Aquaponics.....who wouldnt want to grow like this?

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One old timer i knew used wash machine motors to circulate water in his bait tanks.

This is 100% true...bait fish will die if they are left to swim on their own....they need water to push against ...like they are going up stream...

Some of the best fish tanks I have ever seen has the most water action...think about it...who lives long now days..just sitting around eating...when back in the 1920's we had to work hard to grow stuff, and work the land...people lived longer back then

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aquaponics is a superb way to grow plants, but it takes a while before folks
can really get the hang of it. One very key tool you will need (IMO) is a digital Ph meter,
as the water must be at the right pH for the plants to thrive.

For those just starting out, I would suggest starting off with a "DWC" type grow. DWC
stands for "Deep Water Culture", and it is about the most efficient way I've ever seen
a plant grow. Healthy and huge fruit in less time than soil growing.

A basic DWC system is very simple to make, as all you need is a tub (18 gal, w/lid).
a aquarium air pump and a couple air stones. Cut a whole in the top of the tub lid
for the plant basket to sit in (mesh basket that holds the plant while it grows), and
then simply fill it with water to within about 1/2" of the bottom of the netbasket. Set
the airstones in the water under the plant, and the small bubbles will *pop* as they
hit the surface, sending tiny droplets of water all over the roots. The roots will just
grow and hang in the tub, enjoying all the oxygen and chow they have ready access to.

Fish poop is a good fertilizer, but it can be very high in nitrogen. Better to use some
kind of proper nutrient, and Cutting Edge makes the lowest cost, high quality liquid fert's
for this type of application, and $30 worth of nutrients would last you a couple years. (you
need Micro, Veg and Bloom).

You want to grow monster tomatoes? Put them in a DWC grow outside, keep the tub filled
with water (of the right Ph!) and the plant will grow like you've never seen..lol

As a long time indoor gardener I've grown plants using just about every method possible,
and while I prefer soil as it's much more forgiving, the DWC systems are very simple and effective.

Great topic!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that aquaponics is a superb way to grow plants, but it takes a while before folks
can really get the hang of it. One very key tool you will need (IMO) is a digital Ph meter,
as the water must be at the right pH for the plants to thrive.

For those just starting out, I would suggest starting off with a "DWC" type grow. DWC
stands for "Deep Water Culture", and it is about the most efficient way I've ever seen
a plant grow. Healthy and huge fruit in less time than soil growing.

A basic DWC system is very simple to make, as all you need is a tub (18 gal, w/lid).
a aquarium air pump and a couple air stones. Cut a whole in the top of the tub lid
for the plant basket to sit in (mesh basket that holds the plant while it grows), and
then simply fill it with water to within about 1/2" of the bottom of the netbasket. Set
the airstones in the water under the plant, and the small bubbles will *pop* as they
hit the surface, sending tiny droplets of water all over the roots. The roots will just
grow and hang in the tub, enjoying all the oxygen and chow they have ready access to.

Fish poop is a good fertilizer, but it can be very high in nitrogen. Better to use some
kind of proper nutrient, and Cutting Edge makes the lowest cost, high quality liquid fert's
for this type of application, and $30 worth of nutrients would last you a couple years. (you
need Micro, Veg and Bloom).

You want to grow monster tomatoes? Put them in a DWC grow outside, keep the tub filled
with water (of the right Ph!) and the plant will grow like you've never seen..lol

As a long time indoor gardener I've grown plants using just about every method possible,
and while I prefer soil as it's much more forgiving, the DWC systems are very simple and effective.

Great topic!

Thank you ...and pretty much what you say is true...I live this and have a long time..I fed my plants in soil with fish poop...when I never heard it was even safe...just seemed good to me...ph is important BUT...unless you are at the very bottum or top of the chart..it will still work even if it is off some 7.0 has NEVER done me wrong and I use rain water...with that said most everything is fine..not 100% top notch but you will get more than you can eat....if this was just hydroponics I would say your spot on 100% but its not...this is a very forgiving way of growing stuff....a lot of people knock what i say on growing veggies and greens this way when I say dont worry about PH...now the people I come across that grow weed...have a lot of issues...gotta get them buds full and big....im not saying thats what you do but ph matters 100% way more with that AND you have to restrict and give other nut. with the flowering/veg cycle....but not growing lettuce and other greens year around..

Im glad you even know what I speak of...but ph is way more forgiving how I do it than many other ways..

Why are you dizzy....LOL....:laughing9:

Im talking long term growing.....I dont have room for all those buckets....wouldn't it be harder to keep all those buckets ph ok ..? you use ph up and down dont you....I dont buy anything..

Here is the 100$ question....with out using a search box can you name what to use naturally to + and - ph naturally?..wink wink

There are MANY , MANY things I am a new born baby to and Crispin and stockpicker will back me on this ....BUT this is NOT one of them..8-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before some one calls me out and ask's why im putting up other pep's videos and nothing about mine...I dont have a video cam worth using to do it any justice till I get my tax's back...when that happens I will get a cam worth using and I will...Iv been waiting on that though and have yet to see it..:laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
+and-ph. I used soda ash at a place i worked to raise ph. Acid to bring it down. Maybe baking soda or lime to sweeten and vinegar to lower?
If water source has a steady ph by adding more volume of it or opening a drain to allow an exchange(yes beware temp changes!)will change it.
Depending on supply ph being higher that reservoir controlled a low ph could be raised. and vice versa.
Never measured but oak bark and acorns might be low on ph,they make soil acedic.
Chunk of oak or grape leave ora little tea wine making adds a touch too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so everyone knows ...here it is 38 degrees and the catfish are so slow you can pet them, and I have today..:laughing7:

I only have some greens going in the winter but now im getting ready for a full season of everything..

I haven't mentioned I buried my 375gal tank 3 foot below the ground to keep it from freezing over in the winter and it worked so far every year...in the water it stays around 40 degrees give or take...and the grow beds are below 8" also to keep water and roots from freezing with the moving water...all is well...when you walk into my greenhouse you have to step down 2' to walk to the tank...the grow beds are along each side while you walk to the main tank...I have a sump tank that everything feeds back into which is a 55gal barrel buried almost all the way to keep the water cool in the summer...are you getting the pic..yet?

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+and-ph. I used soda ash at a place i worked to raise ph. Acid to bring it down. Maybe baking soda or lime to sweeten and vinegar to lower?
If water source has a steady ph by adding more volume of it or opening a drain to allow an exchange(yes beware temp changes!)will change it.
Depending on supply ph being higher that reservoir controlled a low ph could be raised. and vice versa.

Perfect answer....I was waiting for that other dude to say something of the sort to even believe him but he didn't...wood ash is good also and lime is great... THANKS

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great thread, I've learned a ton from you guys reading it and am tempted to give it a shot. Keep it going.

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread, I've learned a ton from you guys reading it and am tempted to give it a shot. Keep it going.

Im am bleeding info as we speak....what else you want to know...I double wrap my green house with 6mil just to keep it from sweating in the changing seasons...I use ceder planks, oak lasts but warps bad... for all shelves that do hold dirt pots with odd things I grow out of my flow beds...just ask, my friend

I truly dont know what you need to know....please ask....:tongue3:

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Your right,i forgot about wood ash. Basis for making lye for soap. A pinch in corn pone gives a little gain in nutrition too. No i have not had pone for a long time.
Ashes on the garden. Dang. now you got my memory started.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Blue,do you use natural lite(priced right) or electric? And do you stagger start times for same type crops or change what's being grown depending on season?

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a harbor freight misting system strung at the top of the greenhouse for humidity on a timer that sprays 2 min....every 4 hours in the hot months...just to keep it liveable...I also have a automatic arm that opens a vent on the back of the greenhouse when temps get to 86 degrees and closed at around 60 degreese on its own...this is great for the bees and butterfliy's I need for the peppers..LOL

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right,i forgot about wood ash. Basis for making lye for soap. A pinch in corn pone gives a little gain in nutrition too. No i have not had pone for a long time.
Ashes on the garden. Dang. now you got my memory started.

Brother I live from the ground....im not making this stuff up..:laughing7:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im am bleeding info as we speak....what else you want to know...I double wrap my green house with 6mil just to keep it from sweating in the changing seasons...I use ceder planks, oak lasts but warps bad... for all shelves that do hold dirt pots with odd things I grow out of my flow beds...just ask, my friend

I truly dont know what you need to know....please ask....:tongue3:

Think it would work in MA with our cold weather?

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blue,do you use natural lite(priced right) or electric? And do you stagger start times for same type crops or change what's being grown depending on season?

OK...in my house I use LED...member I said I have a 75gal tank..well im not buying filters for that..LOL...outdoor is only the sun

If you use HID and that other lighting im trying to think of it wont be cheap in doors.....but I can show you LED that only use a few cents a day

Weed growers need HID lights...LOL you know the things that nipsco can see your using....:laughing9:

Last edited:
OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think it would work in MA with our cold weather?
...100% yes ...BUT...got to get fish from the area like I had to and during any month with less than 65 degrees your stuck with growing greens ..also is this sheltered? greenhouse ...or tanks out in the open or in your house...

I edit a lot...im typing fast and I spell like I talk...keep in mind 10th grade...please

So please go back and reread....I change things that dont make since to even me...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend down the road uses "bio balls"in his water system for his ponds,and some kind of u.v. lite or something to keep algae down. Awful fancy for me but nice ponds.

Sounds like a great set up you have,i like the auto damper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread