Anyone here an expert on Cherokee history?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
What was the effect of the reservations on the Cherokee during the Great Depression?

I need to answer this for school, and thought that there are some Cherokees on here most likely, who can provide me with some stories or sources that are trustworthy, and not biased.

It would be great if you could answer this pretty quickly (within a couple days), so that I have time to read through any sources.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I'll stick my name on this to try help you out. My name usually draws people in lol...many of them of native descent. Best of luck. :)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Depends on WHAT "Band" of Cherokee; Eastern "Band" is in N.C.; Western "Band" is in OK; there is another "Band" in between 'em... AND! We have the BUFFALO RIDGE Cherokee Nation, here in Amherst County, Va. To MY knowledge, ONLY the Eastern "Band" in NC has a REZ; contact them... USUALLY, Cherokee ppl intergrated/were assimilated into surrounding populations; as an example, in Virginia... Buffalo Ridge Cherokee were MOSTLY of the BLACK population... "Google" Buffalo Ridge Cherokee in Virginia. Wife & I went to one of their churches, several times... copper-skin Cherokee, "Black" Cherokee; some lighter skin Cherokee; NO REZ... just a community, in the mountains.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Check out Qualla Cherokee Reservation in Cherokee, NC; Been there! NICE!

Last edited:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Pay no attention to Dano . He is a stateless person with vague recollections of his origins and no clue of the tribal nuances involved here in the states in search of answers to your question . The Cherokee in my area had assimilated and intermarried into various communities in my area well before the 1930's . Everyone was wading through the same pile of crap during those times .

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Even me helping the kid try to do his schoolwork upsets you truckin'? Such vitriol. No doubt your amazing contribution on the subject will garner him an A+ though. :)

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee, there's a logical answer without even asking anyone.......
The Natives were poor and starving on their reservations before the Great Depression and after.
So the answer is.......

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
Gee, there's a logical answer without even asking anyone.......
The Natives were poor and starving on their reservations before the Great Depression and after.
So the answer is.......

Everyone knows that Muddy. Unfortunately schoolteachers won't take such a simple answer when they've set an essay to write! Sagi' is only 14 maybe 15 years old now....he's asking for help in a bit of detail.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
North Carolina During the Great Depression: A Documentary Portrait of a Decade - Google Books

The Cherokee Nation: A History - Robert J. Conley - Google Books

Some have referred to the depression years as the time of the second "Trail Of Tears"

I hope these links help to get you started on your paper. LOL Now get off of the coin forums and go finish your homework.:laughing7:

Start at around page 204 on the second link.:icon_thumleft:

Thanks. I will look over those soon. I am not actually writing a paper, but will have to present this creatively for the 9th of April, so I still have time (I'm working in a group).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions