pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where i'm from in Pa. deer hunting is a way of life and wasting meat is stricly not tolerated.. We use everything we can off of every deer we are fortunate enough to harvest... To hear of a waste like this is very sad.. Venision is very lean and very good for you.. To just waste it is not only disgusting but a true disservice to the animal that provided the meat in my opinion..

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I share every year,not with the homeless but people who welcome it not just because of being in a position of needing protein but also appreciate what it is.
Many hunters here donate a portion,its a way of caring and sharing. What a waste! If you don,t like it ,don,t eat it. Give it to the next person in line at shelter.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I share every year,not with the homeless but people who welcome it not just because of being in a position of needing protein but also appreciate what it is.
Many hunters here donate a portion,its a way of caring and sharing. What a waste! If you don,t like it ,don,t eat it. Give it to the next person in line at shelter.

It is a taste not all like,good,more for me!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As kids we did not know half the time what we were eating. If to many complained it was venison dad would say it was goat. Didn,t matter,eat or don,t.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
As kids we did not know half the time what we were eating. If to many complained it was venison dad would say it was goat. Didn,t matter,eat or don,t.

I've always liked goat,or rabbit,or squirrel,or,shut I've always liked what's cookin!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow,what a waste! I guess I can possibly understand that maybe the meat could have possibly been tainted somehow by water sources the deer were drinking from and posed a potential Heath risk but that's highly unlikely. I know that at the soup kitchen where I volunteer people are always bringing less than perfect vegetables for the taking.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow,what a waste! I guess I can possibly understand that maybe the meat could have possibly been tainted somehow by water sources the deer were drinking from and posed a potential Heath risk but that's highly unlikely. I know that at the soup kitchen where I volunteer people are always bringing less than perfect vegetables for the taking.

Always cut out the bad spot,lot of good left.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats on par with arresting people for giving food to the homeless.Complete ignorance.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Up here in MA we have deer coming out the ... You get the picture. Not many hunters left, no predators (except the car) left and plenty of food thanks to suburban living. I just don't understand why the state doesn't allow hunters to cull extra deer if they donate to food banks. Get a bunch of hunters and a couple butchers to donate their time. No excuse for any families to be without meat in my opinion. Might make for an interesting non-profit organization. Any town/state doing anything like this??

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunters for the hungry here,i process my own usually but the processors usually the ones involved.
Before roadhits could be taken to orphanages,and other places. Then a complaint suggested u.s.d.a. should be inspecting,compromise was going through processors. State wildlife agency should have info on what's going on locally.
Getting hunts in residential areas tricky,even archery. But happens in some areas.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Residential archery hunts , donating to shelters , processors all going on in my state . Back when my children were small we wernt affluent and neither was my struggling neighbor that helped me on the farm when he could for produce and a hog and a little beef . That food was seasonal and the 16 people we were responsible for needed protein every day . With 100 deer eating my crops and competing with my animals for forage the solution was easy . One deer a week didn't go far amongst 16 people . Especially when we saved back a few hams and shoulders to cure and smoke for future use . .22 bullets are cheap and so was our labor at the time . Nobody went hungry on my watch .

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
truckinbutch said:
Residential archery hunts , donating to shelters , processors all going on in my state . Back when my children were small we wernt affluent and neither was my struggling neighbor that helped me on the farm when he could for produce and a hog and a little beef . That food was seasonal and the 16 people we were responsible for needed protein every day . With 100 deer eating my crops and competing with my animals for forage the solution was easy . One deer a week didn't go far amongst 16 people . Especially when we saved back a few hams and shoulders to cure and smoke for future use . .22 bullets are cheap and so was our labor at the time . Nobody went hungry on my watch .

Great post. Congrats.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We do the hunters for the hungry program. I put 3 in my own freezer and have 4000 acres and 3 clubs. I will arrow a few for needy families as well as the homeless. Farmers get depredation permits and kill them in the summer months when they cause crop damage. They shoot them at night and pick them up the next day and bury them. We are sick about it and are trying to work with game wardens to save the meat for the shelters. On another note I pay for the processing fee and donate to the homeless shelter. $55 a deer or they will not take it. I butcher my own personal needs myself for special cuts. Last trip they complained oh no not more deer meat.:dontknow: I eat deer 3 or 5 times a week along with cattle I butcher. I eat as much fresh wild game as I can including fish. It is very healthy and lower fat than boneless chicken. Lots of runners are now after the meat for the protein.
Dove season I get as many as I can,,, yummy.
I guess this is typical waste in many places.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Iowa we just allowed dove hunting again. I hunted them in Minnesota when I was in highschool and found that you need a few for a good meal so I have never really been that into dove hunting because of that. I raise my own chickens, geese, ducks and turkeys so I guess I don't need the doves.

I went hunting a few times this last season and I came home with nothing. Not as many deer in my area as there have been in the past. I did get a road kill deer in mid fall because my friend hit it and he asked me if I wanted it. It was a yearling and the meat was very tender still for being hit. I always butcher my own stuff and with road kill animals you just to make sure it was hit recently and it isn't hot out, cut around any wounds and cut off any discolored meat.

This may sound weird but I also pick up roadkill fur bearing animals for the fur. Fur is selling high at the moment and in my opinion worth it. Always wear gloves with road kill.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And besides deer, goose should be on the menu every day for the hungry. We also have Canada geese coming out the ....

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya we do. I lived in Minnesota growing up and there hundreds if not thousands in every suburban pond and lake every fall and spring. Its kinda funny obviously you can't hunt them within city limits of most places in Minnesota but down here in Iowa we can hunt almost every place that is public even within the towns. One thing that is kinda strange is that north of me about an hour Canadian geese are protected on the Iowa great lakes. I see thousands each year flying over my house. I still have not seen any snow geese but from what I hear they have huge migrations as well, we have very little restrictions on snow goose hunting in Iowa.

The poor in our country shouldn't go hungry. From what I have read our standered of poor is alot diffrent than the rest of the world. Poor people from other countries would kill to be poor in our country.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing, when I was in California in the Marines we would head to San Diego or LA almost every weekend and blow all of our money. On sundays when we had to go back to base we would always give all of the liquor we had left over and give it to the homeless around the city because we couldn't have it on base. I remember giving one guy an almost full bottle of Jack and he looked delighted.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Canada geese are a nuisance around here and I was part of creating the problem . They were so rare when I was a kid that when the migrant flocks were flying overhead in the middle of the night folks would call all the neighbors on the phone . All us rubes would run out to the yard half clothed just to watch and listen to them flying over .
> Late '70's the DNR started importing nesting pairs from NY that were molting and couldn't fly . I helped with that program and stocked a lot of them on our ponds . They settled in and were prolific . No one realized until it was too late that the relocated geese and their progeny don't migrate . They remain here year round , devouring crops and polluting fresh water supplies .
Eat more geese .

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand that many states are now requiring that all deer killed need to be tested for "wasting brain disease" .. similar to the "mad cow disease" .. before the venison is determined to be fit for human consumption. Anybody else heard about that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread