onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For education help? Most student's get free food, free rides, free cell phones, snow day's hot day's almost 3 months vacation, student loans,some even get free computers.yet with all the money spent already many say we are failing in the world of education. Does more money make you a better teacher? I'm sure when these people study for a teaching position $$$ was not on their mind. Maybe they need the extra money for health care because of to much of this...:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

We can use this same question for the jail system maybe cutting cable, coffee, sex change operations, weight lifting equipment, 3 meals a day.And all the people with P.H.D.'s trying to figure out why these people are there to begin with. I say with all the $$$ some countries owe us, have them build a facility to take away our problem. Well then maybe the extra money for education would be enough for most lawyers to study a foreign language:laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point onfire.
Back in the '70's there was a program in Georgia, that was effectivly reducing recidivism and teaching even the hardest of murderers, rapists, and criminals, to restore Love for self and neighbor. The court systems squashed this program most effectivily, because it did not met their agenda. Agenda = more money.

Just as in another thread here, as to "why do police lie under oath"? They are rewarded with grant money, for "appearing" to do something positive (although the ways do not fit the means).
We reward bad behaviour, it seems, and punish the good. This is part of that faulty brain, imo, that is addicted to it's own chemicals.

If prisons were more like, well, prison, where criminals were made to learn better citizenship through work and altruism, made to grow their own food, and be supported by their own funds, instead of the victims shelling out tax dollars for them, perhaps, there wold be a reduction in crime. I really liked what the immigrant man said in the pro gun/pro american thread: Societal decay.
Why is there no longer public service announcements, directing people to be better contributors to society, instead of just takers?

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I helped a young man out of some trouble a while back. Thought he learned his lesson But hanging with the wrong crowd. He ended up spending some time. Thought that would change his way of life. But found out he became a hero with his friends They showed more interest then his parents and I guess it wasn't so bad in the pokey;Sure wish they would build rehab center's next to every lib judge or lawyer on the circuit. Now they have him on mental pills and they think that will solve his problem? He's right back with the same crowd. I think making small stones out of large rocks would work better.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
For education help? Most student's get free food, free rides, free cell phones, snow day's hot day's almost 3 months vacation, student loans,some even get free computers.yet with all the money spent already many say we are failing in the world of education. Does more money make you a better teacher? I'm sure when these people study for a teaching position $$$ was not on their mind. Maybe they need the extra money for health care because of to much of this...:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

That's quite a claim. Source?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Various states have DIFFERENT laws & "political leanings" for education; as an example, when I started at the Max Security Prison in Virginia in 1988, the "pendulum" swung towards Rehabilitation/EDUCATION & Discretionary Parole (time off for good behavior); after I left (1992), it went to Mandatory Parole (serve FULL sentence). Virginia has been MANDATORY since. POINT being is... "BUST" for possession of POT; STATES determine how, how long to "serve time". ONE state gave the OK for RECREATIONAL use of POT; ANOTHER state has POT CLUBS. FED law is... possession/smoking POT is STILL a CRIME. It WILL be interesting to see "how it will be" in 2013.

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For education help? Most student's get free food, free rides, free cell phones, snow day's hot day's almost 3 months vacation, student loans,some even get free computers.yet with all the money spent already many say we are failing in the world of education.

I'll stick with the education issue. Exactly who are these many that say we're failing in this area, Americans? Or is it foreigners :dontknow: It's funny that if an American says that, it's fine; but if a foreigner does it becomes bashing. :icon_scratch:

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you 100% on the education issue, many college grads turned out today are barely literate.

Oh, yeah, I'll post my sources too :tongue3:

It's called real life, living in the corporate world for over 30 years and working with college grads (from top Universities too) that can't even locate Japan on a map :laughing7: No lie :tongue3:

P.S. I don't want to go into their reading comprehension, or writing skills either

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll stick with the education issue. Exactly who are these many that say we're failing in this area, Americans? Or is it foreigners :dontknow: It's funny that if an American says that, it's fine; but if a foreigner does it becomes bashing. :icon_scratch:

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you 100% on the education issue, many college grads turned out today are barely literate.

It's called real life, living in the corporate world for over 30 years and working with college grads (from top Universities too) that can't even locate Japan on a map :laughing7: No lie :tongue3:

P.S. I don't want to go into their reading comprehension, or writing skills either

Don't know if your kidding or not, But I like it. Have fun and ask one what the red button is on a running table saw.:dontknow:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Onfire, as funny as it sounds, is how sadly true it is.

This event was in the mid 80's, and we've slipped a bit since then. Some of things things I say may sound funny, but I'm dead serious on all the replies I give. Well, for the most part anyway :tongue3: In this case it's the sad truth. What made matters in worse, he was a salesman for one of the largest steamship company's in the world. :laughing7: Honestly, I nearly fell out of my chair when he was looking at the seacoast for the port of Tokyo :laughing7:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other

What is this 'Japan' you speak of? I am not familiar with that. My generation does not have maps. We ask our iphones and they tell us how to get there.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crispin, at this time, the iphone was only the twinkling in someones eye :laughing7:

Heck, cell phones were huge walkies-talkies :laughing7:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
onfire said:

We can use this same question for the jail system maybe cutting cable, coffee, sex change operations, weight lifting equipment, 3 meals a day.And all the people with P.H.D.'s trying to figure out why these people are there to begin with. I say with all the $$$ some countries owe us, have them build a facility to take away our problem. Well then maybe the extra money for education would be enough for most lawyers to study a foreign language:laughing7:

I would say there is a huge difference between lower and higher education. Lets not forget that we have the top universities and colleges in the world. People flock from around the world to come to Harvard, MIT, cal tech, Stanford, etc, etc.

I think a lot of it comes down to laziness. Our society is too rich for its own good and kids now a days think everything is handed on a silver platter. Talk to poor LEGAL immigrants that come to this country. They can't believe that all as they have to do is try a bit and school and they will be set for life. They view school as a huge privilege and not a pain in the butt. Look at who becomes our doctors, engineers, etc, etc.

In the end I believe every kid knows that if they do well in school they can have a good life. It all comes down to whether you choose to make that time and effort investment or not. Unfortunately too many find out too late that their screwing around has cost them their future.

Best.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stockpicker, I'll agree with your above post, to a large degree, but I also had noticed something else. Without naming the firm, they are very much into hiring the Ivy League type, most of whom had their parents pay their way. The company was also very fraternal, and positions went to friends and family. I'd say for the most part these kids were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and just believed things were theirs without working for it, and they expected it :laughing7:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:
Stockpicker, I'll agree with your above post, to a large degree, but I also had noticed something else. Without naming the firm, they are very much into hiring the Ivy League type, most of whom had their parents pay their way. The company was also very fraternal, and positions went to friends and family. I'd say for the most part these kids were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and just believed things were theirs without working for it, and they expected it :laughing7:

Don't have to tell me that. I was in the investment banking industry for 20 years. I'd get these kids right out of undergrad who would be earning 6 figures and the only thing out of their mouth was how quickly before they could get promoted and what was their option package!! I always made it a point to hire the kids who worked their way through school and did not have the blue blood advantage. The "entitlement" beliefs of the young is sometimes unbelievable.

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My original question. Was shoving more money towards education would help How? I listened to the king the other day speaking about how important it was for all of us to pay a little more or raise the debt to support this. Back in the 90's when i owned a laser business I made the same amount of profit with a used desk.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They always play the "don't you care about your kids future" card to extort more money out of tax payers. They make it sound like its all going towards, teachers, supplies etc. a lot of it just goes to bureaucrats pockets. Until teacher unions are dealt with extra money will just be thrown down the toilet.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stockpicker, although much of what you said is true, there is a larger reason behind this. It's called too much freedom for students, they do as they please, and have zero respect for authority, yet they expect to be respected all the time :tongue3: I think it's also linked heavily with your entitlement theory :icon_thumright:

That is it in a nutshell :laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spart,

And I thought I was the only one in the transportation industry that came across these types....lol.

True story....McKinsey + Co one of the top notch consulting firms in the world....working on a special project with them....this dude introduces himself and tells us he finished 2nd at his MBA class at Harvard.....arrogant little s.o.b. if you get my drift.

I wasn't overly impressed and mumbled under my breath loud enough for everyone to hear....."we couldn't afford the first place guy or what...lol."

Next group meeting he shows up about 2 hours late from Pittsburgh or some such for the meeting in Toronto....doesn't even apologize and tells us we have to work late for the presentation last minute touch ups to the VP.......my answer "Dude last time I checked......we're behind because you showed up late......also we're paying you and not the other way around....I'm heading back on my schedule flight.....lol"

I guess it fits in with the whole entitlement thing.

Regards + HH

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread