Unusual no trespassing sign raising eyebrows in Bellingham

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Unusual no trespassing sign raising eyebrows in Bellingham

By KOMO Staff Published: Feb 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM PST Last Updated: Feb 7, 2013 at 7:14 AM PST

Unusual no trespassing sign raising eyebrows in Bellingham | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

BELLINGHAM, Wash. -- A no-trespassing sign posted across the street from a local middle school is raising eyebrows in Bellingham, but police say it is completely legal.

The sign, which was posted on private property across from Fairhaven Middle School, warns "semi-literate thieves" that four different types of guns are on site four days a week.

Some parents and residents in the area say having a sign that hints at gun violence so close to young children sends the wrong message. One resident says she noticed the sign go up the same week as the Sandy Hook school shooting in Connecticut.

"We were already crying because of all of the children that had lost their lives and the teachers," said Pat Briggs-Yazzie, "(and then we) noticed the sign. Just infuriated me that somebody would be threatening to shoot people across from our middle school."

"I think it's terrible. I think there's too many guns in this country and it's too violent," added Paul Hammond, who is originally from the United Kingdom. "To me, yes, people kill, but if they didn't have the guns they couldn't use them to kill and guns near schools. It's wrong."

Despite those complaints, police say the sign is completely legal. Officers also say they were called the property back in December after $400 worth of scrap metal and materials was stolen from the site.

"It's a no trespassing sign. It's posted on private property. There are no threats being made on the sign," said Mark Young of the Bellingham Police Department. "It's a legal sign on private property that does not violate any laws that I'm aware of."

The landowner who posted the sign didn't want to comment on it, but some in the area say they understand Second Amendment rights can be displayed in a First Amendment way.

"I work in the construction industry and I know about getting break-ins on job sites, and it's frustrating," said Jeralyn Conrad, whose son is a 6th grade student at Fairhaven Middle School. "I don't have a problem with the sign at all. If I found out he was carrying an arsenal there across the street, then I might have a problem with it."

A Bellingham School District official said the property owner has talked with a school leader, but has no plans to remove the sign.

"We do not support this advertisement of weapons," added district spokeswoman Tanya Rowe in a statement, "but the sign is not on our property and we have no authority on the issue."

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
What a bunch of cry babies.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like he put it up to warn people not to F with the school as well as his property. And yes what a bunch of babies.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ever notice that many no trespassing or beware of dog signs are on properties that likely have absolutely nothing worth taking and often are completely run down. Most of time they are the junkiest house in the area with the local crackpot living there. And absolutely no one has any interest in getting anywhere near the property. When I see these signs all that I can think is - "don't flatter yourself buddy absolutely no one wants any of your junk!!".

Now I'm sure plenty of you have no trespassing signs so don't have a hissy fit or anything I'm just saying this as a funny general observation and not picking on any particular people.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The guy from the u.k. that thinks there are to many guns here should go back....we don't need him here!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Ever notice that many no trespassing or beware of dog signs are on properties that likely have absolutely nothing worth taking and often are completely run down. Most of time they are the junkiest house in the area with the local crackpot living there. And absolutely no one has any interest in getting anywhere near the property. When I see these signs all that I can think is - "don't flatter yourself buddy absolutely no one wants any of your junk!!".

Now I'm sure plenty of you have no trespassing signs so don't have a hissy fit or anything I'm just saying this as a funny general observation and not picking on any particular people.

It stated in the article that $400 worth of scrap metal had previously been stolen. So he did have something worth taking......

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dieselram94 said:
It stated in the article that $400 worth of scrap metal had previously been stolen. So he did have something worth taking......

Just making a generalized comment about no trespassing signs not picking on this particular person. My guess is that the "scrap metal" was probably a rusted out car on blocks in his front yard. My guess is the "theft" was a neighbor paying someone to hall it away because it was killing housing values.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy from the u.k. that thinks there are to many guns here should go back....we don't need him here!

Yep ship him back home to England, they can put up with him.............

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heed the warning or suffer the consequences.... pretty simple

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I see nothing wrong with the sign. First amendment followed by the second amendment. I say well done.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
you're making assumtions stocky.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy and everyone on this board bases all their statements on pure facts with no assumptions being made!!!

It was just a joke as stated above. if you have a bunch NT signs and beware of dog signs all over the yard and feelings were hurt I'm truly sorry.

Think of your thoughts that criminal will not pay attention gun controls. Is a criminal really not going to steal something from you because you have a NT sign in the yard? Prob not. Just makes one look like the local whacko. Probably just makes it more likely to get your house egged.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[ Probably just makes it more likely to get your house egged. ]

Now there is the type of mentality one would like to have meaningful discussions with ......:tongue3::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread