can affect them quite negatively. And dogs are the ones who loose when they don,t get along with people. While training is of huge importance for optimum performance in, a few homes its not the dog needing training as much as owner(s).
I agree with you 100% about the owners.. As I said in my previous post I own a pitbull and I hate the label that goes along with the name pitbull.. Buddy is the most loving dog I have ever owned.. People get the wrong impression about this breed in my opinion because the only time you see these dogs is when they are mistreated and acting violent because of poor ownership.. Alot of these dogs are owned simply because of their intimidation factor and taught to be violent and when they are they are labeled and destroyed in the public eye.. I for one would like to get one of these owners that uses one of these dogs for fighting or abuses them to the point of being mean alone in a room and beat the snot out of him.. I know that sounds extreme but it breaks my heart when I see this happen to this breed of dogs and then look at mine and wonder if I did'nt bring him home where he might have ended up..

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My partner raised akitas and rotts for many years,disproving reputations a big part of it.
She was a trainer too. I like the dogs to give me a heads up when there is traffic,that's it. Ruin their chances in life by encouraging violence, i am supposed to be nice to people but i,m with you pong:boxing:It would be wrong but earned, some one likes unfair fights at dogs expense they deserve an unfair fight them selves.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i raised boxers for over 2o years, owned 6 that were mine, they are fantastic dogs, loyal as can be and will defend their owner to the death.... I traveld on the road for years and always had one with me, they saved me several times when someone tried to rob me and did not see I had a 90 lb male boxer with me...

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a "drop off" that is the sweetest dog I've ever had. She has lived with us for 10 years now. When I first found her she was about 6-8 mths old & very afraid of people. It took quite a long time to earn her trust, but we did. She is such a love! I hate to think about the abuse she must have suffered before she came to us.
Last yr we lost our golden retriever to old age. He was such a blast! He use to jump off the rocks with us when we went swimming. He was my daughters best bud, & we miss him every day. I can't imagine my life without a dog. They are such wonderful friends, & make life fuller & a lot more fun.

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
We love our pitbulls to death. They are definatly part of the family.

Attachments

• image-4266421626.jpg
    image-4266421626.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 85

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:
We love our pitbulls to death. They are definatly part of the family.
I would love to have another on but I don't think Buddy would stand for it... Beautiful dogs glad to know that there are people that know the true nature of this breed.. Thanks for sharing the pic of your dogs..

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
I can understand that. We have jealousy issues all the time between ours. I have a 5 year old daughter that is so attached to the dogs. She plays with them outside for hours on end.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand that. We have jealousy issues all the time between ours. I have a 5 year old daughter that is so attached to the dogs. She plays with them outside for hours on end.
They are not called nanny dogs for nothing.. Mine loves kids he loves it when my friends bring their kids to the house.. He thinks they are there just to see him..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions