Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to vent.

I have had a Paypal account for seven or eight years, 2,013 purchases for a total of just over $10k.

I bought something from Ebay the other day, went to pay and Paypal stopped the transaction saying I had reached my $2,000 sending limit, and needed to get verified. Ok....followed the prompts, and to get verified they want your bank account no. and they will put some money in to prove that I am me. (?)

I didn't want to give it, there was a second option to use a paypal credit card. I have enough cards, so I called them.

I went round n round before I could talk to a person, she said blah blah 2k limit get verified. I said BS, spent over $10k w no propb, what gives? Checked with her supervisor, and said oh...your limit was 10k. Why do I need to verify? So that we know that you are you. What? Argued for a while, gave up, went back to Ebay to use a credit card, and you cant. Paypal or bill me later. used the bill me later bs and I think it went directly to my card.

Went to Paypal to set up another account for another 10k w a different card, and right away they wanted to verify, even though I used different card, name, and Email, (wifes). so I xed out, but this morning I got an Email saying the new account is ready.

I have a good amount of money in my bank account, am I wrong for not wanting to give them access?? It just smells funny, I pay my bills every month, owe no one, and would just like to go on with Paypal the way I have for the last 8 yrs. I guess I could set up another bank account, with 20 bucks in it, and give them that, but it just ticks me off. Anyone else run into this?

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant.

Maven.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Verification has been going for years. As stated, you'll have access to a limited amount but after that they block it for YOUR own safety. All they do is send 1 cent or something to your account with some code..you send them the code...you're verified!
They used to get hacked a lot at paypal, so they brought this stuff in.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Verification has been going for years. As stated, you'll have access to a limited amount but after that they block it for YOUR own safety. All they do is send 1 cent or something to your account with some code..you send them the code...you're verified!

And after the mortgage debacle you can't blame any institution for wanting a little more info before extending their cash to you.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use paypal but my question is if you have a 10k limit and you pay it off every month doesn't that bring your limit back to zero. Why does my credit card say 25k limit and I pay it off what I bought Still hold a 25 K limit? If paypal been hacked before why would I give them my banking router #?

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you can get a prepaid visa or mc through coinstar for like 20 bucks and load 20 on it and use it to verify same as if you are have checks deposited into it.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been verified for years...no problems. I would just make sure you really are dealing with paypal and not some scam, there is a lot of scams out there circling around ebay and paypal.....Hope this helps.

S

stefen

Time to vent.

I have had a Paypal account for seven or eight years, 2,013 purchases for a total of just over $10k.

I bought something from Ebay the other day, went to pay and Paypal stopped the transaction saying I had reached my $2,000 sending limit, and needed to get verified. Ok....followed the prompts, and to get verified they want your bank account no. and they will put some money in to prove that I am me. (?)

I didn't want to give it, there was a second option to use a paypal credit card. I have enough cards, so I called them.

I went round n round before I could talk to a person, she said blah blah 2k limit get verified. I said BS, spent over $10k w no propb, what gives? Checked with her supervisor, and said oh...your limit was 10k. Why do I need to verify? So that we know that you are you. What? Argued for a while, gave up, went back to Ebay to use a credit card, and you cant. Paypal or bill me later. used the bill me later bs and I think it went directly to my card.

Went to Paypal to set up another account for another 10k w a different card, and right away they wanted to verify, even though I used different card, name, and Email, (wifes). so I xed out, but this morning I got an Email saying the new account is ready.

I have a good amount of money in my bank account, am I wrong for not wanting to give them access?? It just smells funny, I pay my bills every month, owe no one, and would just like to go on with Paypal the way I have for the last 8 yrs. I guess I could set up another bank account, with 20 bucks in it, and give them that, but it just ticks me off. Anyone else run into this?

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant.

Maven.

Went thru the exact same senerio...

Same results...

Maybe the thing to do is to set up a new checking account and Credit card with an unrelated bank...and keep a snall balance at all times...

Transfer money in and out as needed, and keep credit card current at all times...

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The fact that they have been hacked, doesn't make me feel like giving them my bank account number.

I will open a separate account with 20 bucks, and give that to them.

Thanks for the replies.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Again I have had no problems so far....
Good luck

Fletch_360

Greenie
Jan 26, 2010
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
I have a few thousand dollars in gift cards that I want to use towards the purchase of a new detector. I planned on turning the gift cards into prepaid visa gift cards. I've heard people are having issues with the cards being rejected. if I link my name and address to the cards I thought I'd have no issues. Yesterday, I spoke with a potential vendor and was told that sometimes the cards go through, and sometimes they don't. I'd hate to purchase the cards and not be able to use them towards my purchase. has anyone used this form of payment with any of the vendors listed on tnet?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread