Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Different types of bias

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    1712 times
    Prejudices seem pre conceived and ridgid and assumptions might be at that moment. Your example of the basketball player was assumed to be tall. Because I don't follow basketball I also assumed the player was tall and black as most I've seen on TV were tall and black and from my own experience I know white guys can't jump. (another assumption)
    When bias', expectations, and assumptions really get in the way is in working in an area dealing with science or even some tech fields. If a scientist or tech, for instance, doesn't approach a problem with a blank slate they will be doing bad science. Scientific Method says to begin with a question not an answer.
    People naturally practice Scientific Method. It's our nature just as logic is. It can surprise Techs when they discover they have been practicing scientific method and didn't know what it was. But something happens when a person fails to follow the steps in the Method and takes short cuts. That's the best way to get wrong answers.
    For those that don't believe people are naturally logical here is a question.
    Statement: All men die. Socrates is a man. Therefore Socrates will.....................Logic is nature. It's just that we throw a monkey wrench in the gears. Were also naturally Luddites.
    Feels like a Friday.
    Last edited by hvacker; Feb 14, 2013 at 01:42 PM.

us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
    2851 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Prejudices seem pre conceived and ridgid and assumptions might be at that moment. Your example of the basketball player was assumed to be tall. Because I don't follow basketball I also assumed the player was tall and black as most I've seen on TV were tall and black and from my own experience I know white guys can't jump. (another assumption)
    When bias', expectations, and assumptions really get in the way is in working in an area dealing with science or even some tech fields. If a scientist or tech, for instance, doesn't approach a problem with a blank slate they will be doing bad science. Scientific Method says to begin with a question not an answer.
    People naturally practice Scientific Method. It's our nature just as logic is. It can surprise Techs when they discover they have been practicing scientific method and didn't know what it was. But something happens when a person fails to follow the steps in the Method and takes short cuts. That's the best way to get wrong answers.
    For those that don't believe people are naturally logical here is a question.
    Statement: All men die. Socrates is a man. Therefore Socrates will.....................Logic is nature. It's just that we throw a monkey wrench in the gears. Were also naturally Luddites.
    Feels like a Friday.
    Sure does feel like a Friday. I'll take the blame for that. This has been a monstrously vicious and stressful week.

If I remember correctly, which I may not, the Scientific Method begins with the Null hypothesis. Given certain parameters of specificity one can either reject the null hypothesis or fail to reject the null hypothesis. Are we talking about the same thing here or is starting off by asking a question a different type of thing?

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    12899 times
    Metal Detecting
    <wonders if Crispin is really that highbrow or only wants to seem so

us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    2851 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-gordon View Post
    I used to have a unibrow but now my wife makes me shave the middle. She refuses to go out in public with me if I don't.

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    34623 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Spart,

That pretty much covers things...lol.....

When people expect us to zig we zag and vice versa.......me thinks people would find us pretty boring if they could figure out how we would respond to a given post, etc....

Better to keep them off balance....it gives us an edge.....I don't think we're any nuttier than some of the other characters on here.....maybe just a bit crunchier than most....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by spartacus53 View Post
    Oh, Bill and I filter things, too bad our filters are like sieves

You know that little thing inside your head that stops you from saying certain things

Yeah, I don't have one of those

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    34623 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    jeff,

Naw....he's just as crazy as the rest of us....he just comes at it from more of an intellectual angle.....heck whenever he posts I have to google some of the words he uses to find out what he's saying....I'm sure he does it just to p*ss me off....but then again I'm fairly erudite when I put my mind to it.....I wasn't quite sure what he said in the penultimate paragraph of an earlier post....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-gordon View Post
    Crispin likes this.

us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    2851 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill from lachine View Post
    jeff,

Naw....he's just as crazy as the rest of us....he just comes at it from more of an intellectual angle.....heck whenever he posts I have to google some of the words he uses to find out what he's saying....I'm sure he does it just to p*ss me off....but then again I'm fairly erudite when I put my mind to it.....I wasn't quite sure what he said in the penultimate paragraph of an earlier post....lol.
    Bill,

The sad thing is that I was trying to humorous in the above post on the null hypothesis. I figured Hvacker is in the research field and would just poke him a little with a stick to see how he replied. Jeff had to go get all serious on me and take all the fun away. Lighten up Jeff, you take things too seriously. New physician order for the BBCamay club: When thinking seriousness of things that are naturally less then seriously serious one must put straws in ones nose.

Jeff, when you go to the ice cream shop do you order a single scoop? My grandfather had a song about that: Single scooper, single scooper, this man is a party pooper.

Crispin

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    34623 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    jeff,

I've had the good fortune or perhaps misfortune of discussing, debating, or whatever you want to call it with some pretty brainy people....including Harvard MBAs......I've more than held my own with them and then some....

But one thing I've learned most of the smartest have an awesome sense of humor and are not above poking fun even at themselves....they just take their brains as a given and don't make a big deal of it....Crispin and Spart fall in that category....and they push me to the limits sometimes in both challenging my brains and my humor....we just play off each others foolishness/twisted sense of humor....and try to have a few chuckles along the way and maybe amuse others as a byproduct.

Regards + HH

Bill

us
    Aug 2012
    MA
    688 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus53

Crispin, apparently RJC is making fun of what I now do as a living. No big deal, it's an honest living. I'm proud to say what I do and could care less about how much I make.

Besides, I don't judge anyone by their occupation, everyone is entitled to make ends meet.
    On a side note, you know what one of those sweepers costs - it's a bloody fortune!!

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    1712 times
    Null hypothesis? Maybe null thesis. Especially on Friday. Me thinks Rebel lives in an antithesis or maybe like a Zen non-thesis. Is there a multi-thesis for those that are indecisive?

Unlike Spartacus, i do judge people by their occupation. For instance, I don't like burglars and a few others. He probably doesn't either.

Not sure where "High Brow"comes from. Many people have no one to talk with. Engage ideas. Even family might roll their eyes if challenging ideas are brought up. Some might even question why your the way you are. Two choices might be.. Engage people or live in your head.

us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    2851 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Null hypothesis? Maybe null thesis. Especially on Friday. Me thinks Rebel lives in an antithesis or maybe like a Zen non-thesis. Is there a multi-thesis for those that are indecisive?

Unlike Spartacus, i do judge people by their occupation. For instance, I don't like burglars and a few others. He probably doesn't either.

Not sure where "High Brow"comes from. Many people have no one to talk with. Engage ideas. Even family might roll their eyes if challenging ideas are brought up. Some might even question why your the way you are. Two choices might be.. Engage people or live in your head.
    I wish my family rolled their eyes at me...they start throwing things. "Two choices might be...Engage people or live in your head." You forgot the third choice. Engage the people that live in your head.

Crispin

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    34623 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Crispin,

Now you're starting to get me worried....hearing voice and talking to them is kind of weird.....

Insofar as discoursing with others....it happens all the time with the missus....heck I usually even get in the last word...."yes dear"...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    2851 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill from lachine View Post
    Crispin,

Now you're starting to get me worried....hearing voice and talking to them is kind of weird.....

Insofar as discoursing with others....it happens all the time with the missus....heck I usually even get in the last word...."yes dear"...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill
    Don't worry Bill,

I have medicine for the voices that live in my head. The tricky part is getting them to be compliant with it. Tricky little buggers, we are.

Jun 2007
    13713 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Don't worry Bill,

I have medicine for the voices that live in my head. The tricky part is getting them to be compliant with it. Tricky little buggers, we are.
    THAT explains EVERYTHING!

us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    2851 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel - KGC View Post
    THAT explains EVERYTHING!
    Zen explains EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING explains nothing, nothing is zen, nothing is EVERYTHING.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links