Old air rifle

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
This video shows an air rifle that may have been instrumental in the success of the Lewis & Clark expedition.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/thread/1296928404/This+is+just+to+cool+not+to+spread+around

I'm starting to gain some interest in air rifles as an alternative to powder ammo rifles for target practice. Sure does help with my small ammo supply which is difficult to replenish lately.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have two of these . . . one is a very old version and needs work . . . but I have shot a bb through a zinc penny with it before it was broken.

Crosman | Airguns | Pistols | American Classic Pump Pistol (.177)

At $400 less, and the same 600 fps velocity, a pretty good deal.

BTW, pretty darn accurate. Can put three rounds in a quarter at 20 yards.

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
That is a nice shooter for the money, and you are doing fine with that proficiency at 20 yards with a pistol. A buddy of mine had one and I was startled at how it hit at 30 yards with no scope. I have many adult air guns, pistol and an assortment of extremely fine rifles and scopes. On a good day, off a bench rest from my patio in calm winds,,,I can widen a single hole in pop cans at 50 yards. My air pistol can hit cans out there yet I don't profess to counting on that since my abilities are more focused with the rifles. Air guns are fun!

I've seen that info on the air guns from Lewis and Clark long ago since I used to be an avid AG guy and on those forums. Detecting gets all of my "nice weather" efforts now though, so the AGs and my motorcycle doesn't get too much attention. martin

I have two of these . . . one is a very old version and needs work . . . but I have shot a bb through a zinc penny with it before it was broken.

Crosman | Airguns | Pistols | American Classic Pump Pistol (.177)

At $400 less, and the same 600 fps velocity, a pretty good deal.

BTW, pretty darn accurate. Can put three rounds in a quarter at 20 yards.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yes, they are fun. I used to go out to the shed and pick off single wasps. Shoot once into the nest and wait for them to come back, then pick 'em off one at a time.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try out the Benjamin Rogue .357 Shoots a 145 grain Will take a deer OUT. Could be the next assault gun on the list??? and it works on air.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
MoonRover: when I see you post it reminds me of the time my puppy had surgery. You know, those white cones that prevent licking...lol. ;)

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, they are fun. I used to go out to the shed and pick off single wasps. Shoot once into the nest and wait for them to come back, then pick 'em off one at a time.

I cheated,i use to use bottle rockets:laughing9:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Lewis and Clark Rifle was something else. They are very expensive though. I feel every man deserves a good pellet rifle at some point in his life. I have the german made RWS Diana. Faster that a 22. One pump. I am unsure what the twist is but it must be pretty tight.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
my beeman shoots 1000 ft per second.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Spring gun or pneumatic? If it's spring, then my Air Arms at 860fps I bet that will be more accurate. Power isn't what it'a all about in spring guns. Balance and smooth piston action, plus a good trigger pull is it. About anybody can shoot a pre charged airgun. There's a huge, battling camp between springers and pre charged.

my beeman shoots 1000 ft per second.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
pneumatic, decent trigger, sighted in at 35 45 yrds. pattern 5'' not so great.

OP
OP
Moonrover

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Crispin said:
MoonRover: when I see you post it reminds me of the time my puppy had surgery. You know, those white cones that prevent licking...lol. ;)

One of my worst fears is to wake up after surgery and find a white cone around my neck.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
pneumatic, decent trigger, sighted in at 35 45 yrds. pattern 5'' not so great.

I am all over the chart in accuracy shooting off hand, not on a bench rest on something. My pneumatic pumper rifle gets nowhere near the accuracy of the fancy pre charged AGs out today. I didn't intend on saying all pneumatics were the same. Those guys charging up off of a scuba tank are holding super tight groups. I kinda cheat by touting tight groups from benchrest shooting. These precision AGs many times outshoot powder burners at the range. Lots cheaper to shoot too. martin

OP
OP
Moonrover

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
McKinney_5900 said:
I am all over the chart in accuracy shooting off hand, not on a bench rest on something. My pneumatic pumper rifle gets nowhere near the accuracy of the fancy pre charged AGs out today. I didn't intend on saying all pneumatics were the same. Those guys charging up off of a scuba tank are holding super tight groups. I kinda cheat by touting tight groups from benchrest shooting. These precision AGs many times outshoot powder burners at the range. Lots cheaper to shoot too. martin

What are the various methods of "pre-charging"? This leads me to wonder how the Louis & Clark air rifle was pre-charged. Did they have bike tire pumps back then? Another newbe question ... do small game hunters take a scuba tank out in the field, or are the pre-charged air rifles mostly used for range shooting?

I watched three videos of night hunting for rats. Impressive! The nearly silent air rifle didn't spook rats in the pack as the shooter plinked away. Back in my youthful days my pals would join me at the town dump to shoot rats. We used 22LR, and even cheated with bird shot once in a while. The loud crack sound would spook rats, so we had to sit and wait for more to show up to get another shot. We could have had far more success with air rifles. However back then the only air rifles we knew of were just good old Daisy "BB" guns.

Somewhere in my attic there is a Red Ryder "BB" gun. As I recall it has a capacity of 50 or more shots. Might soon be deemed illegal unless it can be modified to hold seven or less shots !! Otherwise it is an assault Red Ryder.

M

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple old air rifles that I ended up with some years ago; can't even remember how I came to have them. I know they weren't working and I was going to send them in for repair if possible. This thread has me thinking again about doing it. I had a Crossman CO2 one time that I used to pick oranges out of the trees with and just hit the little stems, not the orange itself.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
What are the various methods of "pre-charging"? This leads me to wonder how the Louis & Clark air rifle was pre-charged. Did they have bike tire pumps back then? Another newbe question ... do small game hunters take a scuba tank out in the field, or are the pre-charged air rifles mostly used for range shooting?

I watched three videos of night hunting for rats. Impressive! The nearly silent air rifle didn't spook rats in the pack as the shooter plinked away. Back in my youthful days my pals would join me at the town dump to shoot rats. We used 22LR, and even cheated with bird shot once in a while. The loud crack sound would spook rats, so we had to sit and wait for more to show up to get another shot. We could have had far more success with air rifles. However back then the only air rifles we knew of were just good old Daisy "BB" guns.

Somewhere in my attic there is a Red Ryder "BB" gun. As I recall it has a capacity of 50 or more shots. Might soon be deemed illegal unless it can be modified to hold seven or less shots !! Otherwise it is an assault Red Ryder.

M

Pre charged AGs have a numerous, usable number of shots per charge, so a hunter would more than likely never need air-in-the field. The scuba tank is commonly known as a bulk fill tank and does fit at the range. There are smaller containers they can pack out in the field. There is also a foot pump for charging but they are laborous. I suspect L&C lilely had a hand pump and some grunt had to do that job. But you have a good point about hunters, because there are some big bore AG hunters who take wild hogs, deer and exotic animals with these things, and they are usually always a single shot, gun. I'm not sure how they prepare for a refill. The big bores I've seen and shot were refilled off a costly compressor. You can't just use common air due to the moisture. martin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions