Different types of bias - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 68
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Different types of bias

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16
    us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    10,503
    1052 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    What part of that makes any sense? Seriously, if anybody can make logical sense out of that nonsense I welcome a reply.
    Crispin, apparently RJC is making fun of what I now do as a living. No big deal, it's an honest living. I'm proud to say what I do and could care less about how much I make.

    Besides, I don't judge anyone by their occupation, everyone is entitled to make ends meet.

  2. #17
    ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    14,135
    41562 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Spart,

    Well said....some of my best friends over the years had what's considered blue collar jobs and not always the best paying unfortunately....the size of the bank account is not the measure of a man or woman in my books.

    Rock on dude.

    Regards + HH

    Bill
    Crispin likes this.

  3. #18

    Jun 2007
    21,354
    13794 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bill from lachine View Post
    Spart,

    Well said....some of my best friends over the years had what's considered blue collar jobs and not always the best paying unfortunately....the size of the bank account is not the measure of a man or woman in my books.

    Rock on dude.

    Regards + HH

    Bill
    GREAT! AGREE!

  4. #19
    us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    10,503
    1052 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Bill, like you, we were both in high end sales and sadly for me those days are gone. Done the international thing for a while too and I have to laugh because some people never even left their state and I had great opportunities. I like what I do now too, it got me back into great shape.

    As a matter of fact this scenario fits perfectly into the bias topic. Paraphrasing The Great One, I just hope that some dolts remember to be nice to the people as they climb the ladder, because they'll meet the same people on the way down.
    bill from lachine likes this.

  5. #20
    Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

    May 2012
    12,454
    19525 times
    I,ve had jobs i would have traded Spart in a heartbeat. If its honest work and one has a clear conscious at the end of their shift the rest is not what you earn but what you do with it.

  6. #21
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    8,312
    2990 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I don't know what bias' I have but I do know, if I think someone is full of it, I let them know or ignore them completely. I don't have a list that I go through before responding to make sure I'm being socially correct.
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

  7. #22
    ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    14,135
    41562 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Spart,

    There's a friend who lives nearby.....goes by the pen name Aislin aka Terry Mosher....probably the best caricaturist/satirist
    in Canada and has won more awards than you can imagine.....does loads of charity work a very intelligent and interesting person....you living in NYC area you've probably heard the term mensch.....that term describes him to a tee.

    I'm proud to consider him as a friend because of who he is as a person....all the awards in the world don't faze him one bit.

    Do a google search if you'd like to see some of his work.

    Regards + HH

    Bill




    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus53 View Post
    Bill, like you, we were both in high end sales and sadly for me those days are gone. Done the international thing for a while too and I have to laugh because some people never even left their state and I had great opportunities. I like what I do now too, it got me back into great shape.

    As a matter of fact this scenario fits perfectly into the bias topic. Paraphrasing The Great One, I just hope that some dolts remember to be nice to the people as they climb the ladder, because they'll meet the same people on the way down.

  8. #23
    us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    2,293
    1790 times
    Don't you think bias is the motor that make decisions possible. Bias has a negative connotation for some reason as it seems like a stacked deck. Decisions based not on facts but on bias itself. That being said, I'm not sure a decision can be made w/o bias. I'd go further and say our bias's are who we are. Personality traits.

  9. #24
    us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
    3,574
    2852 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Don't you think bias is the motor that make decisions possible. Bias has a negative connotation for some reason as it seems like a stacked deck. Decisions based not on facts but on bias itself. That being said, I'm not sure a decision can be made w/o bias. I'd go further and say our bias's are who we are. Personality traits.
    hvacker: Sounds like your talking more about prejudice then bias. Prejudice has that same negative connotation because it is usually thrown in with racism. If we did not have prejudice then we would not be able to interact with our environment. Prejudice is simply a preformed opinion. For example, if I told you I was going to introduce you one of my friends who is a basketball player then you would probably expect him to be tall. This may not necessarily be the case but it is a reasonable prejudice. Another example, if I told you I was taking you on a trip to Maine to see Dieselram you would probably pack warm clothes. It will most likely be cold but not necessarily. Prejudice is a combination of upbringing, education, and personality.

    Bias, as I was using the term. Is based on a faulty cognitive processing or filtering of information. It is the opposite of prejudice. Prejudice is a preformed opinion making a judgment on something to occur. Bias is faulty interpretation of facts after occurrence. One does not necessarily preclude the other and they frequently coincide. However, when broken down, they are fundamentally different.

  10. #25
    us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    2,293
    1790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    hvacker: Sounds like your talking more about prejudice then bias. Prejudice has that same negative connotation because it is usually thrown in with racism. If we did not have prejudice then we would not be able to interact with our environment. Prejudice is simply a preformed opinion. For example, if I told you I was going to introduce you one of my friends who is a basketball player then you would probably expect him to be tall. This may not necessarily be the case but it is a reasonable prejudice. Another example, if I told you I was taking you on a trip to Maine to see Dieselram you would probably pack warm clothes. It will most likely be cold but not necessarily. Prejudice is a combination of upbringing, education, and personality.

    Bias, as I was using the term. Is based on a faulty cognitive processing or filtering of information. It is the opposite of prejudice. Prejudice is a preformed opinion making a judgment on something to occur. Bias is faulty interpretation of facts after occurrence. One does not necessarily preclude the other and they frequently coincide. However, when broken down, they are fundamentally different.

    What your calling prejudice I would call assumption. If I assume it's going to rain I'll take my umbrella. Actually I don't have an umbrella but you understand. Your basketball example I would call an assumption. A prejudice for me would be like the word says, to pre judge and usually involves a mental preset. I really see little difference between bias, prejudice and assumption.
    Why do bias' have to be negative. Isn't our interpretation of reality (phenomenon) predisposed by our bias'? It seems to me few see the world without filtering it first through our expectations, prejudices, assumptions. Aren't people that can't filter phenomenon called nuts?

  11. #26
    us
    Oct 2010
    eastern wa
    minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
    1,531
    665 times
    I'm unbiasedly bias.
    bill from lachine and Crispin like this.

  12. #27
    ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    14,135
    41562 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    bevo,

    Now you're getting me confused....lol.



    Quote Originally Posted by bevo View Post
    I'm unbiasedly bias.

  13. #28
    us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
    3,574
    2852 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    What your calling prejudice I would call assumption. If I assume it's going to rain I'll take my umbrella. Actually I don't have an umbrella but you understand. Your basketball example I would call an assumption. A prejudice for me would be like the word says, to pre judge and usually involves a mental preset. I really see little difference between bias, prejudice and assumption.
    Why do bias' have to be negative. Isn't our interpretation of reality (phenomenon) predisposed by our bias'? It seems to me few see the world without filtering it first through our expectations, prejudices, assumptions. Aren't people that can't filter phenomenon called nuts?
    Good counterpoints!
    I agree, it is impossible to see the world without some kind of filter, expectation, prejudice, or assumption. If we woke up in the morning without any of those things we would have no idea how to dress, no idea how to drive, no idea what people we would meet, no idea how to do our job...etc. When I examine patients I attempt to remove all types of prejudice and judgments so I can best treat them. However, I immediately start to filter into categories. Did this person have a stroke? A seizure? Is this depression? Is this pseudodementia? Is this bipolar? I care very little for the actual diagnosis but I use my knowledge, education, and experience to filter things in and out. If I looked at every new pt. without these things it would take me forever and I would make a lot of mistakes. What makes a good doctor different from a bad one is the ability to back the filter up and acknowledge when one made a mistake. But, I digress.

    I don't think bias is negative. It simply is...kind of a zen thing. However, to interpret data without acknowledging possible bias is a negative thing. Good research articles will briefly mention the types of bias in their paper to make the reader more aware.

    I disagree with your definitions of assumption vs. prejudice vs. bias. I think prejudice is intimately tied to preformed constructs of the world. I think assumptions are not necessarily so. Let us take the theoretical example from my other thread and break down the three.
    Bias: Availability bias: people use most recent examples as the norm. Sandy Hook killer may have been schizo, the pt. in the theoretical example is schizo. Both of these schizophrenics are violent; therefore, most schizophrenics are violent. (This is fundamentally wrong, most schizophrenics are not violent.)
    Assumption: Pt. in example is schizophrenic, pt. will most likely walk into a school and kill kids. No, in fact, pt's violence is directed towards pt's boss and pt's self.
    Prejudice: Pt. is schizophrenic. Therefore, she is probably homeless. Again, false, pt. has a job.

    People that can't filter phenomenon are indeed nuts...I cite Bill and Spartacus as examples.

  14. #29
    us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    10,503
    1052 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    People that can't filter phenomenon are indeed nuts...I cite Bill and Spartacus as examples.
    Oh, Bill and I filter things, too bad our filters are like sieves

    You know that little thing inside your head that stops you from saying certain things

    Yeah, I don't have one of those

  15. #30

    Jun 2007
    21,354
    13794 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus53 View Post
    Oh, Bill and I filter things, too bad our filters are like sieves

    You know that little thing inside your head that stops you from saying certain things

    Yeah, I don't have one of those
    LOL! ALL in ALL, it is good. Ends up in PRE-SELECTIVE decision making, PRE-SELECTIVE reading, PRE-SELECTIVE... EVERYTHING! It's a LAW OF ATTRACTION thing; "LIKE attracts LIKE"; SOME "pro-filing" is BOUND to happen... DO ZaZen; "DO... NOT try... DO!" (Yoda at 850 years of age). Yoda lives til 900 years of age, then TRANSFORMED... to become BUDDHA I.
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Feb 14, 2013 at 08:26 PM.

 

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Types?
    By DigginThePast in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar 23, 2011, 07:11 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: Sep 25, 2010, 09:56 PM
  3. How many types??
    By bravowhiskey in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Sep 30, 2009, 10:38 PM
  4. Several different types
    By irbaddadjoe in forum Fossils
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul 03, 2009, 10:48 AM
  5. Is there some kind of bias against Minelab Machines?
    By BamaBill in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Aug 14, 2008, 08:42 PM

Search tags for this page

10 types of new biases, give examples with some discussion for any 3 types of new biases.
,
bias types
,
different kinds of bias
,

different types of bias

,
different types of bias in research
,
different types of biases
,
different types of research bias
,
types of bias
,
what are the different types of bias
,
what is bias and the different types
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0