bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

I've done a fair amount of martial arts training on and off over the years....late 70's I took courses in Shoalin Wu Shu.....or as it's called in the west Kung Fu.

We're talking about 1978 or so.....the Sifu/master was a Mr Lee....you couldn't walk in off the street and be a student....you had to be introduced by a current student to get accepted.

A gal I had met did the intros and I was accepted as a student....lots of protocol to follow...there was an alter with candles continuously burning and a picture of his master....off with the shoes when you entered the dojo and you bowed when passing the alter as a sign of respect.

You accepted the master's instructions/rules without question....but in return you were effectively adopted as a blood relative without question by the master....regardless of your ethnic background....

Any master worth his salt teaches you that the martial arts are to be treated with the utmost respect and are not to be used unless your back is against the wall and you have no other recourse....and even then.....use the minimum force required to neutralize your assailant.

Given that back in the day I was pretty wild and crazy, however, the discipline I learned from this training I'll probably carry to my grave.

1:-Walk away from confrontation unless you're in mortal danger and even then use the minimum required under the circumstances.

2:-If you befriend someone who you feel is worth of you friendship....you stick by them regardless.

I'm sure others including TH can give their views.....most of the martial arts, be they Chinese, Japanese or Korean probably have similar codes built in to their teachings.

Feel free to add your views on the topic.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rebel,

Did T'ai Chi for about 2 years about 20 years ago......it's what the Chinese would call a soft form of self defense....it's all done in slow motion.....however, if you learn it properly and use it at full speed it can be as lethal or more so than the hard forms of martial arts.

On a positive/non defensive basis....it's probably one of the better forms of exercise to keep the body and joints limber as we get older.....it balances the bodies ying/yang and helps unblock the energy flow due to stress, etc....

It helps you to keep grounded and tune out every day stresses, etc....if you have a Chinese community in your area it's well worth seeing if they offer courses....given your line of work it would probably be right up your alley.

Regards + HH

Bill

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
I totally disagree with you...........just kidding, I think you covered all the bases, I just wanted to be funny ha...ha.

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rebel,

Probably youtube has some videos or you can order books online....the thing with T'ai Chi it's better to have a teacher face to face.....hard to explain....but I had 2 left feet for about 3 months when I started....it looks as simple as h*ll but you have to completely retrain your body.....to get the hang of it....it's a zen thing....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

THANKS, NO Chinese community in area; SMALL town.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rebel's line of work? thought he was a moonshiner

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bevo,

No problem....if you've seen some of my other posts.....I tend to be pretty zany most of the time....and once in awhile I actually get rational....probably Crispin's bad influence that's caused that.

Actually the whole Asian mindset is pretty much opposite to what westerners think or how they come at things.....like why would someone devote all their free time to training in self defense and refuse to use it.....it took me awhile to get it....but it teaches you discipline and self control.....the self defense part is just a by product of the training....hope this makes some sense.

Regards + HH

Bill

I totally disagree with you...........just kidding, I think you covered all the bases, I just wanted to be funny ha...ha.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my good buddies in med school was a martial arts instructor for Goju. He learned from a dojo in NYC and had been doing it for about 11 years. I learned a lot from him about when to use martial arts and the spirituality behind it. He would teach me things as study breaks. Over four years...you pick up a lot.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Studied Tae-Kwan-Do for 8 years, earned my 2nd Degree Black belt before issues with ex caused me to stop.......I did fight full contact on Friday nights and twice on Saturdays, Sat mornings and then evenings at the dojo, I enjoyed the full contact....

We would do 3 mins on the body bag, 3 mins jumping rope, then 3 2 minute rounds in ring with pads, but full contact including to head and face....cracked 3 ribs one night when I stepped in to jam a kick and hit with a back fist when he happen to pick that exact same moment to do a spinning back kick and I got caught in full extension of the kick.... My favorite move was the spinning back fist, I would attack with lefts and rights then retreat bakc trying to pull him in so I could use the spinning back fist... ....

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin,

Yep.....it's time well spent....for the discipline if nothing else....when I was taking T'ai Chi about 20 years ago my sifu/master at the time Mr Hum who had spent 10 years in mainland China learning Kung Fu, Tai Chi and Bagua/Baqua offer to teach me Baqua.....it's also a soft form of martial arts.....but very deadly.....similar to what TH learned.

He was very selective as to which students he was prepared to share these secrets with.....I told him I was honored to be offered the instructions....however, I didn't have the time required to devote to it to do it justice....nor did I want the responsibility to learn to kill with my bare hands.....

Regards + HH

Bill

One of my good buddies in med school was a martial arts instructor for Goju. He learned from a dojo in NYC and had been doing it for about 11 years. I learned a lot from him about when to use martial arts and the spirituality behind it. He would teach me things as study breaks. Over four years...you pick up a lot.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Cat stance...that is the best defensive position (I was taught.) Core of body in line, root strong. Deflect or counter any attack. We would spar, but I was a play thing to him, just for stress relief. He never hit me hard enough to break bones. I never hit him, lol. I would practice with some of his students at times, no face contact. They would get upset at my cat stance...lol, patience, I waited for them.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
never had any martial arts training, but I am fully potty trained. If attacked my favorite position is fetal

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cat stance...that is the best defensive position (I was taught.) Core of body in line, root strong. Deflect or counter any attack......... They would get upset at my cat stance...lol, patience, I waited for them.
Sounds like something I know. :laughing7:
No martial arts training though, most lessons came from an old Marine, a young Rabbi, and a very intelligent attorney. :notworthy:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they are the only parts I care about

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sorry, I know this is in bad taste.....but it should give you all some laughs!

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and I've placed in national tournaments in sparring. I wouldn't poke fun at any form of martial art but I will say that Tai Chi is not a very practical way to defend yourself. I grew up fighting and getting into a lot of trouble because of it but I've only been in one fight after starting TKD... It taught me to smile and walk away. I miss it a lot and still think about it often. If I was still in better shape I would definitely start taking Jiu Jitsu. I wish I would have known what it was back in 1989.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread