Primary Interest:
Other

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The wind is blowing the sails forward and the smoke from the stack back, impossible! The Cat is right. Frank

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jacobsen was a stickler for detail; he would even find the ship plans and work off them so as not to make a mistake.
I believe the vessel is either (titled) "The Devon at Sea" or "The Hermann outbound to New York".
How about posting another pic of another vessel so that we might spot the mistake??
Don.....

OP
OP
Critical Recovery

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jacobsen was a stickler for detail; he would even find the ship plans and work off them so as not to make a mistake.
I believe the vessel is either (titled) "The Devon at Sea" or "The Hermann outbound to New York".
How about posting another pic of another vessel so that we might spot the mistake??
Don.....

The vessel is perfect.
But the way he painted it makes it look like the wind was blowing in more than one direction at the same time.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tsk. tsk. tsk. Maybe no one ever took the time to read Newton's Law of Motion :laughing7:

The picture is right.. Don't make me dig up Netwon to straighten you guys out either :tongue3:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
For the sails to be that way the ship would have to be travelling faster than the wind's blowing for the flags and smoke to be in the direction they are. It also has a US flag and a Canadian flag (far right), which i find odd, unless it's a "Great lakes" thing?
The name on the bow appears to be "Critic" or something.....apt.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not a sailor yet but as I understand sailboats, they go faster than the wind by zigzag through the water. I know it's probably not called zigzag. and catching the trade winds and currents. There must be a sailor here somewhere.

Here's on for ya.

OP
OP
Critical Recovery

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a sailor yet but as I understand sailboats, they go faster than the wind by zigzag through the water. I know it's probably not called zigzag. and catching the trade winds and currents.

yeah, it's called tacking.
It is used to take advantage of the wind, and sometimes you can move damn near against it.
But not as much as is portrayed in the painting.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which law? There are several.

There are 3 laws, the 1st one doesn't count

Example: Drive in your car with a wind of 10mph behind you, you are driving at 40mph, and toss out a cigarette butt. Will the cigarette, go ahead of you, or behind you.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not a sailboat sailor, but it looks to me like the ship is kind of on a port tack, sailing almost into the wind. I was told one time, long ago that sailing on a tack into the wind the wind was coming out of the sails much like air out of a balloon. i will freely admit that my remarks are nothing more than a SWAG.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 3 laws, the 1st one doesn't count

Example: Drive in your car with a wind of 10mph behind you, you are driving at 40mph, and toss out a cigarette butt. Will the cigarette, go ahead of you, or behind you.
What about a fly inside your car that's doing 60 mph If it takes to flight will it hit the rear window. Can't smoke in a liberal state so I don't know:laughing7:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No white caps or spray on the waves that are circular or seem to form a bowl in front left. Or maybe it is like you are looking thru the wave in the front?

Last edited:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
nothing technical. It's "poetic licence". Showing the sails blowing inside out in the same direction as the flags would make the pic' look even more stoopid!

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definetly two ships- the sails on the ship to the left are on a square sail schooner on the starboard side of the other which is a steam turbine with sail assist. IMHO. I wish I could get the posted pic. to magnify to full screen or be able to mouse over it and make it bigger. Hard to say but thats my guess. yelnif...

I only see one...never seen two tied together like that.., it is weird with 3 different flags though..

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
Looking again, my first comment said it was a Canadian flag, while it's actually a "Red Ensign" of the "British Merchant Navy"........which makes it even more curious!!

VanitysBaby

Oct 14, 2008
Bangor, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antonio Jacobsen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is an interesting wiki on the artist. Antonio Nicolo Gasparo Jacobsen (November 2, 1850 – February 2, 1921) was a Danish-born American maritime artist known as the "Audubon of Steam Vessels"

not the painting in question but...
"On February 19, 2006, Fetching The Mark, an unsigned painting of the racing yacht Dreadnought attributed to Jacobsen, was sold at auction for $281,000, more than triple the highest price previously paid for one of Jacobsen's works. The piece had been brought to an Antiques Road Show event in Tampa, Florida, and had originally been thought to be a work of Jacobsen's contemporary James E. Buttersworth, until further research led to a conclusion that it was by Jacobsen."

He may have taken some liberty with reality but these paintings can still be considered treasures :)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Heres a little game for everybody.This picture was painted by a famous artist and,also a very infamous person.We're not looking for a mistake in it.Just the name of the artist as well as his infamous name.

1545096-rip23.jpg

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread