Retail Apocalypse: Why Are Major Retail Chains All Over America Collapsing?

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Had a Fisher as a kid but can't recall which one. Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Melbourne glider recliner with ottoman Retail 3750.00. top grain leather. nice chair.

I pay less for my cars..lol Id be afraid to sit in it...

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Why would I go out of my way and travel to a best buy, Barnes and noble, Office Depot or any of the other businesses you mentioned and pay 25% more for a product, when I can sit at home, buy it for much cheaper and have it delivered to my front door?

I buy very very few things through mail order,internet order.One reason,I like handling what I intend to buy.I make sure everything is as it should be,no damage etc.You cant do that through mail order or internet order.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow... This is just absurd... First of all, I am a libertarian and against large government just as much as the next guy, but you guys seriously need to chill out and realize that this is happening everywhere in the world and has absolutely nothing to do with the government.. This is a result of technological growth.. plain and simple.... If these businesses cannot develop a way to adapt with the changes in technology, then they are putting the nails in their own coffin.. Why would I go out of my way and travel to a best buy, Barnes and noble, Office Depot or any of the other businesses you mentioned and pay 25% more for a product, when I can sit at home, buy it for much cheaper and have it delivered to my front door? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.. You can argue that one should oppose this in order to provide jobs for people in this country, but I promise you, the world is heading in this direction whether you like it or not.. This is a technological era we are living in and you are simply dragging your feet.. The days of Storefront shopping are dwindling fast.. You absolutely cannot stop evolution.. Whether it is the evolution of ideas, civil liberties or technological growth, the world is heading in this direction and at some point in your life you are going to have to come to grips with reality..

And Amazon offers free shipping.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I buy very very few things through mail order,internet order.One reason,I like handling what I intend to buy.I make sure everything is as it should be,no damage etc.You cant do that through mail order or internet order.

I know what your saying. I do too but I also know that retail is changing. Corporates like Walmart knew shoppers wanted everything cheaper. So that began their mantra. Today TV insurance adds ask "Are you going to buy online" They don't have to pay an agent on line. Companies like Amazon have a free return policy and qualified free shipping. Some day all States will fix the sales tax problem unless you live in New Hampshire. The day is almost here where you won't have to leave the house. Years ago stores would deliver groceries. I can see that coming again.
There are also stuff on line you won't find in most towns. I do a lot of photo printing and in town I'm stuck with two paper brands. Online there are bunches.
I like going to a local store, having the owner recognize me, give a howdy but I know it's probably something many will tell their grand kids to their disbelief.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy about 50% of my collectibles online. Nothing else except an occasional book most bookstores don't have. I also do not particularly like malls and will probably not buy much in the line of new furniture as I like what I have.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one problem I have with your new age thinking I bought myself a new chair over 3k Now your right it cost 22 hundred on the net. I took a net price back to the store and showed the owner that price. He knocked off 5 hundred but brought up the point if for ever reason something went wrong with it who's going to fix it? He was right 2 years later a malfunction in the operating system failed they were their the next day (No charge) In my case I enjoy talking to people from the U.S. Even if it cost's me a few bucks. Shop local and save the country. (Even if it;s made in Bumb f Egypt.) Won't it be fun when every one is sitting in their home and nobody's working and then figure out how they are going to pay for it. (Opps there's always the king's stash)

This conversation isn't specifically about my views on shopping and purchasing local, it is about the general population of America and I assure you, people would rather have it delivered to their door.. Why do you think fast food chains are so profitable? Convenience.. Convenience.. Convenience.. People don't always think far ahead enough to worry about problems in the future and they are becoming lazier by the day... We also aren't solely talking about 3750 dollar recliners here.. I am talking about office supplies, stereo speakers, books, videos, etc.. I am hoping there will always be some sort of storefront service, but in 20-50 years, I would bet they are nearly non existent.. Heck.. you can even have your groceries delivered to your door today..

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I see a lot of (Chubby) some are really bigger then that shopping. Can't wait to see the population when every one shop's on line. Michelle will be working overtime:laughing7: Skip that word (Working)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash, is your car bigger or smaller than a breadbox? :laughing7: And for you youngn's out there, a "breadbox" was a small mostly metal storage contained used once upon a time ago to store your BREAD in, 'cause back in those days most of it was not plastic wrapped.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup,its a 1996 ford taurus station wagon.damn good shape too.No rust no rot 115,000 miles on it.though I did put around 1200 into it.New gas tank,struts,tierod,balljoint,tune up, mass airflow sensor.Most of my cost was in labor,i dont have a garage and im not working on a car when i'm freezing lol.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to do my own repairs, but I'm creakier than my car. The most expensive car I have purchased since 1993 cost $3000. I drive them till the wheels fall off. My favorite saying is "why should I buy a whole car when all I need is a transmission?

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after all that, how do you guys feel about corporations having the same rights as human citizens ala Citizens United? Is money speech and if it is, how cheaply was your representative bought?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked at sears years ago and they didn't run a lean or smart operation. Times change and businesses that don't fail. Instead of looking at stores look at total retail sales. Bet they are not bottoming

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it became easier to veg, at you puter or TV....they had their foot in the door...who truly wants to work hard, or in that case do anything...people did it back in the day cause they had to but now that isnt even the way...a human will pick a path of least resistance......so sitting on a couch feeding your face and staring at a TV or puter is the way of the land now...

I have wished for a while now that the grid would go down, just to thin out the sheep...just so it is clear what side we all stand on..

The people aginst guns I bet would be the first to fall, cause if you wont stand for the 2nd, nothing else will have your back...lol...:headbang:

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Buying on line isn't always painless. I was doing a remodel in my bathroom and wanted a Mexican sink. If you've never seen one they are very colorful with designs that can look like a kaleidoscope. They are china and fragile. So instead of buying online I downloaded the image of what I wanted, went to a store here that sells such stuff. I cold tell the owner was surprised to see me matching the design with what he had. The price was twice but it wasn't broken and the bucks stayed local.
The other item, a Mexican mirror I couldn't find so I ordered it on line. Two months later, I'm still waiting. Nothing perfect here.
There is often a difference, especially with face to face service and keeping the money local. Growing up about all that was bought mail order was from Sears.
The internet is an American invention. It might have been made for the military but like the GPS and other things they found a way to the world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread