A question about how the mind works

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is serious and I hope we can stay on topic. I was out hiking in Big Bend today with a friend and for no reason on earth that I can imagine, I started singing a commercial tune from the 1950's. I have never smoked, chewed or dipped, but I sang out with "Bull Of The Wood...Chewing Tobacco". If you have never heard the commercial on the radio the words will mean little. The 'Bull of the Woods' is in a deep resonant voice and then the 'Chewing Tobacco' is in a higher, softer voice. Where does such come from? No, I don't really remember what I had for breakfast, but I remember a radio ad from 60 years ago out of the clear blue? How does this amazing thing we call a mind work?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It COULD be a "BRAIN THING"; maybe the "Bull of the Woods" commercial was DEEPLY engrained in YOUR cellular memory, like data stored in a computer, and SOMETHING triggered "access"; resulting in you singing it again. Your hike seems to be a "clue"; you were outdoor, with a friend.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your memory bank is full. Hit control-alt-delete to reboot to 1970:notworthy:

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe an environmental sound or combination of sounds, something spoken, a bird call, branches breaking, the wind, etc, sounded off in a way that subconsciously triggered the memory of that song.

speter42

Jan 22, 2013
St Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Leaning toward A Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe an environmental sound or combination of sounds, something spoken, a bird call, branches breaking, the wind, etc, sounded off in a way that subconsciously triggered the memory of that song.

"breaking the wind"...just struck me funny, ha,ha

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that anyone totally understands how the brain works.

I have noticed with older relatives that they remember things from 60 years ago, better that an hour ago. Of course who would know......so it could be an act...:laughing7:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes I hear a song, or smell a smell, or the wisp of a breeze takes me to another long ago place in my life. I feel ecstatic for a few moments as I'm back in that special time.

If they figure out how to induce that, and make it last... I'd spend a little more time there.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Sometimes I hear a song, or smell a smell, or the wisp of a breeze takes me to another long ago place in my life. I feel ecstatic for a few moments as I'm back in that special time.

If they figure out how to induce that, and make it last... I'd spend a little more time there.

NEVER heard of such being MORE than a "fleeting moment"...

OP
OP
GrizLeeBear

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think that anyone totally understands how the brain works.

I have noticed with older relatives that they remember things from 60 years ago, better that an hour ago. Of course who would know......so it could be an act...:laughing7:

Trust me, it is not an act. I can be in one room and get up to get something and forget what it is before I get there.

OP
OP
GrizLeeBear

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I admit to any such possibility. I have spent a number of years out hiking in National Parks and other such places, yet I never thought of that jingle before. It is hard to describe if you never heard the ad back in the day. I cannot imagine what hit me at that moment, but obviously something did.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrizLeeBear, you definantly got some engrams working in that brain 'o yours. :laughing7:
Is this the commercial yous is reffering to?

OP
OP
GrizLeeBear

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GrizLeeBear, you definantly got some engrams working in that brain 'o yours. :laughing7:
Is this the commercial yous is reffering to?

Good heavens! Where did you find that? I know...The Internet. Ha! Now I'll be singing it for a week.

In truth, I remember it as a radio ad on AM radio. It was just the words, "Bull of the woods" and then "Chewing Tobacco".

Thank you.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Good heavens! Where did you find that? I know...The Internet. Ha! Now I'll be singing it for a week.

In truth, I remember it as a radio ad on AM radio. It was just the words, "Bull of the woods" and then "Chewing Tobacco".

Thank you.

Have NEVER seen it... THANKS!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happens to me a lot, I will hear a song on the radio and I will flash back to a point in my life in my past and be in that moment for minutes or longer at a time.....

Personally I love it, to me memories are like pages in a favorite book that I get to read over and over........Getting older sucks, but man I sure had fun getting here....:hello2: A lot of my memories I can't even speak about here since site is family friendly...:laughing7:

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to spend a lot of time hiking Big Bend in the old days and have done what you did. I was happy, made friends, loved the mule deer(now the mountain lions have eaten them), snuck in the showers at Chisos Basin Lodge and sang there. Love Santa Elena Canyon and even wrote a song there. Big Bend has that effect on people. The Window Trail, Hot Springs, just so many cool places. BUT, not in summer...

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Everything you ever see,touch,taste,smell,hear is registered in the mind,we don't forget,we just don't recall. GodBless Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread