Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Earlier today I was discussing different types of bias with a friend and how can they effect us. I would like to introduce different types of bias that are considered to commonly exist...here they are:

Cognitive bias: Confirmation bias, Negative bias, Gender bias, Anchoring bias, Memory bias, Overconfidence effect, Positive outcome bias, Optimism bias, Attentional bias.

Social bias: Actor-observer bias, hindsight bias, Egocentric bias, Notational bias, Outgroup homogeneity bias, Projection bias, Self-serving bias, Trait ascription bias, cultural bias, correspondence bias.

Research bias: Social desirability bias, Measurement bias, Experimental bias, Design bias, Quantitative research bias, Qualitative research bias, Selection bias, Systematic bias, Choice-supportive bias Confirmation bias, Congruence bias, Distinction bias, Information bias, Omission bias, Outcome bias, Status quo bias, Unit bias, Zero-risk bias, Subject bias.

Obviously, that is a whole lot of bias. I'm going to discuss just one type of bias in this thread. However, if anybody else wants to pick and discuss a different bias then that would be cool. I am going to talk about Objectivity Bias.

Objectivity bias occurs commonly in the media and on social forums. This can occur when a partisan reporter, journalist, editor, or supervisor attempts to present a non-biased opinion on issues in which they are emotionally invested. Objectivity bias includes all of th different types of bias listed above and is the global summation of bias that occurs during communication. Let me give an example of this type of bias with something I know well, physician objectivity bias.

Physician objectivity bias: It is commonly seen in the medical world when physicians treat their own family members and friends. This ethical guideline is crossed often; and I am no exception to this. However, one must always be aware that this bias is possible or else the results can be disastorous. I have copied and pasted an example from a bioethical blog to better explain:

"Physicians generally should not treat themselves or members of their immediate families. Professional objectivity may be compromised when an immediate family member or the physician is the patient; the physician’s personal feelings may unduly influence his or her professional medical judgment, thereby interfering with the care being delivered. Physicians may fail to probe sensitive areas when taking the medical history or may fail to perform intimate parts of the physical examination. Similarly, patients may feel uncomfortable disclosing sensitive information or undergoing an intimate examination when the physician is an immediate family member. This discomfort is particularly the case when the patient is a minor child, and sensitive or intimate care should especially be avoided for such patients. When treating themselves or immediate family members, physicians may be inclined to treat problems that are beyond their expertise or training. If tensions develop in a physician’s professional relationship with a family member, perhaps as a result of a negative medical outcome, such difficulties may be carried over into the family member’s personal relationship with the physician."

Okay, if you are still reading at this point in time then you are either really bored or really interested in different types of bias. Both of these groups are probably thinking, "When is Crispin going to get to the point and what does this have to do with this forum?" Well, I'm at it:

1. All debates must be regulated by certain rules and guidelines. It is important that we eliminate objectivity bias if we are going to have discussions where everybody's opinion has equal chance of being considered.
2. We must be very careful not to eliminate or exclude others opinions from threads as we are then inserting our own objectivity bias and tarnishing the purity of information being exchanged.
3. We must not use generalizations with negative connotations; as usage of these terms brings in high emotional words with negative bias that distorts the essence of conversation.
and lastly...
4. These rules must be equally enforced and applied to all so one party, group, or individual does not unintentionally gain any bias that would lead to an uneven sharing of information...something none of us want.

I welcome all replies. Especially if Ammonhotep wants to chime in. I think this is one of his areas of expertise.

Crispin

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's alot of types bias... I'm not sure I understand it enough to form an opinion I will leave this one to the experts....

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if your the only Dr. in town? You have 9 kids and 3 wife's (Mormon?)

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
What if your the only Dr. in town? You have 9 kids and 3 wife's (Mormon?)

Anybody who can survive three wives is a much smarter man then me. Not to mention 9 kids. In that case, I think it is okay.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin,

You missed one confusion bias.....because that's where I am after reading this post...lol.

Of course I could always use Rebel's approach and say it's a Zen thing.

Regards + HH

Bill

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Has a bias ply tire been mentioned yet? LOL! :laughing7:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Crispin,

You missed one confusion bias.....because that's where I am after reading this post...lol.

Of course I could always use Rebel's approach and say it's a Zen thing.

Regards + HH

Bill

ALWAYS a ZEN THING! SITUATIONAL BIAS! MY Situational Bias is ZEN PONDERINGS... Try it! "Google" Zen Ponderings... 35,600 "hits"; keep the brain ACTIVE, and MIND "engaged".

Last edited:

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bias is a fascinating topic. I wish I had seen this earlier, Crispin. I'm no expert, but I have done as much research as any graduate student should have done. Social and research biases are those I'm most familiar with.

I think the gist of what you're saying is that we should check the vitriol at the door and do our best to see things from others' perspectives. Perhaps that's too simplistic, but when we realize the limitations of our own views we can truly begin a productive, informative, and enjoyable dialogue with others of differing opinions.

-Ammo

PS, onfire, Mormons haven't had a plurality of wives since the 19th century. This would be an example of attribution bias. :-)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of that makes any sense? Seriously, if anybody can make logical sense out of that nonsense I welcome a reply.

Crispin, apparently RJC is making fun of what I now do as a living. No big deal, it's an honest living. I'm proud to say what I do and could care less about how much I make.

Besides, I don't judge anyone by their occupation, everyone is entitled to make ends meet.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spart,

Well said....some of my best friends over the years had what's considered blue collar jobs and not always the best paying unfortunately....the size of the bank account is not the measure of a man or woman in my books.

Rock on dude.

Regards + HH

Bill

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Spart,

Well said....some of my best friends over the years had what's considered blue collar jobs and not always the best paying unfortunately....the size of the bank account is not the measure of a man or woman in my books.

Rock on dude.

Regards + HH

Bill

GREAT! AGREE!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, like you, we were both in high end sales and sadly for me those days are gone. Done the international thing for a while too and I have to laugh because some people never even left their state and I had great opportunities. I like what I do now too, it got me back into great shape.

As a matter of fact this scenario fits perfectly into the bias topic. Paraphrasing The Great One, I just hope that some dolts remember to be nice to the people as they climb the ladder, because they'll meet the same people on the way down. :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I,ve had jobs i would have traded Spart in a heartbeat. If its honest work and one has a clear conscious at the end of their shift the rest is not what you earn but what you do with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread