Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A good start ...

What is critical thinking?

​Basically, it’s the ability to construct, and to understand, a reasoned argument and--especially important--to recognize a fallacious or fraudulent argument. The question is not whether we like the conclusion of a train of reasoning, but whether the conclusion follows from the premise or starting. point.

Among the few simple rules:

• Propositions that are not testable are worthless--you have to be able to check assertions out.
• There must be substantive debate--it isn’t enough simply to attack your opponent’s character.
• If there is a chain of argument, every link in the chain must work, including the premise--not just most of them.
• Arguments from authority carry little weight--“authorities” have made mistakes in the past and will do so again.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, my dog's better looking than your dog. Wait, I don't have a dog. Better change that to a cat. Oh golly, I already flunked the checking it out part. Never mind...

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
World - isn't this a good practice no matter what your political affiliation is?

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You hit the nail on the head. Thinking is a process and critical thinking provides that process to help people look at a piece of information and determine its validity. Just as someone doing an experiment uses the scientific process.

Not sure why anyone would see this as a bad thing?

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's right. I think critical thinking is something that is taught (how to do it well). And something that is best practiced and honed.

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What in this is a "bad thing" regardless of you political stance? I guess I don't get the opposition?

A good start ...

What is critical thinking?

​Basically, it’s the ability to construct, and to understand, a reasoned argument and--especially important--to recognize a fallacious or fraudulent argument. The question is not whether we like the conclusion of a train of reasoning, but whether the conclusion follows from the premise or starting. point.

Among the few simple rules:

• Propositions that are not testable are worthless--you have to be able to check assertions out.
• There must be substantive debate--it isn’t enough simply to attack your opponent’s character.
• If there is a chain of argument, every link in the chain must work, including the premise--not just most of them.
• Arguments from authority carry little weight--“authorities” have made mistakes in the past and will do so again.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's right. I think critical thinking is something that is taught (how to do it well). And something that is best practiced and honed.

Does a bird need to be taught how to build a nest? I don't need to be taught how to think either,how much more is a Human Being than a bird. Maybe that went over your head.

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
worldtalker said:
Does a bird need to be taught how to build a nest? I don't need to be taught how to think either,how much more is a Human Being than a bird. Maybe that went over your head.

Whoa, no need to insult because someone disagrees with you.

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
worldtalker said:
I can't help if you took it personally,no malice intended. That's what presumption does.

Maybe it went over your head? Tell me how I'm suppose to take that. When discussing an issue is there a reason to make any sort of personal comment. Do you believe that it helps to make your point?

sprinter

Feb 2, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful what you think because your thoughts will become words !!!

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking, especially critical thinking is a personal matter, only to be compromised when those thought's are shared. We all are critical thinkers, but not always critical communicaters.......Gary

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Critical thinking is just a fancy label for an opinion. There is no more truth to critical thinking than one's ability to conform to the norm. If someone's thoughts are not aligned to the masses, then they are the ones being criticized. Interesting concept if you ask me.

Cory

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When I took logic in college we learned there were over 150 argumental fallacies or what was referred to as illegal arguments. In logic the term argument means a connected series of statements to establish a definite proposition.. Not like arguing with the wife. Fortunately we only had to recognize 30 or 40. Sometimes they are hard to find when an argument is long and verbose. What one learns on the internet is most people can't form a legal argument without committing a fallacy.
It can be proven that people's brain is logical by nature as long as emotions are not encountered. Emotions change the way the brain processes information. Remember the character Spock. That's the normal way our brain can work, w/o emotions being in the drivers seat.

Critical thinking isn't simply an opinion. It's a study in how our brains work. As in inductive and deductive thinking. An example of how our minds can follow an argument,
Socrates is a man
All men die
Therefore Socrates will.............Our mind will fill in the blanks.
Another interesting fact is an argument can be legal and still not be true.
Ford's pardon of Nixon was packed full of argumental fallacies. Strange as becoming a lawyer one has to study logic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread