Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ultra High Mileage Car : Elio Motors

Elio-Motors-shot03.jpg

I think it's kinda' cool...

I commute 150 miles a day to work in a mid-size car that averages 34mpg. I used to ride my Harley, but it got worse mileage than the car and in summer, with all of my gear on, I would cook in Phoenix when traffic came to a stop.

This has AC and a heater... And will cost less than an entry-level cruiser street bike at $6800.

If you view it as purely a commuter that is safer than a motorcycle and better mileage than a car, then it makes sense... Could never be a primary vehicle, though.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's putting it out? Does it come in Black?

Sorry did not read the top of the post thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it would sit 2 I would buy most likely but not for just 1..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
No I wouldn't buy it. Not for the usual reasons though. My wife's HD is up for sale and I'm considering selling mine. In the last 6-7 years people have been developing and practicing the stupid habit of distraction. Now they have got very good at it. So good I only feel safe in my PU. The pipes on my bike are loud and that used to be a level of protection but no more. I can imagine when the majority of cars have touch screens in them.
The car is probably a good idea for a lot of reasons. If you can get the other drivers to quit all their bad habits so your survival had a chance I'd be for it. The world needs these alternatives. I'd like to see billboards and TV adds saying "If I'm involved in an accident your phone records will be subpoenaed.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nope I wouldn't buy it purely because I've driven a Smart Car and was scared to death in it,not enough pick up and go even in the city and I would be afraid I couldn't get out of someone's way fast enough.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It looks good. That front wheel drive is nice. It seats two. The only thing they don't say is what motor and transmission it uses. The only thing that
that was a slight bit distracting was it had a slight bounce, which is common for a light vehicle. It looks great as a comuter or go to the store car. I don't know about highway handling, that wasn't shown. I also don't know about insurance. Those companies are picky. I'll take mine in white. Frank...

58 Isetta 300-BMW.jpg 1960 MESSENSCHMIDTT.jpg

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that car a few months ago(the promo anyway). The price is good, good mileage, and with the new standards put out by the government it might be all you allowed to buy soon. Really, do not worry about safety anymore, that is what drove out the CRX isn't it?

You either go mileage, or safe, not too many other ways to get there. Maybe a great enviro friendly innovator can figure it out next century?

OP
OP
idowa

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is being classified as a motorcycle which helps it avoid a lot of safety requirements...

If gas was 50 cents a gallon, I would commute in my suburban; I love being surrounded by steel and leather...

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Why not buy one. Cool colors, great mileage, fantastic price. Highway dependability? Around town probably awesome. Thanks for this post. Think I'll grab one. And don't worry CoilyGirl, you'll never see it(death) coming and the handles look secure enough so they can just bury you in it.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope I wouldn't buy it purely because I've driven a Smart Car and was scared to death in it,not enough pick up and go even in the city and I would be afraid I couldn't get out of someone's way fast enough.

Check out the Smart Car website. They have a commercial featuring Godzilla vs. Smart Car...

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother-in-law was looking at building a diesel motorcycle that will get 150mpg. Also saw a 1972 Datsun, converted to electric, that can do the quarter mile in under 11.5 seconds. It's called the White Zombie.

Changes are coming, but they won't really take hold until oil starts to run out. With new proven reserves all the time, it's going to take a while.

-Ammo

OP
OP
idowa

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a 2012 Ford Fusion SE Sport that I bought brand new in October of 2011... The 60k mile warranty ran out last month... The first car I used for the commute was a 1994 Mercury Cougar with the 4.6 V8. I averaged 22mpg after I did intake and exhaust mods and ran strictly synthetic oil. I gave it to my son for his first car w/ 172k miles on it. He now has over 200k miles w/ no major repairs.

I then bought a 2005 Mustang V6 with 15k miles on it. I modded it with all sorts of goodies until it was putting out about 280hp and 27mpg. But, it was just too cramped taking the kids to the mall on the weekends so I traded it in on a brand new 2009 Mercury Milan, which was basically a 4cyl Fusion. Drove it and liked it until the transmission went out just before the warranty expired. out of warranty and 10k miles later, the transmission started acting up again. The 2012s supposedly have a beefed up transmission and 175hp 4cyl, so I bought the Fusion.

It has been a great car and I have a free-flowing exhaust and just a K&N drop-in filter... It is a sharp looking car and I hate the fact that I'm wearing it out so quickly...

dscn1657.jpg

Jan 14, 2013
Over there, Somewhere. K-town
Detector(s) used
Electrons. A lot of them.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...intake and exhaust mods and ran strictly synthetic oil.

...modded it with all sorts of goodies until it was putting out about 280hp and 27mpg

dscn1657.jpg

Oh, so you're one of those guys

280hp? ...so that's 180whp:icon_thumleft:

I really enjoy my Subi. I just wish the community were more supportive. NASIOC is a disaster.

Injectors are coming in this week! On the dyno for an E85 tune!

"280hp and 27mpg"

I don't understand how ^ works. I'll probably get 14 tops burning corn

Cheers from a LegacyGT owner

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Changes are coming, but they won't really take hold until oil starts to run out. With new proven reserves all the time, it's going to take a while.

-Ammo

Now this used to be the mantra of why we had to use less oil, notice how it keeps Progressing to other reasons?

Control is the real reason. Everything else is an excuse for how to get it done.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks good. That front wheel drive is nice. It seats two. The only thing they don't say is what motor and transmission it uses.. Frank...
An inline, 3 cylinder, 1 liter, 70 HP, fuel-injected, SOHC gas-powered, liquid-cooled, automotive engine. 5-speed manual or automatic. And yes, it has a reverse gear.

Top speed is in excess of 100 MPH, and the 0-60 speed is under 9.6 seconds. So it’s not exotic sports car fast, but it’s not slow, either. And while a gas-guzzling muscle car might pass you, no one will pass gas stations like you.

So it's faster than a 2011 Toyota Corolla LE

I would buy one for that price in a heartbeat. The louder the color the better, for safety's sake.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd pay $100 bucks for one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread