spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here, I heard about it through one of the the threads here. Then again, you do know that I have a different take on this, right :dontknow: :laughing7:

Now as I see it, this is all the more reason for some sort of gun control. WHY?? I'm glad you asked. I just tend to look at things a bit differently, and hopefully with a little added humor (Some hate my humor, but they'll get over it :laughing7:) After reading the account below, you will notice that no matter what the actual number of participants were, or even how long the gun battle lasted, makes no difference at all.

Apparently there was a pretty fair amount of lead heating up the air and yet, no one was even wounded. Good grief, they had rifles and could barely hit the side of a barn. Yup, we need a ton more guns in those able hands, and I'm talking about both sides :laughing7:

Note below:
[h=2]Battle[/h] Polls for the county election opened August 1, 1946. About 200 armed deputies turned out to patrol the precincts—the normal complement of 15 deputies significantly augmented by reinforcements from other counties. A number of conflicts arose before the polls closed, the most serious of which was when deputy CM Wise shot and wounded a black man who was trying to vote.[SUP][7][/SUP]
As the polls closed, deputies seized ballot boxes and took them to the jail. Opposition veterans responded by arming themselves and marching there. Some of them had raided the National Guard Armory, obtaining arms and ammunition.[SUP][9][/SUP] Estimates of the number of veterans besieging the jail vary from several hundred[SUP][9][/SUP] to as high as 2,000.[SUP][7][/SUP]
When the men reached the jail, it was barricaded and manned by 55 deputies. The veterans demanded the ballot boxes but were refused. They then opened fire on the jail, initiating a battle that lasted several hours by some accounts,[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP] considerably less by others.[SUP][10][/SUP] In the end, the door of the jail was dynamited and breached. The barricaded deputies—some with injuries—surrendered, and the ballot boxes were recovered.
During the fight at the jail, rioting had broken out in Athens, mainly targeting police cars.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP] This continued even after the ballot boxes were recovered, but subsided by morning.[SUP][10][/SUP]

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. All that the battle proved was one tyrant can be replaced by force with another.

"""The new government encountered challenges including at least eleven resignations of county administrators. On January 4, 1947, four of the five leaders of the GI Non-Partisan League declared in an open letter: "We abolished one machine only to replace it with another and more powerful one in the making."The League failed to establish itself permanently and traditional political parties soon returned to power.""""

I also find it a great triumph of our government that this had happened so infrequently throughout our history that this somewhat minor local incident is such a huge deal.

Best.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. All that the battle proved was one tyrant can be replaced by force with another.

"""The new government encountered challenges including at least eleven resignations of county administrators. On January 4, 1947, four of the five leaders of the GI Non-Partisan League declared in an open letter: "We abolished one machine only to replace it with another and more powerful one in the making."The League failed to establish itself permanently and traditional political parties soon returned to power.""""

I also find it a great triumph of our government that this had happened so infrequently throughout our history that this somewhat minor local incident is such a huge deal.

Best.

ALSO... you have to look at the POLITICAL "nature" of "the BEAST"...

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's even look at something on a much larger scale, with more powerful weapons than rifles.

The battle of Fort Sumter. Battle actually lasted nearly 1 1/2 days, total shells fired were well over 5,000. By the grace of god, no man was killed on either side. Hate to say, but that was the last time the Civil War saw that stat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread