bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

On another thread stockpicker had mentioned that learning was a lifelong process.....I tend to come at it from the same perspective.....

Some of the folks have some pretty heavy cred on the forums insofar as intellect is concerned some because of advanced education and others like myself....just high school but mostly self taught from books and the school of hard knocks....either way it's all good....

If I have an interest in a subject I'll find the best books or experts in the field and learn it to the best of my ability....it also helps to keep the grey cells active during the cabin fever season.....

Some of it's intellectual and some just for fun.....the following 2 pictures will give you an example....lol

Regards + HH

Bill

Attachments

• DSC00117.JPG
    DSC00117.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00116.JPG
    DSC00116.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 86

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bill, I must agree as well learning is a life long adventure. Much fun. When I was a kid my favorite thing to do was read. Anything from repair manuals, to magazines, to history books, to fiction. Not all wisdom is learned in a classroom. Life itself is a magnificent teacher. All one must be willing to do is pay attention.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure crispin can add a lot more to the Convo but I believe it is pretty well accepted that one needs to continue to "exercise" the brain to keep it healthy. My dad does a lot of sudoku and crosswords everyday. Just like exercising the body. You know what they say, use it or lose it!!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen some highly educated well schooled upper crust folks who have lot's of fancy initials after their name standing in an acid rain staring straight up with their mouth agape.

I gotta go for the beer book and the killing off of slower brain cells theory. Think about it... all the warning labels- don't use a hair dryer in the shower stuff. It's not for people who can't read, now is it?

Party boy.gif

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't get much time to read, but rebgirl was telling me about a book called 50 shades of grey. sounded interesting

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff,

Probably you should check it out or else she'll come after you with her shive....be afraid....be very afraid...lol.

I don't get much time to read, but rebgirl was telling me about a book called 50 shades of grey. sounded interesting

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They say "knowledge is power" and I believe it to be true. The last four pieces of literature that have graced my eyes during the last few days are as follows.

1. Dr. Seuss's Go Dog Go
2. The Prehistory Of Northern Ontario
3. A Legacy Of Stone
4. Copper Technology In The Maritimes: An Examination Of Indigenous Copper-Working In The Maritime Provinces During The Prehistoric And Historic Period

I'm planning to have a beer with my Penny collection on Friday evening then off to the club to swoon the ladies. That is of course all after a trip to the University's library in the morning. It's all true.... well except for the club part of it.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked in my school library from the 2nd grade through 6th grade. Before I was 10, I had mastered Mythology, astrology, Marco Polo, wars, religions, etc...... Loved biographies and autobiographies. My parents had also saved every Time Life, Harpers' Bazaar, and Readers Digest, going back to the 40's. My SAT scores at 12 yo said I was reading and comprehending at a college level.
7th grade and on, it all went downhill, as far as the secular learning goes. I actually think I learned more from that library and those magazines, than I did my classrooms.
Please don't ask about my MMPI scores. LOL!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I worked in my school library from the 2nd grade through 6th grade. Before I was 10, I had mastered Mythology, astrology, Marco Polo, wars, religions, etc...... Loved biographies and autobiographies. My parents had also saved every Time Life, Harpers' Bazaar, and Readers Digest, going back to the 40's. My SAT scores at 12 yo said I was reading and comprehending at a college level.
7th grade and on, it all went downhill, as far as the secular learning goes. I actually think I learned more from that library and those magazines, than I did my classrooms.

MMPI is a WONDERFUL tool; I remember taking THAT!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently read a book called New York and it taught me tons of stuff I didn't know about the early times in America. I used to pore over encyclopedias and National Geographic when I was young.its good to get the brain honed in case I ever get to be on Jeopardy.:icon_thumright:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other

Lol, okay I will not ask about your MMPI scores. I just want to know about the L, K, and S scales. ;)

Crisp

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure crispin can add a lot more to the Convo but I believe it is pretty well accepted that one needs to continue to "exercise" the brain to keep it healthy. My dad does a lot of sudoku and crosswords everyday. Just like exercising the body. You know what they say, use it or lose it!!

You got this spot on. I am commonly asked, "What can I do to stave off dementia and memory problems?" Answer, "Anything that keeps the mind active." More specifically, anything that involves making complex analysis and decisions. Sudoku and Crosswords are great examples. Word finds are not that helpful, they utilize a different part of the brain. Bridge is another excellent example, solitarie not so much.

Reading helps but that is also a different part of the brain and people should do additional decision making exercises.

Metal detecting is very helpful. Gardening is good as well. The important thing is to find a hobby that keeps the mind active and is enjoyed.

Crispin

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
You got this spot on. I am commonly asked, "What can I do to stave off dementia and memory problems?" Answer, "Anything that keeps the mind active." More specifically, anything that involves making complex analysis and decisions. Sudoku and Crosswords are great examples. Word finds are not that helpful, they utilize a different part of the brain. Bridge is another excellent example, solitarie not so much.

Reading helps but that is also a different part of the brain and people should do additional decision making exercises.

Metal detecting is very helpful. Gardening is good as well. The important thing is to find a hobby that keeps the mind active and is enjoyed.

Crispin

AGREE!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread