Ordered chicks today

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered a 55 chicks today from a place in Missouri. I also ordered 5 turkeys and 15 ducks. Last season was bad for me with my new dog killing chickens and ducks and then once he was "fixed" of that the predators moved in and finished off all my ducks, guineas and chickens. I still have 9 geese that nothing wants to mess with it seems like and I am glad.

The chickens I ordered are a few traditional ones like 15 Rhode Island reds and 15 New Hampshire reds but I also bought a variety of Cochins. I ordered Partridge, Buff Orphington, black, splash and goldens, 5 of each breed. Cochins are a very nice breed that doesn't mind being held and is very gentle, that is why I got them for my daughter and wife. My wife fell in love with a Cochin she named big mama that I bought on Craigslist and she was sad when she disappeared (probably eaten), so I had to get her some more.

I have ordered turkeys in the past but have never had good luck with them. This time I ordered Narragansett turkeys that are big birds and can take care of themselves and also reproduce on there own (unlike some other breeds that have been bred to be so heavy they can't breed naturally).

The ducks I ordered are some of my favorites (i just like ducks). I ordered some Cayugas, Rouens, and Welsh Harliquens (my fav), 5 of each.

What doe you guys like to raise?

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not currently raise any animals for harvesting. My good friend does raise chickens and the only thing that he swears by, is to bury the Chicken Wire at least 2 feet below ground level and anchor it appropriately. Best of luck.

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one of my plans this spring. I had been focusing on the height of the fence because my digs would jump it even when it was 5 feet. So this year I will focus on the fence below ground. I actually had an idea of welding some rerod to a "t" fence post so it looks like a comb. The rerod would be 18 inches long and every 2 inches and then pound it into the ground horizontally so the "comb" part will be in the ground 18 inches. Just an idea.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My buddy used hay wire to fasten old 2x4's to the bottom of his buried fence line in order for predators to dig under the fence instead of pulling it up from the ground.

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good idea. At the moment my fences are weighed down by a fence post layed on the ground and zip tied to the fence. It doesnt protect from digging predators but it stopped my dogs.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lay some human hair and some of your urine under that fence line before you lay it. Have any of your dogs urinate on the fence line for extra good measure, all should be well after that. Once a strong scent pattern is established on a perimeter the threat from predators should be negated substantially. I'm not BSing you in any way. Peace.

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The urinating thing is not a problem, I pee all over my farm. The dogs love to make the pen as well. I have heard about hair before for gardens to get rid of rabbits and deer. I will refresh my sent once the snow melts. Thanks man.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Lay some human hair and some of your urine under that fence line before you lay it. Have any of your dogs urinate on the fence line for extra good measure, all should be well after that. Once a strong scent pattern is established on a perimeter the threat from predators should be negated substantially. I'm not BSing you in any way. Peace.

Buy cheap bottles of YELLOW Ammonia; pour it on "fence line"... worked for ME!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've raised birds for 12 years now. I've basically built a fortress for the hens, the varmints are bad here, the most trouble are the wild mink. If there is a way to get in, mink will. No problems last five years with critters getting into the coop, but the free-ranging days are over, as last late winter a red fox hit the hens in the front yard in the middle of the day. Looked like a bomb went off in the yard, feathers scattered from one end to the other. I drove up coming back from town, wily ran to the corner of the house and sat down as I went in for the rifle. When I came out, he was gone. Now the hens have to be supervised when out.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Last year I put the month-old chicks in a rabit hutch that sits over 4-feet high, and has quarter-inch mesh screen for a bottom. Bad idea. Coons came in overnite, and chewed the toes off many of the chicks...they are all doing good now, there's Stubby, Two-toes, Limpy...I set out live traps and Connibears and caught coons and possums every morning for over a week, until I tired of it.
Two years ago, I raised Cornish-rock hybrids. These birds grow so heavy so fast, it's unbelievable. 12-pound birds in a matter of weeks! They are chest-heavy, and they will break legs and have heart issues at times. I lost only one bird to this. They are eating machines let me tell you. I had to butcher them myself, but my wife and kids think they are great on the dinner table!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to raise Lady Amherst, and Golden Pheasants, Peacocks, and Quail. I would like to get back into it again, now the I have more room.

All the wire mesh to my pens was buried a foot deep, and also a foot out away from the pen. So when any predator that dug down, they would be unable to dig under.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAMN ROOSTER

KENNY & CHRIS 001.JPG ----This is our pet rooster kenny scareing the sh-- out of my wife. kenny is a free range, follows me and the kids around outside like a dog. Our kids thought his name was damn---wife was always saying damn rooster-lol---kenny dosnt play well with our bird dog in pic 2-- kenny r 005.JPG --:occasion14:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
All the roosters we've ever owned have all been given three chances...we've gone thru a lot of roosters!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I raise Gamefowl.......

OP
OP
arnofarrell

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger- what kind of game fowl? I have been thinking of raising ringneck pheasants, melanistic pheasants and bobwhite quail to release on my property. I have heard most do not survive once released. Any ideas?

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family Owns peacocks but the problem with them is they would go to the neighbors house and scratch the car and such,our hens are free-range and don't do this though... As for the critters we have a barn which the chickens roost in the rafters :) we also have ducks and an emu...

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah and the peacocks attacked our ducklings when our ducks had them on their own... I think one died and we stopped them and kept the other in the house till it was larger... Peacock feathers are a plus though, and has anyone else had a problem with male ducks humping anything it can catch? Like peacocks(it's king of funny when it gets on the tail and the peacock runs around with it :P) and one time it almost humped an elderly rooster to death! The things crazy....

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Oh yeah and the peacocks attacked our ducklings when our ducks had them on their own... I think one died and we stopped them and kept the other in the house till it was larger... Peacock feathers are a plus though, and has anyone else had a problem with male ducks humping anything it can catch? Like peacocks(it's king of funny when it gets on the tail and the peacock runs around with it :P) and one time it almost humped an elderly rooster to death! The things crazy....

LOL! ROFL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions