Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
check your state laws Jeff

Posted by Sebastian in Guns, Law | 8 comments
Armor Piercing Ammo

The regulations on armor piercing ammo are among the strangest of the federal firearms regulations. The first is that AP ammo is rather odd in its definition. The ATF defines it as handgun ammunition, but there’s a catch. If any handgun has ever been made in a specific caliber, then ATF considers that the AP ammo regulations then apply to that caliber. That’s why you can’t buy AP ammo for cartridges like 7.62×39 and several others. The 5.56x45NATO is specifically exempted from this, even though there are pistols made for it.

It’s perfectly legal to possess, purchase, sell or shoot armor piercing ammunition. It’s not legal to manufacture or import armor piercing ammunition.

In order to manufacture AP rounds, you have to hold a type 10 FFL (18 USC sec. 922(a)(7)). In order to import AP rounds, you have to hold a type 11 FFL (18 USC sec. 922(a)(7)). If you hold either one of these FFLs, it’s not legal to sell or export AP rounds, except to military, law enforcement (18 USC sec. 922(a)(8)). In addition, if you hold a type 06-08 FFL (manufactures of firearms, importers of firearms, manufactures of ammunition), then you also my not sell AP rounds to the general public.

For regular type 01-03 FFL holders, you may sell or deliver AP ammunition, but it must be entered into the Acquisition and Disposition Record (bound book). So if you have any AP rounds in your possession, that’s ok. But it’s been illegal to manufacture or import new ammunition that’s transferable to ordinary citizens for quite some time, and for the most part, it’s generally unavailable, and certainly not in any significant quantity for most calibers.

Of course, there are also various state restrictions. Pennsylvania prohibits KTW ammunition. NJ and NY have additional restrictions on AP ammo.

well it seems I am set for AP ammo, now all I need is a 30-06 rifle

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
guess they won't work in my siamese mauser

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get yourself an M1 Garand.You could probably pick up a match grade one for under 1500.

Red, I know I don't agree with you on all areas, but I appreciate your help with my questions. Thanks

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of course, being old school, what I really want is a nice used 30-30 with a shoulder ammo belt. ( I could pretend I was 19th century cavalry)

too many John Wayne movies I guess

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Red, I know I don't agree with you on all areas, but I appreciate your help with my questions. Thanks

No problem Jeff,I dont mind helping anybody out.

Of course, being old school, what I really want is a nice used 30-30 with a shoulder ammo belt. ( I could pretend I was 19th century cavalry)

too many John Wayne movies I guess

The .30-30 came out in 1895,it wasnt a military cartridge.If youre talking John Wayne its the .44-40.The .30-06 is a much better cartridge than the .30-30.With a .30-06 you can reach out beyond 1000 yards to a target,never do it with a .30-30.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screws are very small maybe a number eight fine thread? I just pulled it apart and all threads look good. Scott, did I have you undet the impression threads were striped or pulled?

No, Sir...
Just an idea without having seen the actual situation.

Best Wishes,

Scott

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No, Sir...
Just an idea without having seen the actual situation.

Best Wishes,

Scott
Scott, thanks for the replies and the ideas. I always appreciate anyone wanting to help. I have just put everything back together and will see what happens.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scott, thanks for the replies and the ideas. I always appreciate anyone wanting to help. I have just put everything back together and will see what happens.

that's the same thing that the engineer of the Hindenburg said.....

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finished my taxes yesterday.... I will be receiving some $$$ back from .... (Big Brother) .... The Government, this fiscal year. I am pleased to negate a fear of a government takeover at this time.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in my office today. Plane got delayed three hours then there was a medical emergency in flight. When they called for doctors...duty beckoned. Poor little Eva, got left alone while I tromped off to the front of the plane. We hit a lot of turbulence so a nice lady moved over to sit with her while I handled the heavy stuff. Turned out to be a panic attack, lol, guess I was the exact right doctor for the job. Once I comforted the pilot that she was not having a stroke or a heart attack they agreed not to have an emergency landing. They thought I was too young to be a doctor so I had to pull my medical license out of my wallet...lol.

Happy to report no signs of a government takeover in the airport or while on the plane. Nobody should be worried.

Currently exhausted, but will post pictures of Eva on the airplane later tonight.

Crispin

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are the pics. 1. Eva in her bag with preflight beer (not Guinness). 2. Eva entertaining the passengers. 3. Eva posing on the seat table.

IMG_0140.JPG IMG_0143.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in my office today. Plane got delayed three hours then there was a medical emergency in flight. When they called for doctors...duty beckoned. Poor little Eva, got left alone while I tromped off to the front of the plane. We hit a lot of turbulence so a nice lady moved over to sit with her while I handled the heavy stuff. Turned out to be a panic attack, lol, guess I was the exact right doctor for the job. Once I comforted the pilot that she was not having a stroke or a heart attack they agreed not to have an emergency landing. They thought I was too young to be a doctor so I had to pull my medical license out of my wallet...lol.

Happy to report no signs of a government takeover in the airport or while on the plane. Nobody should be worried.

Currently exhausted, but will post pictures of Eva on the airplane later tonight.

Crispin

ok 'tooter of own horn'
next time I imagine an engine flames out.... you exit the plane.... crawl along the wing to the dead engine.... and power yourself to replace the lost thrust.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and if I was there and no Doc spoke up I could have given her some lorazepam i carry for emergencies too.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin,

Glad you got the situation under control....I had a panic attach back when I was still working 3 US cities on different days....woke up about 3 am.....overtired and stressed out and forgot what city I was in.....Philly I believe....took me about 30 minutes to calm down not knowing where I was.....lol....

I didn't require medical attention....but it scares the sh*t out of you when it happens.....and no I wasn't afraid of a government takeover then or now...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Crispin

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
< has experience with panic attacks. I wondered about medical emergencies, how do you bill patient? Or do you charge the airline? lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread