onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the storm named sandy. All I see on the reports the board walk is being repaired? Homes still demolished, people living in hotels Looks like nothing else is happening. Are the big boys waiting for that one big photo opt on the boardwalk?

What happened to all that bread they raised for those in need. Maybe free cell phones, or school lunches were are all the people who posted 6 months with there answers now?? (oh wait nothing to see here)

Don't hear much on the red states here in the Midwest that are under water.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quoted to me by a city official in Va Beach. That storm is gonna affect everyone on the eastern seaboard, in a big way.

And to make it clear, regulations and Fema. Good luck to anyone in areas that Fema decided to re-designate your 500 or 100 year flood plain to something they can claim money from. Go ahead and see if you can fight your new designation if you have a mortgage!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Only one positive ... While some abused the benefits they received after Katrina, those who were really trying were ridiculed right along with the crooks when things didn't pick up overnight.

Get used to it. A government that is too big will never "do the right thing" . . . not because they don't want to, but just because they have no idea what to do. A big flock of educated IDI0TS!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one positive ... While some abused the benefits they received after Katrina, those who were really trying were ridiculed right along with the crooks when things didn't pick up overnight.

Get used to it. A government that is too big will never "do the right thing" . . . not because they don't want to, but just because they have no idea what to do. A big flock of educated IDI0TS!
I am building on a property, and there is a corner,, the highest corner on the lot,, actually 10 or 12 lots. it was a 500 year flood plain until redesignated in 2009 to a VE floodplain. That means Very Expensive in contractor talk. ( or velocity flow for some). Because I have no proof I will say it is my" opinion" that Fema needs to widen it's insurance base.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
What I don't understand is why people that take the chance and buy or build in questionable areas and then loose the bet expect the government, ie the people, to cover there loss. Now I can understand if they bought flood insurance from the government, but I don't know why the government is in the insurance business. I can see the government helping on public property. My home burned down 13 years ago and the government chipped in nothing. I had to build the new home myself with help from my sons. Frank...

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly Frankn! The government should absolutely not be in the insurance business! People who expect the government to bail them out every time they made a bad decision are a huge problem.

Now, if the government was out like they should be, private insurance takes it over and assesses the risk much more efficiently and equitably.

Then if you were an American, with the old Cowboy spirit, you could get your own insurance or not. Here is where Cowboys seem to get a bad rap. If one decided not to purchase the insurance one would suck up the loss! And the rest of us would say,, wow that's terrible. I better make sure I have covered myself.

There was a time when Americans knew it was not in the mandate of the government. Neighbors and even churches would get involved if the situation demanded it. The very fact that Government is getting involved in all of these disasters is the reason less people are acting neighborly! Everyone just says "let the gov take care of it, it's our taxes anyway" and the cycle of higher taxation continues.

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was referring to all the millions private citizens sent to this disaster Who got that?? Rebuilding the boardwalk so people on vacation can see the destruction? And that chubby guy who runs things say's all promises of the king have been met?

Now if my property was somewhat devastated I would be donating it to the fire department for practice burns that way you can right off the worth. At least that works here.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a big push by the church of gore to restrict building in areas that might see some kind of event. To do this they would regulate you, tax you and generally make it extremely distasteful to build in these areas. Unless you know someone who knows someone.

Check out this pad! Global warming is for suckers , he laughs all the way to the bank!
PHOTOS: Al Gore's New $8.875 Million Montecito Villa

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you built on the sand and own the land. Wonder if you could Bag it and sell it to the people on the rivers (Mid West Flooding) Just kidding But..... Must be some kind of help your neighbor thing. Probably drive the eco nuts crazy:laughing7:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is some guidelines/ FEMA
NJDEP-Division of Land Use Regulation-Home

This is an interesting article on imminent domain, the gov wants to take the land(beach) the problem is some owners want to be paid,, and some want to stay.
New Jersey Shore Community May Take Land for Beach Replenishment

" Having gotten only so far with “friendly persuasion,” the Jersey shore community that was hardest hit by Superstorm Sandy is ready to take out the stick.

Mantoloking is preparing to use eminent domain to take control of small strips of land from oceanfront homeowners who are holding up a critically needed beach replenishment project.
waves-during-Hurricane-Sandy-300x200.jpg
A word from our sponsor:
Donan Engineering.
Donan offers forensic engineering, fire investigation, component testing and lightning investigation services throughout most of the U.S. Our origin and cause experts utilize a rewind approach to research incidents, reconstruct events and reveal causes. Visit donan.com today.
lg.php

Photo by Marilee Caliendo/FEMA

The storm-decimated borough hired an attorney Tuesday to start condemnation proceedings against a handful of holdouts who won’t sign easements that would allow federal officials to carry out the work. And it plans to publicly release the names of the holdouts within the next week if they don’t change their minds and sign.
“A selfish and short-sighted group of people are going to cost this town a lot of money,” said Councilman Steve Gillingham. “We’re moving from the friendly persuasion approach we’ve been taking to some assertive legal action. The town will be releasing the names of this small, but difficult group.” "

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So do you see this part by the councilman?
“A selfish and short-sighted group of people are going to cost this town a lot of money,” said Councilman Steve Gillingham.

He is not referring to money washing on the shore when they replinish. He is talking about funds that will not be released until the municipality acquiesces to the will of FEMA.
Fema decides what to do based on Al Gore or any other Sierra club type group, with a small bit of enough statistics to make the decision so murky Einstein couldn't figure it out. Then Fema tells the community we will give you this carrot if you take away things from citizens, and try to make it as hard as you can for them to rebuild. And Fema WILL not let the municipality have the funds unless they get their way.

This a small glimpse under the tent of regulations flooding every town in America, And not just with Fema, the whole alphabet soup of agencies!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread