Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aside from the Ducks that choose their choice.... LOL... I have recently talked to a friend in regards to this topic. He relayed that regular black pepper will have a significant effect in deterring the resident wildlife.

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah and the peacocks attacked our ducklings when our ducks had them on their own... I think one died and we stopped them and kept the other in the house till it was larger... Peacock feathers are a plus though, and has anyone else had a problem with male ducks humping anything it can catch? Like peacocks(it's king of funny when it gets on the tail and the peacock runs around with it :P) and one time it almost humped an elderly rooster to death! The things crazy....

My ducks would only hump other ducks but my geese will hump anything. I may stay away from peacocks at least until I have a better setup. Thanks for your knowledge.

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aside from the Ducks that choose their choice.... LOL... I have recently talked to a friend in regards to this topic. He relayed that regular black pepper will have a significant effect in deterring the resident wildlife.

That is a good idea. I poured some cayan pepper in my gardens to help keep my dogs out. Black pepper should work well.

mcpsbus53

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2013
Christiansburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350 Garrett AT PRO Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bovans buy them from souther states they're 22 weeks old at time of purchase and most times are laying within a few days easy to work with (tame) and hardy they will lay an average 290 eggs a year.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1108.JPG JoePic4.jpg nittany_12_27_09.jpg is that a rabbit.JPG

Saturday is the last Pheasant hunt of the season for me. My uncle and I have a small shooting preserve, and the last of 750 birds are going Saturday.

We used to raise them from eggs when we did over 2,000 birds years ago, but now we buy them full grown in early December.

I have a nephew to help on the big hunts, catch, release, clean, but I have done about 400 solo.....and I've seen enough bird guts for a while.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Chili Pepper has more of a "bite"... shoulda heard the deer SNORTING, etc, after biting my outside plants years ago; NO MORE problems after THAT! LOL!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Our ducks hump the chickens. Offspring would be Chucks??

It's the "Spring thing", ya know... I COULD "tell" ya a REAL, TRUE story about 2 Beagle Hounds (M/F), lots of howling & wailing, hollaring from my dad... and a bucket of COLD water... BUT!

Last edited:
OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the "Spring thing", ya know... I COULD "tell" ya a REAL, TRUE story about 2 Beagle Hounds (M/F), lots of howling & wailing, hollaring from my dad... and a bucket of COLD water... BUT!

That happened to my dogs a couple years ago and I scared them and they pulled apart from being locked together and my boy dog was bleeding all over "Jack is bleeding all over the place" I told my wife, she asked why I said "He broke his dick!" By the time the towel was out he was woozie and layed down on my lap. We both looked at each other and said if he dies atleast it was this way, he had fun on the way out, it would be a good death. We cleaned him up a bit and his red rocket went back in and the bleeding stopped and he was fine.

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My geese lay tons of eggs each season and I cant keep up with them. The first year I incubated a few goose eggs and they all hatched same with the duck eggs. I tried letting them do it them selves but they dont seem to be able to do it well. I am just going to let them do there thing and Iwill eat a few eggs but hopefully they can do it this year. I have incubated ducks eggs with success but last year my incubator was off by a few degrees and all my eggs died. I just have a cheap styrofome one but if I keep raising them and start sellling them then I will invest in a big machine one that does everything.

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to geese humping everything, they like to do it in my water tank that I use for a pond. Well if the ducks are in there they try to mate with them and when they mate in the tank it seems like they are going to drowned the bird they are on so if it is a duck I have to through the goose off.

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My geese lay tons of eggs each season and I cant keep up with them. The first year I incubated a few goose eggs and they all hatched same with the duck eggs. I tried letting them do it them selves but they dont seem to be able to do it well. I am just going to let them do there thing and Iwill eat a few eggs but hopefully they can do it this year. I have incubated ducks eggs with success but last year my incubator was off by a few degrees and all my eggs died. I just have a cheap styrofome one but if I keep raising them and start sellling them then I will invest in a big machine one that does everything.

Yeah we just have a cheap one too but my bros the one that keeps all the humidity and stuff right I think if I tried I might mess it up...

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are fairly expensive but if you want more hatching and less chance of human error they are the way to go.

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good rule of thumb is if you have problems with cats use fox urine around everything, if you have problems with fox, raccoon or bobcat use coyote urine around everything, if you have issues with coyote use wolf or bear urine if you can find it cheap...lol

Mink and weasle...dont give a dam about any of it though...but are leary of our urine, but it wont stop them if they can see a chicken...:BangHead:

Last edited:
OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up a big black rooster from my friend who needed to get rid of it. So now I atleast have one chicken. LOL. My wife is determined to try things her way this year with the chicken coop and fence. She has some good ideas but I would never admit that to her, just kidding. I will try all of your guys advices thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread