found a dog today

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own 4 dogs and I like to drive around on my four wheeler and have them follow me for exercise. After driving down about a mile I turned around and headed back home. Once I got to my drive way I saw this place that is being buried. As I was riding up there I looked into the field and I saw what I thought was a coyote and then I saw the redish coat and thought a huge fox. When I stopped to investigate further the animal didn't move when it saw me. I looked over and realized it was a dog, more specifically a golden retriever covered in mud. Once my dogs caught up to me they spotted him and started barking. He became interested and started coming closer. LOng story short I got him to my place by using my dogs to lure him to my place and he is in my garage sleeping.

I called several of my neighbors and they gaveme some leads which I checked out but with no luck. My wife called the town city hall and they took a report in case the owner calls and she also called the sheriffs department and they took a report if someone calls in and they said the only thing they can do is come out and "dispose" of the dog.

I may have a new dog here, lol. He is really friendly and seems to listen well and has the basic training down. My wife also put up a thing on facebook and several people have said they will take him if no one ends up looking for him. People like to dump there animals on farms (alot of people drop off cats out here) thinking they have animals and they wont mind having another animal.

He is kind of my treasure recovered for the day.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck Arn! Nice save.

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O I suppose I should update this. My wife found someone in our town who raises goldens and the women who raised them called all of the people who had boughten any pups. We got a call the very next morning and the owner was here in 5 minutes. It warmed my heart seeing this dog running right up to the owner. So dog and owner were reunited.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up with my Dad who brought every wounded stray animal home (He worked a road crew for the country) It was great always a new dog, cat, bird etc. Like my own private zoo. anyway once he brought a Crow home (Broken wing) He trained that bird so it would come in the house and sleep with the dog. In rhe morning it would get up and head for the door at nite it would be at the rear door and just sit there till he came home. Believe it or not you can teach it to repeat things it hears.

Later on I built a hugh cage for it out side the barn kept it for years till neighbor turned me in to the DNR (Gestapo) and told my Mom their was a 10K fine for keeping a Crow in captivity needless to say Mom opened the cage. Sure missed the look on my neighbors face when he would cr ap on her cloths hanging on her wash line:laughing7:

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up with my Dad who brought every wounded stray animal home (He worked a road crew for the country) It was great always a new dog, cat, bird etc. Like my own private zoo. anyway once he brought a Crow home (Broken wing) He trained that bird so it would come in the house and sleep with the dog. In rhe morning it would get up and head for the door at nite it would be at the rear door and just sit there till he came home. Believe it or not you can teach it to repeat things it hears.

Later on I built a hugh cage for it out side the barn kept it for years till neighbor turned me in to the DNR (Gestapo) and told my Mom their was a 10K fine for keeping a Crow in captivity needless to say Mom opened the cage. Sure missed the look on my neighbors face when he would cr ap on her cloths hanging on her wash line:laughing7:

I would of dropped some seeds (weed) in their yard and waited a month or so and did the same they did...

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a few run in with the DNR as well and one encounter took away my hunting license for a year. I accidently shot a king fisher while teal hunting ( I honestly didn't mean to) and when I went to retrieve the ducks I had shot through out the morning the DNR ranger was on the shore where I just came from. As I was picking up the birds I saw that the one wasn't a duck and I tried to get rid of it under some weeds but it kept floating back up. Well he saw it and asked me to bring it in with the rest. I got a fine for 250 bucks for violating the migratory bird act and shooting a protected species. Oops!

Last year I was fishing and found a baby raccoon in the river clinging to the river bank. I caught him and brought him home, he was really cool for a while then he just didn't want to be held any more. At that time he was big enough so I just let him go.

Does anyone have any advice on raising baby song birds because I find tons of them in my yard from all the nests and I put them back in the nest and if I find them again I try to help them but I can never keep them alive. If I leave them my cats get them so I figure I should try to give them a chance.

H

Holly_squirrel

Nice to see I'm not the only one bringing home every lost or injured animal .

image-3589702467.jpg

This is Edward. He lived in our wood pile. Strangely after a hurricane , the heavy rubber belt covering the wood pile went flying and so did Edward I found him and the tarp across the road . He wasn't moving much , I tried to revive him in a heating pad, but sadly he died:(. I'm scared of snakes, lol, especially big ones... But once you develop a "friendship" with one you see everyday ... I got over it enough to try to save him .

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cute snake, RIP Edward.

I have several friends who are affraid of snakes and I catch them from there places and release them on my farm. I caught a fox snake that was about 3 and a half feet long and kept her for a while until she wouldn't eat any more and I decided to let her go. I used to keep all kinds of things growing up like turtles frogs toads lizards but now I typically catch and release after some photos, thats if they are not big enough to eat.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I raised many an animal in my time.From chipmunks my cats caught to crows to snapping turtles,starlings(pretty intelligent birds)even redtail hawks.The hawk amazed me.I thought it would rip my head off but it didnt even blink when i picked it up.I was riding my bike to work(10 speed)down the secondary highway.The hawk was in the breakdown lane eating a roadkill.A trailer truck went by the hawk,the hawk took off and the wind turbulence from the truck knocked it to the pavement.I rode up and picked the hawk up.It was fully aware,wasnt in shock wasnt hurt..I held it in my arm and rode my bike to work.No struggles or anything from it.Yeah the talons hurt pretty good gripping my fingers and wrist lol.

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago, a tornado hit a small town where my uncle lived and it destroyed half of the town. That night there were several tornadoes that hit our county and neighboring counties and cause alot of damage to farms and wildlife. There were dead ducks everywhere. My friend and I drove to the town to help clean up and we took the back way to look at some of the damaged farms. Whole hog confinments were destroyed with dead pigs everywhere. Saw some dead horses and sheep as well. I found a bunch of snakes that day that I relocated and a few wounded ducks. My cousin found an great blue heron with a broken wing and he put it in the back of his truck and brought it to work. He called the DNR to ask what they wanted him to do with it and they said to let it go because they don't care about birds unless they are raptors. Needless to say my cousin kept him and helped himheal up then let him go.

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RJC thats an awesome story. I have thought about getting into falconry and most newbies start out with redtails. It is alot of work and you need years of practice under a master falconer which there none in my area.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
My brother does the animal rescue thing where he lives Arn.He'll get a call and go get the animal and hold it until he can locate somebody that cares for certain injured animals,or he cares for them himself if he cant locate a person.He's helped geese,fox,eagles,even had a couple of bald eagles.Couldnt do much for one of them,mercury poisoning.Baby deer.He even had a nest full of redtail hawk chicks.cute little things.If you went to touch one,it would roll over onto its back and hold its talons up

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice to see I'm not the only one bringing home every lost or injured animal .

View attachment 757199

This is Edward. He lived in our wood pile. Strangely after a hurricane , the heavy rubber belt covering the wood pile went flying and so did Edward I found him and the tarp across the road . He wasn't moving much , I tried to revive him in a heating pad, but sadly he died:(. I'm scared of snakes, lol, especially big ones... But once you develop a "friendship" with one you see everyday ... I got over it enough to try to save him .

HollySnow you are a brave woman,I can't do snakes,lol! Red James Cash I can see you with a majestic bird.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hollysnow, that snake story was right out of King Kong.

Your attempt to use the heating pad didn't hurt him, Twas beauty that killed the beast :tongue3:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, here's an odd one. When I moved out to my farm 40 some years ago, I converted a Grainery to a home to live in with my wife and daughter. One morn, when I came down the stairs to fix breakfast, I was confronted by two black snakes hanging from a chestnut 8x8 beam, MATEING. Only time I have ever seen snakes mate. You know, they have"tool" just like people. When I left for work they were still at it. My wife, when she came down"much later" said they were gone. Frank

shack 1939 Beauford, S.C._0069.jpg

redstar

Mar 31, 2012
Parkesburg, Pa
Detector(s) used
none, yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story Arno, glad it was someone like you who found him. And good ending.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread