bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WIT,

Yeah....it's kind of funny but I was in my early 40's when I took up T'ai Chi and since I had done kung fu when I was younger....I took it for the exercise and relaxation more than for the martial arts application.

When I asked my master Mr Hum the difference between soft martial arts versus hard martial arts here's his explanation.

"Picture hard martial arts like this....your exterior shell/body is an iron barrier capable of breaking bricks, boards, etc..."

"Soft martial arts....your inner core/body is iron....exterior body is wrapped in cotton"

He said push comes to shove with the same level of training the soft martial artist will win out 9 times out of 10.

It's the whole Asian mindset that takes awhile to get it....versus the western way of thinking....

The soft arts don't fight force with force.....it deflects the force and turns that force/strength against the attacker....food for thought.

Regards + HH

Bill

I'm a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and I've placed in national tournaments in sparring. I wouldn't poke fun at any form of martial art but I will say that Tai Chi is not a very practical way to defend yourself. I grew up fighting and getting into a lot of trouble because of it but I've only been in one fight after starting TKD... It taught me to smile and walk away. I miss it a lot and still think about it often. If I was still in better shape I would definitely start taking Jiu Jitsu. I wish I would have known what it was back in 1989.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
WIT,

Yeah....it's kind of funny but I was in my early 40's when I took up T'ai Chi and since I had done kung fu when I was younger....I took it for the exercise and relaxation more than for the martial arts application.

When I asked my master Mr Hum the difference between soft martial arts versus hard martial arts here's his explanation.

"Picture hard martial arts like this....your exterior shell/body is an iron barrier capable of breaking bricks, boards, etc..."

"Soft martial arts....your inner core/body is iron....exterior body is wrapped in cotton"

He said push comes to shove with the same level of training the soft martial artist will win out 9 times out of 10.

It's the whole Asian mindset that takes awhile to get it....versus the western way of thinking....

The soft arts don't fight force with force.....it deflects the force and turns that force/strength against the attacker....food for thought.

Regards + HH

Bill

Yeah, what I learned as Admin. at Max. Security Prison, at the Academy; the trainer (Captain) had a room there at the Academy, with Chinese swords on his walls, a Shrine, with "pics" of Chinese Masters, incense... the "WHOLE NINE YARDS". I worked with the energies (Qi/Chi), and learned confidence, having "FIRM" MINDFULNESS, having NO FEAR; be ready to die... BUT! There is NO death; your Transformed body can be MORE destructive (after death, if you are MINDFUL of your POWERS... there are NO limits). WOE to him/her who "kills" a "MINDFUL ONE".

Last edited:
OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

For those who are interested his a video of the Shoalin kung fu...pretty impressive.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wondering if amoeba woman is a superhero?
Well, I don't know about THAT, but,
she is a legend in her own mind! :laughing7:
Which I guess is better than the Zane Brothers slogan.
Hong Kong Phooey to all! :laughing7:

eta: ok I really can't help myself now....... :laughing7:

Last edited:

acilis1

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2013
As a high school kid I studied Chinese Kung Fu Kenpo. Very disciplined open handed style.

Now my son is in 8th grade and just achieved his purple belt....and is studying under my old Sifu. How time flies! Pretty sure he could take me lol

Nice thread.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worldwide there are over 200 forms of martial arts

My question

Can any of them stop a bullet from a semi automatic weapon at 5-10 yards :dontknow:

If so, this is the style for me :headbang:

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spart,

Some of the grand masters have reflexes so fast they've been known to deflect bullets using their bare hands...mind you
this is someone who's been doing it for 50 years or so....not many ever get to that level.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spart,

Good choice of music.....I always preferred their older grittier R+B songs.

Regards + HH

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions