Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lithium is the way to go. I haven't gone there yet:laughing7:
I will bet that beast has some power to it. I love cordless. Jig saw, sawzall, circular saw, drills....
I would have to upgrade a lot of batteries.

I'm not sure about Dewalt but my understanding is the newer Porter Cable stuff will accept the lithium batteries. My last porter cable drill and driver set (Nicad) needed new batteries. So I sold the set on eBay and bought a new lithium set at Lowes on clearance with a additional 10% off coupon. All said and done I upgraded for less than $40!
I love getting deals!

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours looks fairly similar to my corded one. I love Dewalt tools! I ain't killed one yet[emoji1]
Yours definitely looks like it's made you some money!

The only problem with it is if I'am not paying attention, I have grabbed it and used it just as a drill/driver...after a few minutes I'm sayin....what the? It is heavier and I use the bigger batteries in it.
Hmmmmm Now I'm going to weigh/compare them! See what you started!:laughing7::laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The only problem with it is if I'am not paying attention, I have grabbed it and used it just as a drill/driver...after a few minutes I'm sayin....what the? It is heavier and I use the bigger batteries in it.
Hmmmmm Now I'm going to weigh/compare them! See what you started!:laughing7::laughing7:

Lol! I love tools!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure about Dewalt but my understanding is the newer Porter Cable stuff will accept the lithium batteries. My last porter cable drill and driver set (Nicad) needed new batteries. So I sold the set on eBay and bought a new lithium set at Lowes on clearance with a additional 10% off coupon. All said and done I upgraded for less than $40!
I love getting deals!

I think mine are to old for lithium, now that you mention it.
I still have some old Mikita 9.6! HEH!

Well I might have to upgrade everything!
My wife never complains (out loud) when I buy new tools. She does ask why a sliding compound miter saw is 500 bucks though!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I think mine are to old for lithium, now that you mention it.
I still have some old Mikita 9.6! HEH!

Well I might have to upgrade everything!
My wife never complains (out loud) when I buy new tools. She does ask why a sliding compound miter saw is 500 bucks though!

Wow! That's going back a ways! Mikita seems to be petering out. They don't seem to be as popular as they once were. They are tough though!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's going back a ways! Mikita seems to be petering out. They don't seem to be as popular as they once were. They are tough though!

The 9.6 batteries will not hold a charge I will betcha.
Mikita...I'm not a fan. I work with/around other contractors and haven't seen any Mikita for a few years. I don't see many gas powered nail guns either! Good! Loud, problematic, stinky..(Like some of the guys I've worked with) :laughing7: Air is still the best. Pneumatic nailers:icon_thumright:

Tools have come a long ways. Wide crown staplers for roofs...Nope! coil nailers!
For siding full round head using stainless ring shank nails. Sure I still use hammers. I have even paid 95 bucks for a hammer!! Wife just shook her head..:laughing7::laughing7:

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The 9.6 batteries will not hold a charge I will betcha.
Mikita...I'm not a fan. I work with/around other contractors and haven't seen any Mikita for a few years. I don't see many gas powered nail guns either! Good! Loud, problematic, stinky..(Like some of the guys I've worked with) :laughing7: Air is still the best. Pneumatic nailers:icon_thumright:

Absolutely, air is the best. Sucks when below freezing though! Hmm, stinky guys...one guy I work with takes the cake! I don't think he takes a shower but once a month! Smells like[emoji90][emoji40]

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely, air is the best. Sucks when below freezing though! Hmm, stinky guys...one guy I work with takes the cake! I don't think he takes a shower but once a month! Smells like[emoji90][emoji40]

I have told dudes...Take a ****** shower!
Freezing?:icon_scratch::icon_scratch: It was a brisk 39 here last night.
I plan/bid inside jobs for the winter.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh we have turned this place into...delayed live chat!
Well the new brushes made my hammer drill a wrist twister again!:headbang:
Now I have some guitars to work on. Hand tools only.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have told dudes...Take a ****** shower!
Freezing?:icon_scratch::icon_scratch: It was a brisk 39 here last night.
I plan/bid inside jobs for the winter.

I've had impact guns freeze up with ice while using outside. I just don't understand why some guys don't mind being disgusting and filthy. I hate being dirty. I do far more mechanical, mowing, welding and fabricating work than construction. The first thing I do when getting home is take a shower and put on clean clothes.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Heh we have turned this place into...delayed live chat!
Well the new brushes made my hammer drill a wrist twister again!:headbang:
Now I have some guitars to work on. Hand tools only.

Absolutely, those little fasteners don't like 24volts of throbbing raw power! Lol

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those whom have never seen a 95 dollar hammer...Graphite wrapped hickory handle, Titanium head. 16 OZ.
Why? I don't know...

DSCN9805.JPG

DSCN9806.JPG

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sweet hammer! Sure beats mine, a $15.00 Lowes special! Lol!
One tool I never use anymore is my Dewalt biscuit joiner. Ever since I got my Kreg pocket hole screw jig I just never use it anymore.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet hammer! Sure beats mine, a $15.00 Lowes special! Lol!
One tool I never use anymore is my Dewalt biscuit joiner. Ever since I got my Kreg pocket hole screw jig I just never use it anymore.

Yeh some tools are obsolete. Standard screwdrivers? I don't think so! Star drive. Or hidden deck fasteners, no exposed screws. Make a red cedar deck look sharp. I use an old school router still. Mostly for hand railings. You make a grove so as when you crab the 2 by 6...your fingers wrap over the board and fit..into the groove.
Now when I sand I use the DeWalt with the bag. All my compound miter saws have a shop vac hooked to the bag "spout/tube" so when you cut all dust is removed. Old school no one even wore masks.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yeh some tools are obsolete. Standard screwdrivers? I don't think so! Star drive. Or hidden deck fasteners, no exposed screws. Make a red cedar deck look sharp. I use an old school router still. Mostly for hand railings. You make a grove so as when you crab the 2 by 6...your fingers wrap over the board and fit..into the groove.
Now when I sand I use the DeWalt with the bag. All my compound miter saws have a shop vac hooked to the bag "spout/tube" so when you cut all dust is removed. Old school no one even wore masks.

Absolutely, got to watch the dust, especially if it has old paint in it. I hate standard screwdrivers...except as chiseled! Lol it's amazing what you can do with a router.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely, got to watch the dust, especially if it has old paint in it. I hate standard screwdrivers...except as chiseled! Lol it's amazing what you can do with a router.

I have found that MDF trim/baseboard is the worst. Some of the triple wides use it. Hardi plank also. Dust is nasty. I use a 7 Horse power shop vac that turns on when the saw is triggered. Most of the dust is removed. I still wear a mask though.
The only thing worse IMO is green guard, the stuff they use for pressure treated lumber. Copper napthinate?? You can buy the stuff and spray wood to stop rot. I was using it indoors and the fumes made me sick as heck. I should have known....it ate through the seals of a "regular" spray bottle! They make a hutchions sprayer just for that stuff....Use it!!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have found that MDF trim/baseboard is the worst. Some of the triple wides use it. Hardi plank also. Dust is nasty. I use a 7 Horse power shop vac that turns on when the saw is triggered. Most of the dust is removed. I still wear a mask though.
The only thing worse IMO is green guard, the stuff they use for pressure treated lumber. Copper napthinate?? You can buy the stuff and spray wood to stop rot. I was using it indoors and the fumes made me sick as heck. I should have known....it ate through the seals of a "regular" spray bottle! They make a hutchions sprayer just for that stuff....Use it!!

Sounds like that stuff could give you cancer if you were to breath it in. Do you do much with stucco?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like that stuff could give you cancer if you were to breath it in. Do you do much with stucco?

No I do not. No stucco and /or Sheetrock. I have a friend that is a painter, I call him!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
No I do not. No stucco and /or Sheetrock. I have a friend that is a painter, I call him!

I don't blame you there. I have some stucco work to do in Florida next time I'm down this summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions