dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So true 302. History is filled with despotic regimes because the majority stood by and watched.

BTW - 302 your fav ford engine?
Could be his favorite gm motor too you know......Although Ford's was much more well known.
[h=3]302[/h]General Motors produced a special 302 cu in (4.9 L) (referred to as 5.0 L) engine exclusively for the production Z/28 Chevrolet Camaro (first generation) in order for it to meet the Sports Car Club of America SCCA Trans-Am Series racing rules from 1967–1969. It was the product of placing the 283 3-inch stroke crankshaft into a 4-inch bore 327 block. The 1967 302 used the same nodular cast-iron crank as the 283[4], with a forged-steel crankshaft that was also produced. This block is one of 3 displacements, 302/327/350, that underwent a crankshaft bearing diameter transformation for 1968 when the rod-journal size was increased from the 2.00 in. diameter small-journal to a 2.10 large-journal and the main-journal size was increased from 2.30 in. to 2.45. The large-journal connecting rods were heavier and used 3/8 in. diameter cap-bolts to replace the small-journal's 11/32. 1968 blocks were made in 2-bolt and 4-bolt versions with the 4-bolt center-three main caps each fastened by two additional bolts which were supported by the addition of heavier crankcase main-web bulkheads. When the journal size increased to the standard large-journal size, the crankshaft for the 302 was specially built of tufftride-hardened forged 1053-steel and fitted with a high-rpm 8.00 in. diameter harmonic balancer. It had a 3/4-length semi-circular windage tray, heat-treated, magnafluxed, and shot-peened forged 1038-steel 'pink' connecting rods, floating-pin in `69, and forged-aluminum pistons with higher scuff-resistance, better sealing single-moly rings. Its solid-lifter cam, known as the '30-30 Duntov' cam named after its .030/.030 in. intake/exhaust hot valve-lash and Zora Arkus-Duntov (the Duntov cam was the .012/.018 1957 camshaft known as the '097, which referred to the last three digits of the casting number) the "father of the Corvette", was also used in the 1964-65 carbureted 327/365 and F.I. 327/375 engines. It used the '202' 2.02/1.60 valve diameter high-performance 327 double-hump `461 heads, pushrod guide plates, hardened 'blue-stripe' pushrods, edge-orifice lifters to keep more valvetrain oil in the crankcase for high-rpm lubrication, and stiffer valvesprings. In 1967, a new design high-rise cast-aluminum dual-plane intake manifold with larger smoother passage turn runners was introduced for the Z/28 that the LT-1 350 1969 Corvette and 1970 Z/28 engines were equipped with until the Q-jet carburetor returned in 1973. Unlike the Corvette, the exhaust manifolds were the more restrictive rear outlet 'log' design to clear the Camaro's front cross-member. It had a chrome oil filler tube and valve covers from 1967 to 1968, and chrome 14.00 x 3.00 in. drop-base open-element air-cleaner assembly on a 780cfm vacuum secondary Holley 4-Bbl carburetor. A 'divorced' exhaust crossover port heated well-choke thermostat coil was used to provide cleaner and faster engine warm-up. Its single-point distributor had an ignition point cam designed to reduce point-bounce at high-rpm along with a vacuum diaphragm to advance ignition timing at idle and part-throttle for economy and emissions. Balancer and water-pump pulleys, as well as optional power-steering pulleys, were deep-groove for fan belt retention at high-rpm. In 1969, the 302 shared the finned cast-aluminum valve covers with the LT-1 350 Corvette engine. Conservatively rated at 290 hp (216 kW) (SAE gross) at 5800 rpm and 290 lb-ft at 4800, actual output with its production 11:1 compression ratio was around 376 hp (280 kW) with 1.625 in. primary x 3.0 secondary tubular headers that came in the trunk when ordered with a new Z/28, carburetor main-jet, and ignition timing tuning[SUP][citation needed][/SUP].
After the 1967 Trans-Am campaign with the 4-Bbl induction system producing more horsepower than the competing auto makers' 8-Bbl systems, for 1968 Chevrolet developed a factory 'cross-ram' aluminum intake-manifold package using two Holley 600cfm mechanical-secondary carburetors for Trans-Am racing. It was available only as off-road service parts purchased over the Chevrolet dealership parts counter. With the Chevrolet '140 1st-design off-road cam, the package increased a stock 302's hp from 360 hp to approximately 400. Chevrolet went so far as to carry the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system over to the cross-ram induction system to retain emissions compliance mandated for U.S.-produced cars beginning in 1967, that also provided full-throttle crankcase pressure venting to the intake air to burn its vapors. Engines prepared for competition use were capable of producing 465 hp with little more than the 8-Bbl induction, ported heads with higher pressure valvesprings, roller rocker arms, and the '754 2nd-design road-race cam. 1967/1968 models' cowl-induction system had an enclosed air-cleaner assembly ducted from its passenger side into the firewall cowl above the heater core. In 1969, factory ZL-2 cowl-induction hoods were available for both the single and dual four-barrel induction systems that were sealed to the air-cleaner base ensuring cooler, high-pressure, dense air from the center of the base of the windshield was supplied to the engine for combustion smoothness and maximum power production. Another popular service-parts-only component used on the 302 was the magnetic-pulse Delco transistor-ignition ball-bearing inductive-ignition distributor, introduced in 1967 and also used in the L88 427 Corvette, that eliminated the production breaker-point ignition allowing greater spark energy and more stable ignition-timing at high engine speeds[SUP][citation needed][/SUP].
The 302's bore/stroke and rod/stroke geometries made it a natural high-rpm engine and were responsible for its being among the more reliable production street engines homologated for full-competition across all the American makes winning back-to-back Trans-Am Championships at the hands of Mark Donohue in 1968 and 1969. Trans-Am rules required that all engine components have Chevrolet production part numbers and be purchased through Chevrolet dealerships. However, the pinnacle of the 302's use in professional racing was its being the primary engine that powered the outstanding but overshadowed 1968-1976 SCCA Formula 5000 Championship Series, a SCCA Formula A open-wheel class designed for lower cost. Weighing 1400 lbs., with 525-550 hp, a 5-spd. magnesium transaxle, and 20 in. wide 15 in. rear wheels, it produced incredibly exciting racing. Prepared with a Lucas-McKay mechanically-timed fuel-injection individual-stack magnesium induction-system that was paired with ported production double-hump iron heads, a rev-kit fitted roller-lifter camshaft, roller bearing rocker arms, and a virtually stock production crankshaft, it had a lasting impact on the series' ability to conduct high car-number finishes and close competition events by the degree of mechanical success it provided to a series filled with star international Grand Prix drivers like David Hobbs, Brian Redman, Jody Scheckter, and Mario Andretti.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And now I quickly offer this diversion, because, umm, I like diversions. OK?

38 Maps You Never Knew You Needed
(the first isn't really NSFW, but, it's there.....)

Best,

Scott

And now for something completely the same...Everybody post your observations of you state (this was very informative BTW)

my state Delaware.

Map 20: It is Awesome according to Google. If it is on the internet it must be true...
Maps 32-38: Of the 7 deadly sins, only sloth and gluttony are non-existent....that is because I was the guy who was supposed to report those tables. I got lazy and ate them. I'm sorry!
Map 31: We missed the ice age by 100 miles
Map 30:Our outlets are ordinary.. for America
Map 28: Is internet explorer still available? I use firefox!
Map 27: So Canadians only have one neighbor....Us. I am so sorry Backbacon....not that we are as horrible as Dano says,:icon_scratch: but, Wow! It's almost as bad as being married....isn't it?
Map 25: How many people are really a Smith? That just proves how mistrustful Americans are.
If milk does a body good, then explain this dairy.jpg obviously made with milk

Map19: Rock and roll ain't noise pollution....but all them laser shows are having an effect
Map 16: Sorry Backbacon...only one other country has an appreciation for hockey. Guess the Calgary Flames ain't so hot.
Map 14: It shows the world how it really is.....FLAT...Crispin will argue that. But he would argue if I said we never went to the moon too.
Map 13: The east coast definitely has an advantage when it comes to NSA Casual encounters...unfortunately this is the number one Casual Encounters Poster for this region loverboy.jpg
Map 12:

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Any self respecting movement needs to fill vital positions before momentum is dissipated. Two important positions are rumor control and creating a nuisance. As a voluntary organization we look for the proactive self-sacrificing spirit of the Honey Badger to close our ranks and complete the circle of our creed.
Who, I ask who, will take up the yoke of Rumor Control?

I hereby appoint hvacker Chief of Civil Service. All requests for new positions can be processed through him. Sounds like we need a Captain of the Homeguard and Minister of Mischief Management...

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems that there may be a struggle for a yet un-named post,
shall we call it the "Sultan of Swing?"

One appointed as, say, "The DJ."

I have actually been the Guest on a radio show and had to bring my own records!

WYMX..Augusta, Georgia.
If I had to guess, I'd say about 1979-1980....:dontknow:

But, I still have a copy of the broadcast on cassette here somewhere.

I CAN find it. How to post cassettes to the internet?

Tell ya what, you call me and I'll play it for you on the phone! :thumbsup:

I say....

OPEN the elections for "Ambassador of Music!"
(or DJ, your choice of title.....)

Best,

Scott

PS.
I guess that you do realize that my hat is in the ring......

(in the spirit of what Abraham Lincoln might have said
in just a circumstance as I, already representing "The Wolfpack,"

"Though I am able to wear the hat of many,
I am always as one with my Brothers."

Let the Campaign Begin!

(Got any babies need kissin'? Hands to be shook?)

for background of my past musical knowledge andability to assimmilate "the song to the situation,"

I offer this from my college webpage:

"GIT 'ER HERE"

As far as the depth of my knowledge, I offer this from the above link, to "cut to the chase..."

78 rpm records

(I have many of the songs on this link)

Now accepting applications for Ambassador of Music. This position will be chosen by our Minster of Music, Bill from Lachine.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummm...

I'm cool with "Assistant Minister of Music....."
(conditions apply...)

Always lookin' ahead...8-)

Best,

Scott

Any or all Second the nomination?

Any opposed?

To a vote.....

Last edited:

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love that! How kind of you really! I work as a wildlife rehabber on the side. Those guys are all bravado ....LOL!
My dog flipped out, I went and checked. There she was scrambling up the fence. Some might say I take unnecessary risks. But I've had better luck with the worst of nature then I have with the best of humanity. And I'm not going to live forever so I figured I might as well gear that life towards experiencing things instead of avoiding them in the hopes of extending my longevity. But I'm not gonna go swimming with rays, or hanging out with grizzlies anytime soon. In that respect playing with a grumpy old possum is safe.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW....

Who do we have among us knowledgeable on the law? On medicine? On growing and gardening?
On creating, fixing and manufacturing? On construction? Or the Arts, which music has always played a part.

If we are to not be afraid, it is because WE can rise again, and build towards the future with the lessons of the past and the love and compassion of the present!

Always,

My Best Wishes,

Scott

Last edited:

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW....

Who do we have among us knowledgeable on the law? On medicine? On growing and gardening? On creating, fixing and manufacturing? On construction?

If we are to not be afraid, it is because WE can rise again, and build towards the future with the lessons of the past and the love and compassion of the present!

Always,

My Best,

Scott

I can build you a Cannabis grow room. I think it should be legal for the simple fact it can be used to make diesel. !!!
You'll see why when I tell these guys what 302 is about.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I vote against a bullies list...blacklisting is a bad habit ;-)

This thread is such a kick by the way- proud to be a member!

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dog flipped out, I went and checked. There she was scrambling up the fence. Some might say I take unnecessary risks. But I've had better luck with the worst of nature then I have with the best of humanity. And I'm not going to live forever so I figured I might as well gear that life towards experiencing things instead of avoiding them in the hopes of extending my longevity. But I'm not gonna go swimming with rays, or hanging out with grizzlies anytime soon. In that respect playing with a grumpy old possum is safe.

I prefer nature myself, I think to live with nature is to extends life.....sure keeps everything in perspective :)

ForumRunner_20130225_193215.png

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KevinInColorado said:
I vote against a bullies list...blacklisting is a bad habit ;-)

This thread is such a kick by the way- proud to be a member!

Completely agree. I would not stoop to publicly acknowledge. That post was a bit of baiting and no one fell for it.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
Crispin you may have out done urself with this one
I am settin up another flag across the valley consider this
a shot across your bow weehoooo!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
302guy, it is now legal to grow your own :) in Colorado

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dieselram94 said:
Could be his favorite gm motor too you know......Although Ford's was much more well known.
[h=3]302[/h]General Motors produced a special 302 cu in (4.9 L) (referred to as 5.0 L) engine exclusively for the production Z/28 Chevrolet Camaro (first generation) in order for it to meet the Sports Car Club of America SCCA Trans-Am Series racing rules from 1967–1969. It was the product of placing the 283 3-inch stroke crankshaft into a 4-inch bore 327 block. The 1967 302 used the same nodular cast-iron crank as the 283[4], with a forged-steel crankshaft that was also produced. This block is one of 3 displacements, 302/327/350, that underwent a crankshaft bearing diameter transformation for 1968 when the rod-journal size was increased from the 2.00 in. diameter small-journal to a 2.10 large-journal and the main-journal size was increased from 2.30 in. to 2.45. The large-journal connecting rods were heavier and used 3/8 in. diameter cap-bolts to replace the small-journal's 11/32. 1968 blocks were made in 2-bolt and 4-bolt versions with the 4-bolt center-three main caps each fastened by two additional bolts which were supported by the addition of heavier crankcase main-web bulkheads. When the journal size increased to the standard large-journal size, the crankshaft for the 302 was specially built of tufftride-hardened forged 1053-steel and fitted with a high-rpm 8.00 in. diameter harmonic balancer. It had a 3/4-length semi-circular windage tray, heat-treated, magnafluxed, and shot-peened forged 1038-steel 'pink' connecting rods, floating-pin in `69, and forged-aluminum pistons with higher scuff-resistance, better sealing single-moly rings. Its solid-lifter cam, known as the '30-30 Duntov' cam named after its .030/.030 in. intake/exhaust hot valve-lash and Zora Arkus-Duntov (the Duntov cam was the .012/.018 1957 camshaft known as the '097, which referred to the last three digits of the casting number) the "father of the Corvette", was also used in the 1964-65 carbureted 327/365 and F.I. 327/375 engines. It used the '202' 2.02/1.60 valve diameter high-performance 327 double-hump `461 heads, pushrod guide plates, hardened 'blue-stripe' pushrods, edge-orifice lifters to keep more valvetrain oil in the crankcase for high-rpm lubrication, and stiffer valvesprings. In 1967, a new design high-rise cast-aluminum dual-plane intake manifold with larger smoother passage turn runners was introduced for the Z/28 that the LT-1 350 1969 Corvette and 1970 Z/28 engines were equipped with until the Q-jet carburetor returned in 1973. Unlike the Corvette, the exhaust manifolds were the more restrictive rear outlet 'log' design to clear the Camaro's front cross-member. It had a chrome oil filler tube and valve covers from 1967 to 1968, and chrome 14.00 x 3.00 in. drop-base open-element air-cleaner assembly on a 780cfm vacuum secondary Holley 4-Bbl carburetor. A 'divorced' exhaust crossover port heated well-choke thermostat coil was used to provide cleaner and faster engine warm-up. Its single-point distributor had an ignition point cam designed to reduce point-bounce at high-rpm along with a vacuum diaphragm to advance ignition timing at idle and part-throttle for economy and emissions. Balancer and water-pump pulleys, as well as optional power-steering pulleys, were deep-groove for fan belt retention at high-rpm. In 1969, the 302 shared the finned cast-aluminum valve covers with the LT-1 350 Corvette engine. Conservatively rated at 290 hp (216 kW) (SAE gross) at 5800 rpm and 290 lb-ft at 4800, actual output with its production 11:1 compression ratio was around 376 hp (280 kW) with 1.625 in. primary x 3.0 secondary tubular headers that came in the trunk when ordered with a new Z/28, carburetor main-jet, and ignition timing tuning[SUP][citation needed][/SUP].
After the 1967 Trans-Am campaign with the 4-Bbl induction system producing more horsepower than the competing auto makers' 8-Bbl systems, for 1968 Chevrolet developed a factory 'cross-ram' aluminum intake-manifold package using two Holley 600cfm mechanical-secondary carburetors for Trans-Am racing. It was available only as off-road service parts purchased over the Chevrolet dealership parts counter. With the Chevrolet '140 1st-design off-road cam, the package increased a stock 302's hp from 360 hp to approximately 400. Chevrolet went so far as to carry the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system over to the cross-ram induction system to retain emissions compliance mandated for U.S.-produced cars beginning in 1967, that also provided full-throttle crankcase pressure venting to the intake air to burn its vapors. Engines prepared for competition use were capable of producing 465 hp with little more than the 8-Bbl induction, ported heads with higher pressure valvesprings, roller rocker arms, and the '754 2nd-design road-race cam. 1967/1968 models' cowl-induction system had an enclosed air-cleaner assembly ducted from its passenger side into the firewall cowl above the heater core. In 1969, factory ZL-2 cowl-induction hoods were available for both the single and dual four-barrel induction systems that were sealed to the air-cleaner base ensuring cooler, high-pressure, dense air from the center of the base of the windshield was supplied to the engine for combustion smoothness and maximum power production. Another popular service-parts-only component used on the 302 was the magnetic-pulse Delco transistor-ignition ball-bearing inductive-ignition distributor, introduced in 1967 and also used in the L88 427 Corvette, that eliminated the production breaker-point ignition allowing greater spark energy and more stable ignition-timing at high engine speeds[SUP][citation needed][/SUP].
The 302's bore/stroke and rod/stroke geometries made it a natural high-rpm engine and were responsible for its being among the more reliable production street engines homologated for full-competition across all the American makes winning back-to-back Trans-Am Championships at the hands of Mark Donohue in 1968 and 1969. Trans-Am rules required that all engine components have Chevrolet production part numbers and be purchased through Chevrolet dealerships. However, the pinnacle of the 302's use in professional racing was its being the primary engine that powered the outstanding but overshadowed 1968-1976 SCCA Formula 5000 Championship Series, a SCCA Formula A open-wheel class designed for lower cost. Weighing 1400 lbs., with 525-550 hp, a 5-spd. magnesium transaxle, and 20 in. wide 15 in. rear wheels, it produced incredibly exciting racing. Prepared with a Lucas-McKay mechanically-timed fuel-injection individual-stack magnesium induction-system that was paired with ported production double-hump iron heads, a rev-kit fitted roller-lifter camshaft, roller bearing rocker arms, and a virtually stock production crankshaft, it had a lasting impact on the series' ability to conduct high car-number finishes and close competition events by the degree of mechanical success it provided to a series filled with star international Grand Prix drivers like David Hobbs, Brian Redman, Jody Scheckter, and Mario Andretti.

True but their is nothing like a 302 in a classic 'stange!!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Seems the 289 solid lifter was more desirable though.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW....

Who do we have among us knowledgeable on the law? On medicine? On growing and gardening?
On creating, fixing and manufacturing? On construction? Or the Arts, which music has always played a part.

Always,

My Best Wishes,

Scott

Can make do on most basics,wood stove from barrel . basic shelter,scratch in the dirt,small farm stock. Barter,salvage.
302 aughta be able to keep tomatoes in stock in controlled environment .:thumbsup: might be able to help him.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Of course to me though a Cummins 12 valve blowing black smoke gets me a little more excited than a gas motor. But I will admit there is nothing quite like the sound of an American V-8 smoldering some tires. LOL!!!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crispin,

OK.

Do we need a minister of BS?
Specifically how to determine what is BS?

(remember that I once expressed interest in propaganda....)

Awaiting directives from the Command....

Best,

Scott

I've heard it said that the best cops would have been the best crooks.....

PS.

I like sandwiches, donuts and coffee....

Dang, that Scott is so ambiguous.....:tongue3:

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course to me though a Cummins 12 valve blowing black smoke gets me a little more excited than a gas motor. But I will admit there is nothing quite like the sound of an American V-8 smoldering some tires. LOL!!!

Still hear one out on main road once in a while,breathin right and running right. Miss them old carbs and points bounce(a little),leaving the distributor just loose enough to tweak on occasion. Open the doors on a 4 bbl.just to clean it out of course at 6 or 8 mpg. Felt like fun.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread