onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once I called a Arche that works for the State and told him I had found some arrow heads on a road building project His reply" you shouldn't have picked them up" So why waste the time reporting anything you find someone will want it.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theres a book locked up in a vault that has all documented archy finds. But I cant say where lol.

OP
OP
Ammonhotep

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deleted.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Violations of FED, STATE, COUNTY/CITY (Localities) Laws will "land" you in TROUBLE! REASONS not to report...

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple more reasons:

Privacy-It's no one else's business.
It's a security risk.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Look what happened to Mel Fisher. It's called greed, and governments have it the worst. Next come insurance companies and a long list of so called relatives. I've never made a major find or anything worth a lot of money. If I ever do, nobody will know about it but me.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The curious hunter knows there are far more phenomenal finds NOT being shared
by the members of the forum than those achieving banner fame. Certainly the lurkers out there are gathering information,
and sharing none. Wise members are likely less-than-forthcoming at times, too.

I figure there are only a few reasons to keep your big finds a secret:
  • The find was illegally obtained
  • Ownership of the find is disputed.
  • The finder wishes to avoid taxation
  • The finder wishes to avoid attention or close scrutiny of his/her life
Any others you'd add to the list?
And what do you think is being found out there that's not being shared here?-Ammo

Why are you even the least bit concerned about finds that people keep to themselves?

People share (or don't share) their finds based on their own personal desires, and whatever
their motivations are for posting/not-posting a find is solely up to the finder, and nobody else's
business.

I see your "few reasons", and hope you will add to it that some folks are just private,
and choose not to share such things. Their motivations are their business, not mine
or yours.

Do you feel that, as members of TNet we have a responsibility to present our finds here?
If so, what do you base it on? Is it in the rules? Do you (or anyone else) have a RIGHT to see
these finds?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Im on this cliff about 700' feet up. Here comes a black hummer, Im laughing as I eat a subway, as there is no way he is going to come up here after me. Next thing I know a airplane comes out of some restricted air space and starts buzzing the mountain top. I just found a flat spot under a overhang, opened my laptop, and surfed Tnet lol. There are folks with guns out there and they think your stealing from them, dont talk about what you find.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People love talking ... that's why there's a TNet with people who post all kinds of drivel about not-treasure.

-Ammo
Your definition and my definition of treasure is two totally different things. Have you looked at my avatar, lol. There is some really good folks on here, and we all come to learn. Also to share what we can. One truth is for sure, finding the treasure, and getting the treasure is two different things. I want nothing to do with it, I just like walking in the foot steps of those who did it 200 years ago. Ammon I see you hunt the desert too, the things we see is the real treasure. The stories we talk about, is the gem.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started mding in 1966, I'll help anyone that asks. But I'm not 'talking'

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lack of camera. although I haven't found anything amazing , last few hunts
I'v been keeping quiet about simply because I can't do pics right now.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You guys are looking at this situation backwards. What good reason is there for you to notarize your find. Hay, I just answered all of the above.
Actually It is better to live anonymously and well then stand in the spotlight for a moment and fizzle out. Look at the good movie themes, how they lived and how well they lived . The Thomas Crown Affair, The Highlander. Now your getting it! Frank...

079.jpg Its not good to toot your own horn!!!!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once I called a Arche that works for the State and told him I had found some arrow heads on a road building project His reply" you shouldn't have picked them up" So why waste the time reporting anything you find someone will want it.

seriously? did he want them paved over forever? that makes no sense ( however you said he worked for the state, so)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in Egypt things go missing from museums all the time. Many of the best finds also sit in state storage facilities.

Those aren't really the ones I'm talking about, though. Personal finds are the ones I'd love to know about, but I expect no information from this crew! Loose lips sink ships.

I mean, if there ever was a Beale treasure, is it still there? Why would anyone report such a find, rather than just keeping it a secret and letting the poor, foolish researchers keep up their futile quest? It's easier to hide a found treasure when others keep looking, thinking it's lost.

-Ammo

ok don't tell anyone this. when I found the lost dutchman's mine I didn't tell anyone because the IRS won't suspect my gold sales if people are still looking for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread