onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they should of dug ditches same education different HOLE.

[h=1]Yale Suing Former Students Shows Crisis in Loans to Poor[/h]

Needy U.S. borrowers aredefaulting on almost $1 billion in federal student loans earmarked for the poor, leaving schools such as Yale University and the University of Pennsylvania, with little choice except to sue their graduates. The record defaults on federal Perkins loans may jeopardize the prospects of current students since they are part of a revolving fund that colleges give to students who show extraordinary financial hardship.
Yale, Penn and George Washington University have all sued former students over nonpayment, court records show. While no one tracks the number of lawsuits, students defaulted on $964 million in Perkins loans in the year ended June 2011, 20 percent more than five years earlier, government data show. Unlike most student loans -- distributed and collected by the federal government -- Perkins loans are administered by colleges, which use repayment money to lend to other poor students.

"If you borrow to go to school, it may not be just the government that ends up coming after you if you can't pay," said Deanne Loonin, an attorney with the National Consumer Law Center, a nonprofit advocacy group in Boston. "We offer credit very easily." If the student doesn't benefit financially from the education, "the government or the school comes after them very aggressively."

Perkins Pot
The increase in the amount of defaulted loans among poor students comes as President Barack Obama says he wants to expand access to college for working-class families and increase funding for the Perkins program. Under his proposal, the pot for Perkins loans would increase to $8.5 billion from about $1 billion. The Education Department would service the loans instead of colleges.
Aaron Graff, a farmer's son from Denver, graduated from George Washington in 2010 with the help of $62,500 in scholarships over two years, according to his financial-aid award letters. He defaulted on $4,000 in Perkins loans.
Graff, 30, said he hasn't been able to find a full-time job. He earns $800 a month from teaching high-school equivalency courses and restores basements for extra money. He said he is trying to pay off other student loans first because they were co-signed by his parents. I live on the bare minimum," he said. "It's not like I'm defaulting on my student loans to live the lavish life. I'm defaulting on my loans because I really don't have it."

Perkins loans are given to the most at-risk students, and "they may have the least ability to pay it back,"

Students who take these loans have an obligation to pay them back, said Neal McCluskey an associate director at the Cato Institute in Washington.
"You could take a job at Subway or wherever to pay the bills and that's something you need to do if you have agreed in taking a loan to pay it back," McCluskey said. "It seems like basic responsibility to me."

Costs
With college costs climbing faster than the rate of inflation over the past four decades, students have taken out more loans, swelling outstanding education debt to $1 trillion, more than what Americans owe on their credit cards.

Promissory Note Lopinto, who signed a promissory note in June 2008 to study at Penn's School of Design, according to the university's court filing, didn't return messages left with his father or by e- mail. According to his website, he earned a master's degree in sculpture from the school in 2010.

That's why they call them starving artists A ball of clay and a joint would have been cheaper:laughing7:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
So why have we created a society that basically forces people to go to college when it CLEARLY is not the right choice for many people?

Go into a massive amount of debt before even getting to "square one" only to find out that your chances of success may be slim to none?

Kids that move away to an expensive 4 year college are hurting themselves more than they will ever know. All they are doing is prolonging the "inevitable" and living in a fantasy world for 4 years. Many of them end up so "lost" when they graduate that the reality of facing getting a "real" job and paying "real" bills (which are now due in only 6 months after graduating) can be staggering.

PARENTS need to push their kids to learn a real life skill or trade that they can actually use in today's global economy. Not sure what little Johnny is going to do with that degree in Philosophy. Do you really think kids learn how to live in the real world in college? No, they learn how to live on their own in a fantasy world and how to barely get by just by doing the minimum.

The world needs ditch diggers and pole dancers and you certainly don't need to amass a $62,500 debt to accomplish that.

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judge say's pole dancers can now receive unemployment insurance. :dontknow: Always wanted to go to a unemployment office and say I need a comparable job. (Being a dirigible pilot.)

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
onfire said:
Maybe they should of dug ditches same education different HOLE.

[h=1]Yale Suing Former Students Shows Crisis in Loans to Poor[/h]

Needy U.S. borrowers aredefaulting on almost $1 billion in federal student loans earmarked for the poor, leaving schools such as Yale University and the University of Pennsylvania, with little choice except to sue their graduates. The record defaults on federal Perkins loans may jeopardize the prospects of current students since they are part of a revolving fund that colleges give to students who show extraordinary financial hardship.
Yale, Penn and George Washington University have all sued former students over nonpayment, court records show. While no one tracks the number of lawsuits, students defaulted on $964 million in Perkins loans in the year ended June 2011, 20 percent more than five years earlier, government data show. Unlike most student loans -- distributed and collected by the federal government -- Perkins loans are administered by colleges, which use repayment money to lend to other poor students.

"If you borrow to go to school, it may not be just the government that ends up coming after you if you can't pay," said Deanne Loonin, an attorney with the National Consumer Law Center, a nonprofit advocacy group in Boston. "We offer credit very easily." If the student doesn't benefit financially from the education, "the government or the school comes after them very aggressively."

Perkins Pot
The increase in the amount of defaulted loans among poor students comes as President Barack Obama says he wants to expand access to college for working-class families and increase funding for the Perkins program. Under his proposal, the pot for Perkins loans would increase to $8.5 billion from about $1 billion. The Education Department would service the loans instead of colleges.
Aaron Graff, a farmer's son from Denver, graduated from George Washington in 2010 with the help of $62,500 in scholarships over two years, according to his financial-aid award letters. He defaulted on $4,000 in Perkins loans.
Graff, 30, said he hasn't been able to find a full-time job. He earns $800 a month from teaching high-school equivalency courses and restores basements for extra money. He said he is trying to pay off other student loans first because they were co-signed by his parents. I live on the bare minimum," he said. "It's not like I'm defaulting on my student loans to live the lavish life. I'm defaulting on my loans because I really don't have it."

Perkins loans are given to the most at-risk students, and "they may have the least ability to pay it back,"

Students who take these loans have an obligation to pay them back, said Neal McCluskey an associate director at the Cato Institute in Washington.
"You could take a job at Subway or wherever to pay the bills and that's something you need to do if you have agreed in taking a loan to pay it back," McCluskey said. "It seems like basic responsibility to me."

Costs
With college costs climbing faster than the rate of inflation over the past four decades, students have taken out more loans, swelling outstanding education debt to $1 trillion, more than what Americans owe on their credit cards.

Promissory Note Lopinto, who signed a promissory note in June 2008 to study at Penn's School of Design, according to the university's court filing, didn't return messages left with his father or by e- mail. According to his website, he earned a master's degree in sculpture from the school in 2010.

That's why they call them starving artists A ball of clay and a joint would have been cheaper:laughing7:

Good post onfire - student loan default crisis will be as bad as the mortgage crisis and again cost our government billion and billions and billions as they have backed most of them.

I agree with Ben that kids go off to school, don't try very hard and graduate with a degree that is not going to help them. So they graduate with over $100k in debt and are only able to get a retail job. If your getting top grades and can get into a top school and are ready to work hard - college is def for you. But for many there is absolutely nothing wrong with picking up a trade IMO. College is almost becoming a scam!

Thanks for posting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread