Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of you know who I am and what I do. For those of you who do not...respond to this post in a negative manner and I will bring my full wrath against you.

I had a patient today that I have been treating for years. Current discussions on this forum inspired me to waive his copay. (something I'm 'legally' not allowed to do) He was a combat medic during Vietnam. Everytime he comes I help him process some of his flashbacks. He will not go directly to the VA because of the emotions it invokes being there.

He was riding as combat medic/gunner on a helicopter. They landed to pick up the wounded but there was one too many wounded. The helicopter pilot told them to leave one behind or else they could not take off. My patient replied, "Then leave me behind." The helicopter replied, "No, you must man the gun." My patient replied, "My ammo is spent." He secured the last patient and jumped from the plane. He scrambled amongst the dead bodies for a rifle, he found one. Less then a minute later he faced off against the VietKong, you all know the result.

I thanked him for his service and he started crying. He said, "Yesterday, a random stranger saw my veteran's hat and bought me breakfast. When we first came back from the war we were hated, despised, people attacked us. My commanding officer told me to 'take my uniform off and don't put it back on until you come back into base.'"

I cannot imagine what that would be like.

God bless our Vietnam vets,

Crispin

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Most of you know who I am and what I do. For those of you who do not...respond to this post in a negative manner and I will bring my full wrath against you.

I had a patient today that I have been treating for years. Current discussions on this forum inspired me to waive his copay. (something I'm 'legally' not allowed to do) He was a combat medic during Vietnam. Everytime he comes I help him process some of his flashbacks. He will not go directly to the VA because of the emotions it invokes being there.

He was riding as combat medic/gunner on a helicopter. They landed to pick up the wounded but there was one too many wounded. The helicopter pilot told them to leave one behind or else they could not take off. My patient replied, "Then leave me behind." The helicopter replied, "No, you must man the gun." My patient replied, "My ammo is spent." He secured the last patient and jumped from the plane. He scrambled amongst the dead bodies for a rifle, he found one. Less then a minute later he faced off against the VietKong, you all know the result.

I thanked him for his service and he started crying. He said, "Yesterday, a random stranger saw my veteran's hat and bought me breakfast. When we first came back from the war we were hated, despised, people attacked us. My commanding officer told me to 'take my uniform off and don't put it back on until you come back into base.'"

Crispin

Agree... unfortunately, Jimmy Lee Dykes, down in Alabama was a VietNam Vet; killed school bus driver, took a boy with Autism. In a bunker on his property, booby-trapped; PREVIOUSLY had patrolled his property, ARMED. Warned ppl away; WHY...?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crispin, tell that man, he is Loved, with a Love that one cannot speak or fathom.

The same goes to all our Vets........ :cat:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree... unfortunately, Jimmy Lee Dykes, down in Alabama was a VietNam Vet; killed school bus driver, took a boy with Autism. In a bunker on his property, booby-trapped; PREVIOUSLY had patrolled his property, ARMED. Warned ppl away; WHY...?
Reb, I can only offer that, perhaps, no one had Love enough for their neighbor to be a friend, such as Crispn seeks to do, in his reaching out, helping, listening, and caring for others, that most could not be bothered with.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other

The atrocities of war can destory somebody. Who knows what was really left of HIM.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin,

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again what you do for these people is above and beyond the call of duty and you and the vets deserve our greatest respect and empathy.....

Somebody goes after the vets or you....they better watch their backs because I'm waiting in the bushes for them....and that's not a promise made in jest.

Take care buddy and be strong because these folks need you more than you know.

Regards + HH

Bill

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a veteran of the era, but not the actual war. I was stationed in San Diego and I know what anyone in uniform faced back in that day. I respect all you say on this subject. As a person who was spat upon back then I want to say that I am happy that we have gotten past those days and today's returning vets are more honored and respected. I served on a squad that did a number of funerals and I was so ashamed that very few beyond family would show up back then. Recently I was at the airport when some of our young serving members got off an airplane in uniform and nearly everyone in the flight area stood and applauded. I am happy that we have learned to separate the wars from the warriors. I honor the young man you treat and all the others of that and other eras who served.

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was born just as the Vietnam war was getting started, I have an Uncle who served PROUDLY, who volunteered in The Marine Corp and was there in '67-'68. I am PROUD of him and ALL THE OTHER GUYS THAT SERVED!!!!!!! God Bless You All!!!!!!!!!!! and Thank You!!!!!

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Crispin
You are a good person Crispin, may your Mding and all wishes run true. It was such a strange time for an educated person, as the Army did not like education at all, and denied me promotions, as I was in ROTC in college but quit it before I was paid for it. I did become a SP/4 in less than a year and liked my typewriter in Korea. Did you know they had "medical holdovers" in Missouri? ?POWs and MIAs? I guarded them learning to type for the Adjutant General Corps. They were hurting people bad, ie, bodies in Dumpsters weekly. I got out when I could after 20 months and came back to be a language teacher in HS, but jobs were scarce so I became a Social Worker for 40 years until retirement. I was treated rudely by those whom have no idea what an honorable discharge means at work by the higher ups. They made me get a Dr. letter of being "intact" which was insulting in State Service as I have always loved children and now as grandpa still care. Like I said coming back to be a Mr. again was a strange experience to say the least. 1969-1971 I miss Janis, James and Jimmy too.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God Bless you Crispin and your practice .

God Bless and keep close all Vets and our men & women in uniform .

A poem to show my respect :

I am a U.S veteran; the Armywas my choice. I’m grateful for this moment here to stand and speak my voice. The topic that I represent with pride and glory true, about the flag we know and love; the red, the white and blue. The flag still stands for freedom; for the strong and for the weak. To give us all the right we have to open up and speak. For Flag Day is an honor that we owe our happiness, to soldiers whom have served us well, in this country where we’re blessed.

The U.S flag we know and love Old Glory! Stars and Stripes! May under God, we always pledge, to stand for what is right. Our flag in which we put our faith, our love, our hopes and trust, this flag in which we should respect for righteous peace we must. A flag, that in so many lands, she's horribly abused. By being burned and torn apart, dishonored, and refused. The burning of our nations flag dishonors those who rest. For them I will defend her still and always do my best. To show the people of the world the good that we have done through battles of land, and air and sea, in victories we’ve won.

The colors of our nations flag depict a sacred song, like brothers names upon a wall as those of Vietnam. We’ve planted her on foreign lands in dirt with stains of red, forgetting not, Korean vets whose blood they also shed. The caring of, disabled vets, becomes our nations plight. For wounded heroes shine the way like peaceful stars of white. For World War two, a star of blue is hanging in the glass, while mothers mourn, upon a cross that rests above the grass.

I'm proud to be American, in knowing that I’m free, to men and women whom have served who gave that right to me. For every fallen soldier, and for every life they’d give to guarantee our freedom and the liberty we live. For those who served beside me and for those who serves us now, let us fly our flag up proudly and show other nations how. For a desert’s storm can blind a heart and make some turn their backs, but avenging souls of nine one, one (9*1*1) is why we’re in Iraq. We all need to come together, not divided but as one, to stand up tall to terrorists and show them how it's done!

It brings me such emotion when I think about the brave, the strength, the blood, the sweat and tears their lives in which they gave, for us to have a freedom that no other people know. A life without oppression, where our kids are free to grow. Our troops will have to travel far, with guns in hand, to face the war. They leave their loved ones far behind so we can be with yours and mine. To fly the flag in which we raise, some have to fill an honored grave, with blood they know they’ll have to shed, for stars and stripes of blue and red. The flag draped caskets that we see honoring the bold of those that stay forever young so we can still grow old. We give the flag with memories secured within its folds, to loved ones that are left behind, what’s left of those to hold. What glory and such honor! So brave! So strong! So young! Please rest yourselves in peace my friends, your duty here is done. And though you may not be a soldier fighting for your land their voice is crying from the grave, “Stand up and take a stand!” for of their death and sacrifice they bought a brand new day to wave the flag and raise your hand and let you have your say. So fly that flag with honor through whatever storms descend, that united we shall stand together and be faithful till the end. Until all our soldiers come from war, until the battle ends. Until everyone is safe at home, with family and friends, I shall fly my nations flag with joy for all the world to see that through serving all humanity our freedom isn’t free.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started wearing a veteran hat that my brother gave to me recently. I was shocked to have people on 3 different ocassions walk up to me and thank me for my service. Thing is, that is not why I wore the hat, I wore it because of pride, pride in myself and those who also served. I'm proud DESPITE how others feel about the war (conflict). It's only when another vet says "Welcome home" that I feel something was said from the heart. Now I don't wear that cap anymore; it's too late to thank the old vets, they have all been ridiculed, spat on, thought to all be nutjobs, baby killers or generally despised. I was on 42nd St. in New York City for a New Years celebration in 1965. I was 18 and had already served my first tour. A couple buddies and I went into a bar, in uniform, to get our first beer of the evening. (only had to be 18 to drink beer back then) Place was packed. When I ordered a couple beers, the older bartender asked me if those were "Vietnam ribbons I was SPORTING"? Although I thought "sporting" was a strange choice of words I responded, "Yes Sir, they are". He said, well, I'm not going to serve you or your friends, you'll have to leave. When we put up an argument someone apparently called the cops. Thirteen police cars responded and the cops poured into the place. We were taken into the back kitchen and told that, because he had the sign "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" that he was within his rights to ask us to leave a public establishment although we had done nothing "wrong". That's when I stopped wearing my uniform except to travel.
My best friend did 4 tours in Nam in the Army Airborne. He did some tunnel rat duty on one tour and received 4 Purple Hearts. He was spit on when they were stretchering him into the hospital. A few years back I saw an interview with a Wisconsin newspaper editor (wish I could remember which one) where he stated he doesn't believe any vets were ever spit on or mistreated when they returned from Nam. I can only imagine what this paper prints these days.
Yep, it was like being on your high school football team and having your own hometown fans boo you at homecoming.
Crispin, I'm sure you know your job but, I think your friend SHOULD gather with some vets from his own era. The VA is just another government organization with their own agenda, not the veteran's. Have him contact AMVETS. These are vets helping vets, not just a bunch of county workers with government jobs. Takes FOREVER to file claims through the VA but AMVETS can speed that stuff up.

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
packerbacker,

Pretty sad to think vets got treated that way back in the day....being young and idealistic back in the day I admit I was anti war....but still had the greatest respect for the soldiers it was not a war of their creation....

Didn't see the logic back then and haven't changed my views since then either.....they had my greatest respect back in the day and even more so now.

Regards + HH

Bill

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I think the common citizen has learned from the past. What is the difference between Nam and our present wars? As far as I'm concerned, there isn't any. No wars are being won and the people in those countries are not falling in love with us. When we leave, they will slowly revert to where they were when we arrived and the way they have lived for thousands of years. Only difference between Vietnam and now is now days we realize it's the government and not the military we have to blame for anything. That's why today's vets are welcomed home.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
God Bless you Doc Crispin, my hope and prayer is that your skill will enable you to give your patients the help and peace they deserve. I've been the service officer of our local American Legion Post and have tried to help these guys, especially with the VA. I can tell some horror stories about the local VA hospital, but anyone that's had to deal with the VA anywhere in the country has heard the same crap, different actors. I was in the navy at the tail end of Korea and was never in combat, and was never treated like the Nam vets, so what I want to say to you Viet Nam guys is "Welcome home, there are people in this country that love you and always have."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread