Aquaponics.....who wouldnt want to grow like this?

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...100% yes ...BUT...got to get fish from the area like I had to and during any month with less that 65 degrees you stuck with growing greens ..also is this sheltered? greenhouse ...or tanks out in the open or in your house...

Nothing exists yet but I'm clearing my back lot so will have a lot of room for animals and other stuff. Also planned on digging a pond.

You ever read homepower magazine?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
<snip>
Im glad you even know what I speak of...but ph is way more forgiving how I do it than many other ways..

Why are you dizzy....LOL....:laughing9:

Bi-Lateral Meniere's Disease. Many aren't familiar with it, but in essence it destroys your inner ears,
the vestibular nerve (ear to brain connection) and causes severe dizziness, severe sudden-onset vertigo and
a few other real unpleasant things, and dizzy is about the least irritating of them all. I have to live with it, but
I refuse to let it stop me from living my life. Some things just take me longer, that's all. (see signature)

I'm talking long term growing.....I don't have room for all those buckets....wouldn't it be harder to keep all those
buckets ph ok ..? you use ph up and down dont you....I dont buy anything..

Here is the 100$ question....with out using a search box can you name what to use naturally to + and - ph naturally?..wink wink

I've always used vinegar and baking soda as alternatives, although the bottled stuff is much more efficient,
but in a pinch those 2 will always get the job done.

Hope you understood that I was simply showing an alternative way to grow a couple tomato plants, as
I think your concept is outstanding!

Since I live so far in the Pac. NW, our "Summer" can be rather short, so it's tough at times to get a
tomato plant really producing well. Last Fall I decided to just bring 'em inside the house, and built a small
indoor garden area with a small table, ebb/flo tray and a light fixture above. Had planned to use a 400W HPS
in there, but the ballast needed rebuilt, so instead I mounted 3 CFL's in an air-cooled hood to "hold them"
till I got the 400W going. Well, the plants did so well under those three little CFL's that I never bothered
to put the 400 HPS back in! They get 16 hrs. of light a day, and believe it or not those 2 plants
are STILL looking very green and healthy, and the wife picks 4-5 fresh tomato's off them a week...8-)

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend down the road uses "bio balls"in his water system for his ponds,and some kind of u.v. lite or something to keep algae down. Awful fancy for me but nice ponds.

Sounds like a great set up you have,i like the auto damper.

OK bio balls are the bomb...better than window screen bunched up with rubber bands...but that is for biological filtering...which you dont need for this set up...the plants roots do that...but for just a pond and a fish tank..yes that is kick butt..

Thank you again...my friend.

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing exists yet but I'm clearing my back lot so will have a lot of room for animals and other stuff. Also planned on digging a pond.

You ever read homepower magazine?

Sounds like a good place for a few chickens and a rabbit hutch....pound is great...big fish long term...and run the water into all things from then on...water garden..grow beds water falls..get the wife evolved..after your done .....she will make it look neat after the fact...LOL

and no on that mag.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bi-Lateral Meniere's Disease. Many aren't familiar with it, but in essence it destroys your inner ears,
the vestibular nerve (ear to brain connection) and causes severe dizziness, severe sudden-onset vertigo and
a few other real unpleasant things, and dizzy is about the least irritating of them all. I have to live with it, but
I refuse to let it stop me from living my life. Some things just take me longer, that's all. (see signature)

I've always used vinegar and baking soda as alternatives, although the bottled stuff is much more efficient,
but in a pinch those 2 will always get the job done.

Hope you understood that I was simply showing an alternative way to grow a couple tomato plants, as
I think your concept is outstanding!

Since I live so far in the Pac. NW, our "Summer" can be rather short, so it's tough at times to get a
tomato plant really producing well. Last Fall I decided to just bring 'em inside the house, and built a small
indoor garden area with a small table, ebb/flo tray and a light fixture above. Had planned to use a 400W HPS
in there, but the ballast needed rebuilt, so instead I mounted 3 CFL's in an air-cooled hood to "hold them"
till I got the 400W going. Well, the plants did so well under those three little CFL's that I never bothered
to put the 400 HPS back in! They get 16 hrs. of light a day, and believe it or not those 2 plants
are STILL looking very green and healthy, and the wife picks 4-5 fresh tomato's off them a week...8-)

Right on....sorry if I worded anything that seemed, like I was pissy....I was just saying..LOL

CLF's are good but my converters dont like kicking them on...I have used those on my nipsco electric but im about done with all that...but you are 100 % right...the most part

I use LED's in the house...and everything here is 12 volt as much as I can...

I am sorry about your issue..never ment to make a funny of that in any way...sorta sounded like you grew weed....which I did a few times just for the cash but it wasnt worth it ....

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just so everyone knows ...here it is 38 degrees and the catfish are so slow you can pet them, and I have today..:laughing7:

I only have some greens going in the winter but now im getting ready for a full season of everything..

I haven't mentioned I buried my 375gal tank 3 foot below the ground to keep it from freezing over in the winter and it worked so far every year...in the water it stays around 40 degrees give or take...and the grow beds are below 8" also to keep water and roots from freezing with the moving water...all is well...when you walk into my greenhouse you have to step down 2' to walk to the tank...the grow beds are along each side while you walk to the main tank...I have a sump tank that everything feeds back into which is a 55gal barrel buried almost all the way to keep the water cool in the summer...are you getting the pic..yet?

How many folks live around you?

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many folks live around you?

I have neighbors on both sides...one has dogs that bark 24/7 and the other receive greens and veggies from me for keeping an eye on my place when I do go to town.. ...why do you ask?

LOL...you thinking that hillbilly redneck thing..and my yard is all tore up with chickens running wild aren't you...:headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My yard is all chain-link..with 6 foot wood privacy fence added to it all around...you have to make a point to look in my yard...LOL

If that happens, your gonna ask about the wind turbine and CB/HAM antenna tower...or my wonderful dogs which are PITS....yes I said pits

I even have kids..OMG

Last edited:
OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANYWAY...back to the fish and plants....

Ask anything that would help put this together for you....

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just to awesome!!! Thanks for sharing,I think that i`ve found a new hobby for myself,See how it plays out beyond that.Thanks a million for this post,I really enjoyed it!

Thanks,John

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just to awesome!!! Thanks for sharing,I think that i`ve found a new hobby for myself,See how it plays out beyond that.Thanks a million for this post,I really enjoyed it!

Thanks,John

Thats what it is all about....hope it works for you...and thank you...God be with you

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a good place for a few chickens and a rabbit hutch....pound is great...big fish long term...and run the water into all things from then on...water garden..grow beds water falls..get the wife evolved..after your done .....she will make it look neat after the fact...LOL

and no on that mag.

You should check it out online - good stuff for independent living.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have neighbors on both sides...one has dogs that bark 24/7 and the other receive greens and veggies from me for keeping an eye on my place when I do go to town.. ...why do you ask?

Fine country folks for neighbors,when I lived on Cosby Tennessee in the Great Smokey's it was sure nice my neighbors watched when ever I was gone,a little neighborly thing,man I miss them Mountains,piss off the porch,shoot my guns off the porch grow weed off the porch,ooh sorry,shouldn't of told you that.

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should check it out online - good stuff for independent living.

Will do...not to sound close minded but if I don't think it up ....it doesn't seem to turn out like I want...:tongue3:

Oh and one more thing...I live so close to TOWN...I can not discharge a weapon in my yard with out breaking laws...now that gets you thinking ...RIGHT..

I hunt on my parents property that is only 8 miles away...if you wanna take a road...crow fly's 6 miles....thats a good jog with a 223 on your back...:laughing7:

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

LOL...you thinking that hillbilly redneck thing..and my yard is all tore up with chickens running wild aren't you...:headbang:

Nah,Just a countrified man,I know you got chickens.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
My yard is all chain-link..with 6 foot wood privacy fence added to it all around...you have to make a point to look in my yard...LOL

If that happens, your gonna ask about the wind turbine and CB/HAM antenna tower...or my wonderful dogs which are PITS....yes I said pits

I even have kids..OMG

CB/HAM tower?What you got for a rig?

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine country folks for neighbors,when I lived on Cosby Tennessee in the Great Smokey's it was sure nice my neighbors watched when ever I was gone,a little neighborly thing,man I miss them Mountains,piss off the porch,shoot my guns off the porch grow weed off the porch,ooh sorry,shouldn't of told you that.

I wish I could do all that...they are trying to make where I am incorporated though...which then id be screwed..but im at every town meeting...saying I drink my water from a well and have a septic tank...then they shake their head and start their dribble...LOL

OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
2nd ex wife got my homestead,with my version of custom chicken house.
Where i am now i can shoot but need a variance for chickens. I,m sure my neighbors would not object,if they want road and drives plowed again next year.
In my late teens i rented a hundred year old farm. Raised hogs,rabbits,asparagus,blackberries. Boarded one horse and ex had another.
Get stuff set up to well something happens i guess,but wouldn,t have missed it. Scratchin in the dirt is still good for the soul. Planted pole beans three times year before last. Same skinny rabbit got them each time. Offered plenty of shot opportunities but left him be. When i quit replanting an owl got him. Ahh well. We have 26 dogs,neighbors allright with it far as they know.
Blue if they change zoning or ordinances it would seem you should be grandfathered in so you can continue operations but if you sell it becomes current. Going to depend on local stuff but when you are involved it can be pressed as a requirement to pass new stuff?.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B1u3Dr4g0n1

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CB/HAM tower?What you got for a rig?

That is a whole new thread...and it will be ( My communications survival shack)...ill throw you a bone though..a yaesu ft-1000d

I can guanentee you have heard my call #'s if your active but I will never post them on here...i dont know why its just me...

I have a 1800 watt kicker S.O.S. tube type just for my cb base...thats a ranger 2980...lol and only 10 meter...we will talk about ham later my friend

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions