Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The last two dozen birds I butchered, were skinned. So much easier.
My mother, raised on a farm, slightly complained they were skinless birds when I gave my folks a couple.
Almost all my birds ended up in the crock pot and in soups, (through the winter) even though they were tender and young.
The only advantage that I see in skinning, is to retain moisture when broiling or grilling.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me ask you a question, What is the reason for keeping the skin on the birds? The reason I ask is because I have plucked and burned the pin feathers off but then one day I was frustrated and just slit it like a deer and skinned a goose. This way was so much simpler and alot less time consuming. my wife does not particularly like the skin and I could take it or leave it.

With the chicken, it is no problem of course: and we do like the skin... Ducks and geese?... well, I guess it is the 'traditional' aspect of the processing. To be fair, we have skinned them after a go-round with trying to pluck them. It might be me, but I did not really care for the taste of them.If I were to do geese and ducks again [not likely, but one never knows], I would skin them.

On an unrelated note...Just got back from a quad ride... saw where I am going elk hunting this year. There is sign everywhere And only 10 minutes from my house...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The urinating thing is not a problem, I pee all over my farm. The dogs love to make the pen as well. I have heard about hair before for gardens to get rid of rabbits and deer. I will refresh my sent once the snow melts. Thanks man.

Yes, I don't pee in the toilet at my farm! That's what the outdoors are made for! And, my friend, that is FREEDOM!!!

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love just walking out the door and releaving my self.

Bart good luck hunting this fall, That is awesome it is real close. I have to go a ways away to deer hunt each year, it would be nice to do it right in my area.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Chicken cooked with the skin will be better. Seems the skin/fat bastes the bird. You can always remove it.

Arnofarrell: You might not be able to releave yourself outdoors in the future. In Michigan seems there was a move to equate releaving with exposing and qualifying as a $ex act. Even though the exposure is for two very different functions and arguably can't be performed simultaneously.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love just walking out the door and releaving my self.

Bart good luck hunting this fall, That is awesome it is real close. I have to go a ways away to deer hunt each year, it would be nice to do it right in my area.

Many thanks Arno:

My deer hunting usually consists of putting a rifle out the window, or stepping out the door, and taking one out of the front field!! At least that is how we get our whitetail every year. A mulie ... we go up into the hills above the farm. The elk are an exciting thought though. I have had them wander through my fields .. but that is when they are out of season. And they always manage to tear part of my fencing down when they do it! At least now I know where they go during hunting season.

Take care

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with ya there, just make sure you are peeing on your own property!
The reason I mention this is, is because just last week an 82 year old guy here was arrested for urinating on residential property, while he was out door-to-door placing school bond fliers. The guy had a prostate condition.
Sorry this is a bit off-topic.

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I butchered a few chickens the other day which is always fun. I have kind of an update though on my chickens and other fowl. My geese hatched a few of there own eggs in july, they sure are cute little guys. I woke up today and went out for a cigerette and saw my neighbors dog back by my coop with a chicken in his mouth. I yelled at him and I went in for my gun. I went out to the coop and all the birds were gone. he killed a bunch of birds, I am still not a hundred percent sure how many because they are still coming in from the corn field where they fled to. So far from my estimates it is some where around 12 hens and a baby goose. He left 8 hens and 5 roosters, 3 of the hens are exotics and are not good egg producers. He also left all my ducks.

After I checked the coop I followed the heavily traveled between our two farms our dogs have created. As I was walking I was looking at the ground and there were feathers all along the trail leading to my neighbors place.

I have never had a problem with this dog before, he has been here many times before and has always minded my birds. I am not sure what to do, what I mean by that is my wife called the neighbors and left a message and we are waiting for a call back. Should I demand compensation? Alot of those birds I had bought recently as full grown birds off CL that were already laying and they are not that cheap. Need some advice.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get compensated. If it doesn't cost your neighbor anything he won't have any reason to control his dog and you'll end up with the same thing happening again. The dog has tasted blood now and will be back. Around here we pay an average of $15 for a pullet close to laying age. Can get some for $10 once in a while. The man owes you fair and square and should pay up. If the man's kid came over and broke your window he'd have to pay, no difference here. I'd let him know that his dog is no longer welcome and is at risk coming on your property. One of my son's dogs came on another son's property and killed 23 chickens that were laying eggs like crazy. My son paid up.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AF, I am so sorry you lost some chicks and birds. Usually a well fed dog won't hunt, but that instinct can always come back, pb is right, he's tasted that blood now.......
I hope you are able to be civil with your neighbor, and he/she will in return be civil with you. If not, it would be a shame that his dog could be mistaken for a fox and taken out. I do hope cool, collected, and rationale understandings, will come from this incident for you both. Good luck and keep us posted.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would gather up the dead birds and pay him a civil visit. Chances are the visual aid may help him come to the right decision which is compensation.

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His dog is a red color and could be mistaken as a large fox.... My neighbor still hasn't got back to us. After letting things settle down the birds have been coming back so I haven't lost as many as previously thought but as of know there is still 5 missing and the goose.

My neighbor and I have always got along, his dogs have always come over and hung out with my dogs and vise versa. They had 2 dogs, a lab and golden retiever mix. ( the golden is the problem now) 2 years ago there lab knocked up my 2 labs and I had 16 puppies running around. Then there lab died right after the last litter was born and I gave there son a puppy.

I guess we will see what happens..

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
His dog is a red color and could be mistaken as a large fox.... My neighbor still hasn't got back to us. After letting things settle down the birds have been coming back so I haven't lost as many as previously thought but as of know there is still 5 missing and the goose.

My neighbor and I have always got along, his dogs have always come over and hung out with my dogs and vise versa. They had 2 dogs, a lab and golden retiever mix. ( the golden is the problem now) 2 years ago there lab knocked up my 2 labs and I had 16 puppies running around. Then there lab died right after the last litter was born and I gave there son a puppy.

I guess we will see what happens..

I hope that it works out for the best in the end Arno, check the area for any tracks other than that of the dogs just to be sure.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an American Indian friend that told me that, if you burn some chicken feathers and force the dog to eat them, it won't kill anymore chickens. I also heard that you can tie a dead chicken around the dogs neck for a few days and he'll stop. Not sure if either remedy is true but it's fun to spread it around. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread