What do you think in 150 yrs.....?

H

Holly_squirrel

It's hard to imagine in a 150 years somebody could find a button off my jeans ... Rusted like a lump and excitably share it ... Like we do here... Or find a broken blade from my mower and spend the time to painstakingly clean it.
It's easy to understand the excitement About some thing like gold or silver that is worth money.... But it's the worthless treasures that we find and are excited about that mean alot to us... That I wonder about 150-200 years from now
Does it get to a point that technology has advanced so much that history of " things" will lose it's charm? 200 years ago for us, was a totally differnt world... No cars, electric, ect. I know things will advance far beyond our imaginations in tbe future.. But how far can it possibly go. And I'm sure glad I wasn't born 200 years from now... I think I was already born 100 years to late as is.
And one more tbing... Lol. Will we leave behind less you think, even though the population has exploded? Due to everything being plastic now? And today's houses are a joke.. Built worse than a shed from 100 years ago... Thoughts?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe in less than fifty years there will be companies mining our landfills for obvious stuff and other stuff we haven't thought valuable yet. I also believe there is no such thing as garbage just our unwillingness to invest the energy to find uses for our trash.
Future people will probably write books guessing how we lived and what we valued based on our garbage, Where I live a person can get a PHD in studying stuff discarded by ancient cultures like Chaco.
In truth I don't think people change from who we were, just the technology changes. One thing I liked about the film Alien was the crew on the space ship were the same motley crew we'd expect today. People don't change.
I think there will always be treasure hunters. And often hunting for things that just spark the imagination. Like a button.
I just remembered my "Box O Stuff" I had as a kid. Nothing of earthly value except a gold tooth. Maybe finding stuff is kind of like that.

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

Wise insight. You are right... The core of what makes us human dies not change.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great thread Holly. I would like to believe that 150 years from now the common everyday items that we use will still hold that wonder for those that find them. I can imagine someone finding an old buried tool from my garden and wondering who used it and when.There was a old dairy farm on the property where I live and when we had to replant a tree I was in awe of something so simple as a cattle tag that I dug up.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The year-2063......Posted on Tnet, "what is it" Found this yesterday while detecting with my new virtual,Goggle Earth, satellite imagry, remote sensing eyepiece on my glasses, It's what appears to be made of solid, heated silica sand, and has a label....Budwieser.....HELP

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

GMD52 said:
The year-2063......Posted on Tnet, "what is it" Found this yesterday while detecting with my new virtual,Goggle Earth, satellite imagry, remote sensing eyepiece on my glasses, It's what appears to be made of solid, heated silica sand, and has a label....Budwieser.....HELP

Lol.. Also found with it, whAt appears to be very thick glass material , perhaps lenses from eyewear or goggles. A very large junk of regret and a strip of what appears to be badly damaged dignity . Lol

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

CoilyGirl said:
Great thread Holly. I would like to believe that 150 years from now the common everyday items that we use will still hold that wonder for those that find them. I can imagine someone finding an old buried tool from my garden and wondering who used it and when.There was a old dairy farm on the property where I live and when we had to replant a tree I was in awe of something so simple as a cattle tag that I dug up.

Ya know by the time we are gone that long metal detecting will be xray vision

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

if it's not empty send it over, iced down of course

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to imagine in a 150 years somebody could find a button off my jeans ... Rusted like a lump and excitably share it ... Like we do here... Or find a broken blade from my mower and spend the time to painstakingly clean it.
It's easy to understand the excitement About some thing like gold or silver that is worth money.... But it's the worthless treasures that we find and are excited about that mean alot to us... That I wonder about 150-200 years from now
Does it get to a point that technology has advanced so much that history of " things" will lose it's charm? 200 years ago for us, was a totally differnt world... No cars, electric, ect. I know things will advance far beyond our imaginations in tbe future.. But how far can it possibly go. And I'm sure glad I wasn't born 200 years from now... I think I was already born 100 years to late as is.
And one more tbing... Lol. Will we leave behind less you think, even though the population has exploded? Due to everything being plastic now? And today's houses are a joke.. Built worse than a shed from 100 years ago... Thoughts?

so let me get this straight, if you were born 100 years ago YOU would be the one burying the iron you are finding now! So ask yourself where the good stuff is.

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

However I wasn't born 100 years ago...

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
150 years from now people( if medal detectors are still legal won't be finding zinczloids) As for the metal they will find in the molten silica may have a plate that say's Made In Iran. Or North Korea. On the lighter side they could all have grown Gills because the Global Warming crowd was right.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nothing like positive thinking

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I remodeled the 1880's farm house/log cabin I live in, I was sure I would find some treasure, but just an old bottle and a clay pipe.

So I stashed small bags of coins (very small) in the walls, and any place I figured they would be safe till the next renovation, my version of Forrest Fenn.

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

Gold Maven said:
When I remodeled the 1880's farm house/log cabin I live in, I was sure I would find some treasure, but just an old bottle and a clay pipe.

So I stashed small bags of coins (very small) in the walls, and any place I figured they would be safe till the next renovation, my version of Forrest Fenn.

I'd do the same. A friend of a friend ripped out a fireplace ( why you'd do that I don't know) in their house and in it they found tons of stuff. The oddest to me being photos ... Lots of em... People didnt have cameras back then obviously... So pictures were rare... This was back in the day when they would photograph dead relatives in lifelike poses.... Sometimes the only pic the people ever had taken of them . Creepy as all hell. So anyhow to Put pics behind a fireplace , where you would not be able to retrieve them surprised me.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
150 years from now people( if medal detectors are still legal won't be finding zinczloids) As for the metal they will find in the molten silica may have a plate that say's Made In Iran. Or North Korea. On the lighter side they could all have grown Gills because the Global Warming crowd was right.

Are you saying you don't have gills?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
With the way humanity is headed I don't hold out much hope of anyone being here 150 years from now!! GodBless Chris

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One difference to consider about 200 years ago, versus 200 years in the future, is the way everything is recorded today. We have no sounds recorded from 200 years ago, no videos, and only a few pictures. No one alive today, has ever heard what Lincoln really sounded like!

Historians studying today, 200 years in the future, will have tons of pictures, books, videos, and audio recording to better understand us from. I do think coins will always become collectible. They just naturally become more rare as time passes.

Gold Maven, I hide stuff some times too, wondering who will find it in the future. I have taken new McDonald's kids toys and thrown them up in my attic, so someone will find it in the future! :)

Last edited:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drill a hole on top of your door and drop a few coins in there. I have always detected the doors of older farm homes. Found a few years ago.

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

BryanM362 said:
One difference to consider about 200 years ago, versus 200 years in the future, is the way everything is recorded today. We have no sounds recorded from 200 years ago, no videos, and only a few pictures. No one alive today, has ever heard what Lincoln really sounded like!

Historians studying today, 200 years in the future, will have tons of pictures, books, videos, and audio recording to better understand us from. I do think coins will always become collectible. They just naturally become more rare as time passes.

Gold Maven, I hide stuff some times too, wondering who will find it in the future. I have taken new McDonald's kids toys and thrown them up in my attic, so someone will find it in the future! :)

Wow yeah, your right. Didn't quite think of that... I was tbinking in broader terms... I knew it wouldn't be the same .. As it is for us( looking back), but I knew it just wouldn't be as mysterious as the past was to us

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread