WWI era family pics

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought some if you might like to see some of my pics in a family album of mine.

image-3796178112.jpg

Sitting in picture is my great great grandmother

image-3244211692.jpg

Great great grandmom Melser again

Attachments

• image-3258934453.jpg
    image-3258934453.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 86
  • image-552865607.jpg
    image-552865607.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2506287172.jpg
    image-2506287172.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3254067316.jpg
    image-3254067316.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 89

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Nice pictures. Do you have the names of the people in the other pics? I ask because I recently became the recipient of the 'family photos' from my mother. I have pictures going back 3-4 generations, and not all are identified. I really need to get busy and archive the photos, and add the names, dates, places, etc so future generations of my family will be able to keep up with them. I've got a lot of work to do!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures. Do you have the names of the people in the other pics? I ask because I recently became the recipient of the 'family photos' from my mother. I have pictures going back 3-4 generations, and not all are identified. I really need to get busy and archive the photos, and add the names, dates, places, etc so future generations of my family will be able to keep up with them. I've got a lot of work to do!!

Soldier is Carl Melser , the children are identified by " children of so and so"

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Melser? You know speaking German was against the law at that time? And he was a doughboy? Or was I wrong in the name?

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Melser? You know speaking German was against the law at that time? And he was a doughboy? Or was I wrong in the name?

Yesssss, that was his name... What am I missing here? Lol . Because it's of German decent ?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No jimmi, I am also of German descent, just saying, my family quit speaking German at that time. I am just impressed. Nice pics. Glad you have them.

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I'm glad I have them too

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have the same problem as ramjet. Have lots of old pictures going back through several generations and lots of people unidentified. As they were passed to my Dad, his Mother helped ID the ones she knew. Then Dad ID'ed a few more over the years. When he passed them to me, that pretty much ended the search for lost names. He's gone. Everybody is gone. It's an interesting collection. I especially like the ones that have a good background showing behind the people. Some of those houses and barns are still standing.

Thanks for posting your pictures Jimmi.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool Jimmi! My great great grandparents came in from Germany, (on my dads said), back around 1885-1890's somewhere around there. I only have a few names and wish there were photos to pass around down the family chain.

My dad took pictures of us growing up, but he never had many of his parents, grandparents, etc, guess due to teh fact his mother and father divorced, people stopped talking to each other etc.

At least you got something to referrence on who looks like whom!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great pictures! And amazing the timing.

I don't know a great deal about my ancestors, though I have the original family farm - my ancestors were the first settlers. And I have my great great great grandfather's discharge paper as POW in the Union prisons.

But last weekend I went down to the county historical society, and they had a book featuring historical pictures of the county.

I finally started looking at the book on Thursday, and ran into pictures of my grandfather and great grandfather on my father's side dated 1908, and then a few pages later I found pictures of my great grandparents on my mother's side dated early 1900's.

So, take a look at your ancestral historical society! You never know what you'll run into - in addition to tips about potential hunting sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread