Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Medical question for Crispin:

Ok so I take a large dose of propranolol once daily. About 2 years ago I started having a "sleep disorder". I wake up in the night and I am convinced it is time to go to work. I will often stare at the clock for up to 5 minutes before I finally realize it is time to go back to bed. Sometimes I wake up my wife and tell her it is time to get up or ask her when she is planning on getting up. Sometimes I remember this happening but sometimes I dont. Usually she tells me it is only 11pm and then I go immediately back to sleep.

I noticed that about 9 months ago it got worse. I really think it is stress induced as it seems to happen almost daily when I am stressed out or very busy at work. I typically wake up shortly after going to bed (like 1030 or 11). I read that it could be a side effect of the propranolol. Sometimes I wonder if the propranolol even does anything positive for me.

Crispin, what are your thoughts about this? Any suggestions or helpful comments?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can I ask what propranolol is for?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok then, siince Crispin is apparently getting his botox injection. I (not having any medical training) wonder, have you tried a lower dose?

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other

Ok so I take a large dose of propranolol once daily. About 2 years ago I started having a "sleep disorder". I wake up in the night and I am convinced it is time to go to work. I will often stare at the clock for up to 5 minutes before I finally realize it is time to go back to bed. Sometimes I wake up my wife and tell her it is time to get up or ask her when she is planning on getting up. Sometimes I remember this happening but sometimes I dont. Usually she tells me it is only 11pm and then I go immediately back to sleep.

I noticed that about 9 months ago it got worse. I really think it is stress induced as it seems to happen almost daily when I am stressed out or very busy at work. I typically wake up shortly after going to bed (like 1030 or 11). I read that it could be a side effect of the propranolol. Sometimes I wonder if the propranolol even does anything positive for me.

Crispin, what are your thoughts about this? Any suggestions or helpful comments?

I am not establishing a doctor-patient relationship. This question is being answered theoretically. No changes should be made without first contacting your physician.

Great Question! To start off, propranolol is a blood pressure medication. What dose is one taking? It is unlikely that it is causing the problems at night. It sounds like one is having a REM sleep disorder. More specifically, one is having difficulty coming out of REM. When the brain sleeps there is a paralyzation that occurs that prevents somebody from acting out their dreams. In some people, this can be overridden. Hence, talking in one's sleep or striking out in one's sleep. Stress plays a huge role in sleep and dreams. The more stress one is under the more latent emotion in the subconscious. Dreams are the subconscious manifestations of emotion. When I have a rough week at work I am all over the place in my dreams. REM is the last stage of sleep. When this is over the brain wakes up and the paralyzation dissipates. Some people have a disorder when they wake up but it takes a couple of minutes for the paralyzation to go away. I have heard that it is quite terrifying. You have the opposite problem, your paralyzation circuit is cutting off but you are not completely coming out of the sleep cycle...most likely you are in theta, delta, or REM wavelength.

Alcohol, other medications, and stress are three examples of things that will make this worse. Most sleep medications are addictive and should be avoided. Over the counter melatonin can be helpful for some people. Any OTC drug that does not use melatonin has Benadryl in it. Benadryl is addictive and can be very problematic, it should also be avoided. Trazodone is a good sleep medication that I would consider for this problem. It is not addictive and one cannot develop a tolerance to it. Elavil is a good treatment for migraines and causes sedation, it could be a two-in-one package.

All medications can have side effects and interactions. If it does not bother one that much then my best advice would be to live with it.

Concluding thoughts. Highly unlikely it is the propranolol. Doubtful that propranolol is helpful for ones migraines. Most likely stress. Could be a side effect of some medications, I would need to see a complete list.

Good luck,

Doc Crispy

Ps. Sign up for Crispy's Critters today!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin, my doc is retiring and being replaced by a doogie houser. you sound like you know your stuff. If you move to indy I would like to be our patient

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jersy I think the problem is it relieves you of common sense 9 months before you read the side effects on the prescription No offense But???

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Jersy I think the problem is it relieves you of common sense 9 months before you read the side effects on the prescription No offense But???

Can you elaborate? No sure what you are implying.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerseyben, another great source for quick information is your local pharmacist. Actually, in most cases they are way more up to date with medications and reactions than the doctors are.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Jerseyben, another great source for quick information is your local pharmacist. Actually, in most cases they are way more up to date with medications and reactions than the doctors are.

LOL, thanks for the vote of confidence Spart! ;)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crisp, no disrespect, but that's the only thing a pharmacist really studies, not the root causes. Besides, who comes to visit you when a new drug is released, the company's salesperson. You only know what they tell you, if they in error omit anything, well. :tongue3: Just like in regular medicine, sometimes the pharmacist knows something over the counter that may be even better.:laughing7:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Crisp, no disrespect, but that's the only thing a pharmacist really studies, not the root causes. Besides, who comes to visit you when a new drug is released, the company's salesperson. You only know what they tell you, if they in error omit anything, well. :tongue3: Just like in regular medicine, sometimes the pharmacist knows something over the counter that may be even better.:laughing7:

True, very true. You got one thing wrong though. Who comes to visit me when a new drug comes out? Nobody. Drug reps and pharma are banned from my office. When a new drug comes out I obtain the data from the original study and review it for myself. Of course, I only do this with the drugs in my speciality. If I did that for every new drug that came out then that is all I would do.

Crispin

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Crispin, Thank you for the helpful info.

I will speak to my neurologist about this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread