worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the reply hvacker. I love working with steel, I always enjoy welding (stick and mig), plasma cutting, torches and the like. I am not certified but if I can find the time this next year I will try to become certified. In and around my shop I have saved "useful" pieces of scrap metal from projects, you never know when they might come in handy! LOL! Sometimes at 3 am. scrap metal can bail you out of a tough spot when something breaks. I love fabricating and reusing an item for another use.

Coal is still readily available around here and coal stoves seem to be making somewhat of a come back to.

You're a man after my own heart,if it breaks,FIX it! I've always been a fixer,heck,I worked At Pratt&Whitney for 27 years as a machine repair tech.I can fix anything,tis a good skill to have.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
You're a man after my own heart,if it breaks,FIX it! I've always been a fixer,heck,I worked At Pratt&Whitney for 27 years as a machine repair tech.I can fix anything,tis a good skill to have.

Like Red Green says, If women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the link hvacker, I have most of the forge cleaned up and painted I hope to finish it up either this weekend or early next week as time allows. I will post pictures as soon as it is all back together. Now I just need a anvil.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Thanks for the link hvacker, I have most of the forge cleaned up and painted I hope to finish it up either this weekend or early next week as time allows. I will post pictures as soon as it is all back together. Now I just need a anvil.
Well , you also ought to have a tool iron that that Buffalo Forge tuyre would fit in . I happen to have one that might be available .
Grizzly is a good source for anvils and other forging tools for a novice . Antique shops and a resurgence of interest in smithing has driven the price of smithing tools out of the realm of the hobbiest .
You don't need to be fancy to start . Hunk of metal and some kind of fire to get it to at least yellow heat . Sompin to hold that hot stuff , sompin to beat it with , and sompin hard to beat it on . That and getting in your mind and your hands what you want that to become .
Who made the tools that the first blacksmith used ?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well , you also ought to have a tool iron that that Buffalo Forge tuyre would fit in . I happen to have one that might be available .
Grizzly is a good source for anvils and other forging tools for a novice . Antique shops and a resurgence of interest in smithing has driven the price of smithing tools out of the realm of the hobbiest .
You don't need to be fancy to start . Hunk of metal and some kind of fire to get it to at least yellow heat . Sompin to hold that hot stuff , sompin to beat it with , and sompin hard to beat it on . That and getting in your mind and your hands what you want that to become .
Who made the tools that the first blacksmith used ?

Did he swipe them from the farrier?.:laughing7:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Did he swipe them from the farrier?.:laughing7:
Nawp , he was the farrier . The blacksmith did it all . I have an anvil given to me that came across the Allegheny Front on a pack horse belonging to one of the first blacksmiths in my area . When the horn broke off during a vigorous forge weld he repaired it by forge welding it back on in his humble shop . That was in the late 1700's . A competent blacksmith made and repaired all his own tools

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nawp , he was the farrier . The blacksmith did it all . I have an anvil given to me that came across the Allegheny Front on a pack horse belonging to one of the first blacksmiths in my area . When the horn broke off during a vigorous forge weld he repaired it by forge welding it back on in his humble shop . That was in the late 1700's . A competent blacksmith made and repaired all his own tools

Oh yes. The smithy who showed me what he did suggested a couple hammers, an anvil then make the rest.
Forge welding a horn back on,,,yikes. Some time getting it heated with that mass,let alone the horn. Bet he knew by the "pop" that it took.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Oh yes. The smithy who showed me what he did suggested a couple hammers, an anvil then make the rest.
Forge welding a horn back on,,,yikes. Some time getting it heated with that mass,let alone the horn. Bet he knew by the "pop" that it took.
The story was passed to me by the oldtimer that gave it to me . The marks on it bear out the story . Jump welding that much mass just plain scares the hell out of me . Bet it did him , too . But , what else was he to do :icon_scratch: make a minimum 16 day round trip over to Baltimore on the chance that he could find another one that he could barter for ? Nobody on my side of the Allegheny Front had disposable cash at that time . Commerce was by barter . Mostly , you fixed what you had and made what you needed .

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Awesome story on the horn. The more i learn about this the more interested i become. I am not sure what you mean by the tool iron you have.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is pretty awesome man, I wish I had one. Maybe I will come across one this spring with all the machinery auctions in my area. Good find.

Hey Diesel once you get going with black smithing do you think you could make me an axe head? I collect axes and would love a hand forged one that came from someone I know. No pressure, just curious. Thanks buddy.

Ever find any interesting axe heads detecting?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone see a show about a town that has an anvil contest where they set the anvil on black powder and see who can blow there's the highest? They manage to get amazing heights. And here I am who always wanted one and they blow them up. ~(.)(.)~

perish01

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as a working blacksmith that started as a hobbyist it will get in your blood. if you guys are looking to learn i highly recommend checking out anvilfire.com. i have spent hours there just reading and learning from the masters that frequent that site.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Anyone see a show about a town that has an anvil contest where they set the anvil on black powder and see who can blow there's the highest? They manage to get amazing heights. And here I am who always wanted one and they blow them up. ~(.)(.)~
I have seen this on youtube. There is even one video of someone putting a anvil inside a travel trailer and launching it from inside the trailer. It leveled the trailer! Here is one video:
[video=youtube;IhQ4dE_RGnQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IhQ4dE_RGnQ[/video]

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
as a working blacksmith that started as a hobbyist it will get in your blood. if you guys are looking to learn i highly recommend checking out anvilfire.com. i have spent hours there just reading and learning from the masters that frequent that site.
Bravo for you , sir :icon_thumright: I was going to mention that great site on today's post .
Deisel , The tool iron is a 4 legged table that holds the tuyre and extra coal as well as having racks cast into the rim to hold commonly used tools .
Perish , Jerry Allen (the Wizard's Forge) mentored me on my power hammer build . He lives relatively close to me .

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Anvilfire.com is a awesome site! I discovered it a few days ago and you are right it is addicting! Iforgeiron.com is great to!

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bravo for you , sir :icon_thumright: I was going to mention that great site on today's post .
Deisel , The tool iron is a 4 legged table that holds the tuyre and extra coal as well as having racks cast into the rim to hold commonly used tools .
Perish , Jerry Allen (the Wizard's Forge) mentored me on my power hammer build . He lives relatively close to me .
Sounds like the tool iron is a pretty useful item. Is it also a work surface?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
No , Diesel , it's not a work surface . Room on it to hold work waiting to be heated . Work surfaces are anvil and vices .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions