dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why did the Private wear a tuxedo to get his vasectomy????

If he was going to be impOtent....... he was going to look impOtent!!!!!!!

Lol! Haha!

I wonder if those chocolates made from the “special molds” from the other day would help that situation? Lol

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Some have expressed ideas of placing mobile homes on the remaining acres to attract rental payments.

Surely I'll look into that option...
However, do I need that kind of crap in my life?
C'mon Friends, you know me.
What is my best option?

Scott

Now that’s just crazy talk. By the time you deal with zoning, purchasing the mobile homes, prepping the land, septic installs, power installs, well installs, road building, etc and all this hassle and expense to build a depreciating group of assets???? For a lower quality rental, usually attracting a lower quality tenant...I’ve been a landlord and can tell you it’s a bad idea.

Heck, I sold my extra house in Florida instead of renting it out. The years I had it we went and stayed two weeks a year in it and the rest of the year it sat vacant. It was the best choice.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that’s just crazy talk. By the time you deal with zoning, purchasing the mobile homes, prepping the land, septic installs, power installs, well installs, road building, etc and all this hassle and expense to build a depreciating group of assets???? For a lower quality rental, usually attracting a lower quality tenant...I’ve been a landlord and can tell you it’s a bad idea.

Heck, I sold my extra house in Florida instead of renting it out. The years I had it we went and stayed two weeks a year in it and the rest of the year it sat vacant. It was the best choice.

We did it here, in Brookings Oregon. But... we replaced old metal sided trailers with new "manufactured" homes. 2 x 6 walls great insulation, hardie plank siding and very modern efficient heating and cooling. By replacing existing home we had the septic system already in place. Slabs were poured and they had to have block foundations...building code. Rent is 1500 a month for the 3 bedroom 2 bath, and 1200 for the 2 bedroom 2 bath. Property management handles the rent. I have sub-contracted installing them on a new chunk of land.... never again! Codes, zones, geological surveys. Rentals around here have waiting lists and the property is insanely priced.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
We did it here, in Brookings Oregon. But... we replaced old metal sided trailers with new "manufactured" homes. 2 x 6 walls great insulation, hardie plank siding and very modern efficient heating and cooling. By replacing existing home we had the septic system already in place. Slabs were poured and they had to have block foundations...building code. Rent is 1500 a month for the 3 bedroom 2 bath, and 1200 for the 2 bedroom 2 bath. Property management handles the rent. I have sub-contracted installing them on a new chunk of land.... never again! Codes, zones, geological surveys. Rentals around here have waiting lists and the property is insanely priced.

Exactly my point, it takes lots of money to do this. Then once up and running if you do use a management company, they take a fair chunk of the rent. Again, it’s still a depreciating asset. Anything other than a stick built home is generally going down in value, especially when used as a rental as the vast majority of tenants will not take care of the home. Some even purposely trashing a home.
However, when you do have a good tenant and no repairs the cash flow is strong. If I was going to get back into the rental business I would pick up several three bedroom ranch stick built homes in good neighborhoods and be very picky taking my time who I place in the homes. One bad tenant and repair costs, legal fees for eviction, lost rent, etc...can eat up lots of rent “profits”
How difficult is it in Oregon to evict someone? Here in liberal maine it’s time consuming and expensive. I even had one lady tell the judge I couldn’t evict her family because she had kids and it was winter time! Lol, she moved three days later...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly my point, it takes lots of money to do this. Then once up and running if you do use a management company, they take a fair chunk of the rent. Again, it’s still a depreciating asset. Anything other than a stick built home is generally going down in value, especially when used as a rental as the vast majority of tenants will not take care of the home. Some even purposely trashing a home.
However, when you do have a good tenant and no repairs the cash flow is strong. If I was going to get back into the rental business I would pick up several three bedroom ranch stick built homes in good neighborhoods and be very picky taking my time who I place in the homes. One bad tenant and repair costs, legal fees for eviction, lost rent, etc...can eat up lots of rent “profits”
How difficult is it in Oregon to evict someone? Here in liberal maine it’s time consuming and expensive. I even had one lady tell the judge I couldn’t evict her family because she had kids and it was winter time! Lol, she moved three days later...

Eviction is a civil matter, my brother in law couldn't evict his girlfriend because she got mail there. WTF? Yes it takes a few months.Our property management charges 10%. We had 10-15 people wanting to rent so they were screened. There are very few affordable rentals around here.... none affordable unless you make damn good money. Property and housing is insane around here, $250,000 will get you a plain small place on 1/2 an acre.
River front? or oceanfront? crazy..

I'm thinking about selling everything and heading towards Roseburg. Great prices, older homes though, and an old logging town. The local pizza parlor has "spotted owl pizza"!! We can always go to Eugene if we want the liberal experience.:icon_scratch:???:laughing7: Keep the cabin in Galice, as it is cheap, solar panels water rights (creek and a well) and gold everywhere. Roseburg area has great gold too. Plus my wife is a pharmacy tech, anywhere outside of Brookings her wages double! Roseburg, Grants Pass...

It sounds like where Scotty wants to live the prices are great.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A WW2 veteran Uncle bought the land across from his house.
Put in a trailer and sold his house. Community storm shelter was his basement.
Laundry room was separate from any other structures and kept mint too.

Built roads and put in a slab at a time ,provided utilities and service,(I'm guessing a sewer vs individual septic tanks though it was a ways out of the village) and sold lots one at a time to seniors to put a trailer home on.
Strict rules ,speed bumps ,low speed , no motorcycles (!)quiet times , ect.
Kept the place immaculate. Great landscaping.
That's where I was put on a tractor with a front loader at a young age to move snow banks.

The park expanded quickly , but as planned.
I have not been in it for many decades but it still exists and I'm tempted to check it out sometimes when in the area....

Uncle was hands on , ambitious , and while not a nail-biting perfectionist , keeping things at their best was a normal.
And ....Still found time to enjoy his woodshop and wrench on projects from a bicycle to a car, truck or tractor.

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well wife is gone to Myrtle Beach SC to visit her ailing sister soooooooo I went Kayaking today with my son, his wife and his 3 boys. We paddled 18 miles today. Of course my Dachshund was point. We saw 3 gators to which she didn’t even bat an eye. So there was a rather cute young lady standing on her paddle board. At that time we had seen 2 gators. I said “ ma’am we saw a couple gators already so you be careful out there!” To which she replied “ I’m taking photos I’m not worried about the gators” I replied “ well if we both topple over in the water, I don’t have to out swim the gator. I just need to out swim you....... and I’ve been called The Sharkman of the delta.” She says “ that’s funny but what if a gator chases your dog?” I said “ that’s where the boys come in.” Oh? I’ll sacrifice one of them for my dog!!!!””””” She busted out laughing! I didn’t take pics my hands were kind of full but if my son did I’ll try to post. Oh in 2 days my shoulders are going to burn and remind me what paddling 18 miles feels like. My dog is awesome. She just rides up front and watches, taking in everything.

Last edited:

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS I’m in need of a third operation on my right shoulder. I have another torn rotator cuff with shoulder impingement too.......ARRRGGGHHHH!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
upperpriest_t1200.jpg

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is where we started today. Although headed to Rock Springs, we called and they were at capacity........ so we diverted

Last edited:

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the man came home, his wife was crying. "Your mother insulted me," she sobbed.

"My mother? How could she do that when she is on vacation on the other side of the world?" the man asked.

"I know. But this morning a letter addressed to you arrived. I opened it because I was curious."
"And?"
"At the end of the letter she had written:
P.S. Dear Diane, when you have finished reading this letter, don't forget to give it to my son."

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's 2012 and it's the Olympics in London .

A Scotsman, an Englishman and an Irishman want to get in, but they haven't got tickets.

The Scotsman picks up a manhole-cover, tucks it under his arm and walks to the gate. "McTavish, Scotland," he says, "Discus," and in he walks.

The Englishman picks up a length of scaffolding and slings it over his shoulder. "Waddington-Smythe, England," he says, "Pole vault," and in he walks.

The Irishman looks around, picks up a roll of barbed wire and tucks it under his arm. "O'Malley, Ireland," he says: "Fencing."

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Eviction is a civil matter, my brother in law couldn't evict his girlfriend because she got mail there. WTF? Yes it takes a few months.Our property management charges 10%. We had 10-15 people wanting to rent so they were screened. There are very few affordable rentals around here.... none affordable unless you make damn good money. Property and housing is insane around here, $250,000 will get you a plain small place on 1/2 an acre.
River front? or oceanfront? crazy..

I'm thinking about selling everything and heading towards Roseburg. Great prices, older homes though, and an old logging town. The local pizza parlor has "spotted owl pizza"!! We can always go to Eugene if we want the liberal experience.:icon_scratch:???:laughing7: Keep the cabin in Galice, as it is cheap, solar panels water rights (creek and a well) and gold everywhere. Roseburg area has great gold too. Plus my wife is a pharmacy tech, anywhere outside of Brookings her wages double! Roseburg, Grants Pass...

It sounds like where Scotty wants to live the prices are great.

You have a cabin in Galice??? Lucky you!!! I’d be sluicing all the time! We need pics!!!

I love Galice area.

The key to landlording is be extremely picky about who you allow to move in to your properties. Can’t discriminate, but as a private guy you have more leeway than a management company has. They will generally rent to anyone with first, last, and deposit, and a credit score high enough. Credit score says nothing of how they take care of stuff, or how many times the cops come to break up domestics!

Love grants pass, but I was told the other day drugs and poverty is on the rise? Is this true?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a cabin in Galice??? Lucky you!!! I’d be sluicing all the time! We need pics!!!

I love Galice area.

The key to landlording is be extremely picky about who you allow to move in to your properties. Can’t discriminate, but as a private guy you have more leeway than a management company has. They will generally rent to anyone with first, last, and deposit, and a credit score high enough. Credit score says nothing of how they take care of stuff, or how many times the cops come to break up domestics!

Love grants pass, but I was told the other day drugs and poverty is on the rise? Is this true?

Drugs are on the rise here in Oregon, everywhere else also I imagine. Transients are allowed to camp/squat on public property thanks to an supreme appeals court ruling.. Liberal judge... so our library had 20-30 homeless camps on it's property! Tents on our boardwalk ... tourists see that. You are just aware of them now because you see them a lot more. They are getting violent too.

Grants Pass has 34,000 residents now, it is booming. Stores are popping up everywhere. I can buy things in GP. Arrows and archery equipment. Motorcycle parts and accessories, stuff for my guitars. Brookings does not have any of those needed items, great for ling cod, surf perch, salmon, steelhead, and the beaches. Plus I can fly up I-5 to Medford , 80,000 plus, for even more "shopping" opportunities. I shop online but its nice to get what you need or want.. now.

My RC hobby, I buy all of that stuff online, RC trucks, planes boats and drones... hey sounds like a song!... upgrades, LiPo batteries etc. Especially plane parts when some dumb ass breaks the wings!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread