dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any of you folks cooking up your own biodiesel? Is blue dragon around - this sounds like something he might have tried. I know folks who use it.

Diesel you are correct. I actually used to cover the company that does most of the trash in Maine. It's called Casella waste -cwst. I think they go by pine tree state in maine (we have them in scarborough). They pipe out the methane from the land fills and generate electricity with it by running it through engines. Land fill gas is basically nat gas - just a little "dirtier". I could go on forever about energy and resource depletion, that was my area of expertise in the investment markets. I loved it. as long as you think countries like china and India will continue to grow and become more wealthy you can expect them to continue to such up the worlds resources. Being efficient, recycling, etc isn't just for tree huggers anymore - it's big profitable biz!! Always more than happy to chat on these topics.

I have not made any bio-diesel but the Maritime Farms store in Union Maine sells it just up the road from me (b20 blend) but I have not tried it. I figure the old Dodge at 402,000 miles on her is used to diesel so I better not rock the boat with bio. As it is right now my injection pump is giving me fits again and will have to come off and go into the pump shop again and be worked on. Not cheap $500 to around $800... But that's ok as it is just a winter beater anymore. As far as waste company it is Pine Tree Waste and they handle all the trash and recycle materials our town produces. Big money in trash as you well know.
As far as China and India growing, again this is a sad thing as it should be us growing at those rates instead. We need manufacturing to come back. If we relaxed corporate taxes and regulations some it would come back. It makes me sick to see all the scrap metal we are selling to China so they can make some more cheap junk to sell back to us. Just more money leaving our shores...

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not made any bio-diesel but the Maritime Farms store in Union Maine sells it just up the road from me (b20 blend) but I have not tried it. I figure the old Dodge at 402,000 miles on her is used to diesel so I better not rock the boat with bio. As it is right now my injection pump is giving me fits again and will have to come off and go into the pump shop again and be worked on. Not cheap $500 to around $800... But that's ok as it is just a winter beater anymore. As far as waste company it is Pine Tree Waste and they handle all the trash and recycle materials our town produces. Big money in trash as you well know.
As far as China and India growing, again this is a sad thing as it should be us growing at those rates instead. We need manufacturing to come back. If we relaxed corporate taxes and regulations some it would come back. It makes me sick to see all the scrap metal we are selling to China so they can make some more cheap junk to sell back to us. Just more money leaving our shores...

Yup pine tree is owned by the public company Casella waste - cwst. They also used to own the waste to energy (trash burning) plant down in Biddeford Maine.

Actually scrap metal is one of this country's biggest exports now. We also export a ton of paper and plastic - which is also now hugely profitable. I used to cover the recycling industry pretty closely. Public companies like like Schnitzer steel - Schn, sims metal management - SMS, METALICO - mea. Industry is actually not doing to hot right now. Most of the Chinese steel is still produced in blast furnaces using iron ore and coal. They import most of our non-ferrous metals but are not a big importer of scrap steel. It's the minimills (electric arc furnaces) that use scrap steel. That's companies like Nucor - nue. They make steel by basically remelting scrap steel. Very efficient. It's a good stock to own.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

And I'd stay away from the biodiesel if you have to buy it. Defeats the purpose if your not producing it yourself. It's pretty cool that you basically use old cooking oil to make it. That's why the exhaust from a vehicle using biodiesel literal smells like McDonald French fries!! Seriously. One of my favorite public companies was darling industries - DAR. They are in probably one of the nastiest biz out there - rendering. But you would be shocked at how profitable recycling dead animals can be!! That was a fun plant tour!!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yup pine tree is owned by the public company Casella waste - cwst. They also used to own the waste to energy (trash burning) plant down in Biddeford Maine.

Actually scrap metal is one of this country's biggest exports now. We also export a ton of paper and plastic - which is also now hugely profitable. I used to cover the recycling industry pretty closely. Public companies like like Schnitzer steel - Schn, sims metal management - SMS, METALICO - mea. Industry is actually not doing to hot right now. Most of the Chinese steel is still produced in blast furnaces using iron ore and coal. They import most of our non-ferrous metals but are not a big importer of scrap steel. It's the minimills (electric arc furnaces) that use scrap steel. That's companies like Nucor - nue. They make steel by basically remelting scrap steel. Very efficient. It's a good stock to own.

I was under the impression the chinese were buying all our scrap steel. So they are making virgin steel?

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was under the impression the chinese were buying all our scrap steel. So they are making virgin steel?

Yes. They use mostly old blast furnaces that use iron ore and coal to make steel. They still do buy scrap steel - just not as much as you might think. Countries like the us, Japan, korea, turkey, Egypt, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc are actually big buyers of scrap steel - because they produce steel using eaf furnaces. Believe me china is the biggest importer of almost all recyclable items - metals, paper, plastic, etc. I use to publish a weekly recycling investment newsletter for big investors like mutual funds and pension funds. I called it "Talking Trash".

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Where are they getting the iron ore from? Are they mining it or buying on the commodity market?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid 6.25$ per gallon in Crown King Arizona Trouble was there is only one pump there:laughing7: ooops air was pretty clean there maybe they actually know something:tongue3:

Well, I was believing this whole story right through the paying $6.25 a gallon, but that last sentence had me wondering.

Clean air :icon_scratch: What, no chemtrails :dontknow: :laughing7:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are they getting the iron ore from? Are they mining it or buying on the commodity market?

China produces a lot of its own but imports quite a bit from brazil and Australia. They produce a lot of their own coal also but again a lot comes from Australia.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0121stockpicker;3275078 Believe me china is the biggest importer of almost all recyclable items - metals said:
I'm with you on that. The largest exports from the US are scrap. When I worked for the steamship lines, we loved these accounts for the mere weekly volume :tongue3: Funny thing, several years ago I had an interview with China Shipping Group, and the sales manager was questioning me on exports. If the clown actually took the time to review my resume he would have known I was already in the business for decades. He then asked about our largest exports from NY. Without batting an eye, and in my usual fashion, I told him garbage. I said we export scrap to foreign countries and it comes back as a finished product :laughing7: Apparently, this company had no sense of humor :tongue3:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have a link but my understanding is if you take into account the costs , mostly military, to insure the petrol makes it to the US our costs/gallon is closer to $15. It's just hidden costs that we don't consider. Domestic gasoline takes about one gallon to produce and deliver one gallon. It's a great fuel but like the Prime Minister of Iceland said a bit ago Americans get their gas at wholesale. Well maybe we used to but based on the price of crude I guess we have it ok at the pump because were not aware of our real costs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread