Idiot mentality

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Jellybeans wont cause cancer or any of the other complications attributed to cigarrettes. If eating jellybeans gets ya through it, more power to ya! When I quit, I did good til I would see someone smoking in a car at a red light. It drove me nuts & I'd never wanted a smoke more than at that moment! After about 6 months the cravings are almost gone, I work with a bunch of nicotine whores & can now take breaks with them & watch them smoke & it doesnt bother me at all. Be strong & do whatever you need to do to stop...........we have faith in your strength.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ashleen............I hope you feel better soon! I know now what its like to go through something when you feel it will never happen to you!!! My brother smoked for years and now has some moderate health problems ............I have never smoked !!! So trying to say I know what its like would be wrong......... But for what I have seen people go through and the many times I have seen people try to quit , they have had a hard time doing it! But I know you CAN DO IT! Just say no......MY brother did and has never touched a smoke since! Just find something to keep your mind on and before you know it ..............You will be feeling much better! :) :) :)

Get well soon!

John

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashleen, I have been a 2 pack a day man for 40+ years and have been trying to quit. My wife and I both smoke and she is trying to quit too. We are down to a pack a day between us but sometimes I cheat, but I gotta' quit! I have been in the hospital twice with pneumonia, three times with heart related problems and one aortal aneurysm repaired. It's killing me slowly. Now how stupid is that? For any of you youngsters out there....QUIT NOW!! It is much easier when you first start and if you haven't started, DON'T START!! I wish you all the best a Ashleen. Advice from a fool. >:( Monty

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More similarities Ash. When I felt I had the smoking licked, Dec. 23rd, I gave what I had left of the Chantix prescription to one of my sons. He was smoking about a pack every 2 or 3 days, not a real heavy smoker but, a smoker just the same. He immediately cut back to only a few smokes per day and now, today, is his 5th day of not smoking at all. I think I'm happier about him quitting more than myself. I don't think I'll ever start again. I've been through all the tests. I've been with the guys drinking beer, out metal detecting and even played a round of golf............no smokes and no desire. They say the Chantix has about a 75% success rate. The Dr. said it helps if you join a support group but I don't believe I need that but, if it helps some people, the better. If we here on TN can be your support group and actually be part of your quitting decision, how pleased we would all be and, if it can change just one person's life, what better reason for this site to exist.

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Ash - don't know you, really haven't responded to many if any of your posts, but I do know this. The craving is not as strong as you are! You can, no, you WILL do it! Air will taste like candy to you, you will swing better and longer than ever before. People will admire you for your inner strength, will say, "If I only had her strength!", and you will be able to tell them that they DO! With the money you will save, you can have a new MD every year and be alive to enjoy it. Wife and I quit together in 1976, no withdrawl, no shakes or craves. Downside - food tastes better! Upside - ya gotta eat to live, ya don't gotta smoke! Look forward to continuation of success story, and an announcement of a new MD purchased with cancer stick money!

You Go! And Live!

Tourezrick

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there Ashleen.I smoked my last cigarette the morning of Nov.25,2006.You can do it if you really want to.I wish you a speedy recovery.

Attachments

• death.jpg
    death.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 316

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I smoked for 30 years since I was in high school. My first trip to the doctor in over 20 years produced a bad lung x-ray. For me it was easy to quit. I never thought I was doing any damage. I enjoy the outdoors too much. What helped me was eating hard candy. At first I didnt inhale. I sometimes would put the smoke in my mouth without lighting it, or a toothpick. Then a lot of hard candy.

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
METOO

Like many above, I smoked 42 years, but stopped the day I walked into the hospital for a cardiac catheter checkup. Didn't leave the hospital till six days later. A quad bypass, and the right carotid cleaned and scrapped in a single go round, and believe me it was a long, long, day for my family. I, of course, got to skip all that........ :)

Three months later, a second carotid surgery for the other side.

Managed to quit cold turkey, after finishing a cigarette on the way to the hospital entry for the check up..

Too bad that fear had to be my motivator.

That was five years ago this March, and I've been working and detecting and mowing the grass on a small farm since, so you can get back on your feet, and I believe Ashleen that a person with your skills and attitude will be out there with the rest of us soon. Best wishes and God be with you through each phase of your recovery.

I was amazed at the effect a five minute slow walk twice a day for a week, followed by a six minute slow walk etc.. had on both my outlook and my recovery. After two months, I was back at work full time, and shortly after, driving myself across the country to visit relatives. I know your situation is somewhat different with the oxygen issue, but persevere, you can get back to better than you felt before.

Look forward to seeing more of your md posts. God bless!

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
My last smoke was the evening of June 1st 1982.. After 20 years, I also quit cold turkey.. Of 'some' help, was the vasectomy I had on June 6th 1982. Suddenly, I had a target to blame all my discomfort on.. :D When I quit, the dean at the college where I was teaching told me the hardest times are 2hours, 2Days, 2Weeks, 2 Months, 2 years.. then you have it beat... He was right on the money..It took two years before I stopped coughing up brown stuff in the morning...

My sister-in-law, a hell of a good woman, was diagnosed with lung cancer. Her 'final' smoke was just before they put her ashes in the urn... Don't make that 'YOUR' final smoke...

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
If you have to smoke you should switch to cigars or roll your own out of pipe tobacco. Its still not as safe as not smokeing but pipe and cigar tobacco has less Tar then cigerretts. Just what the history channel taught me this week...

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
cedarratt said:
If you have to smoke you should switch to cigars or roll your own out of pipe tobacco. Its still not as safe as not smokeing but pipe and cigar tobacco has less Tar then cigerretts. Just what the history channel taught me this week...
I may be wrong but I think what they mean is that pipe and cigar smokers do not inhale. You can still get mouth cancer. I quit by first not inhaling, like Clinton. :D Then I switched to hard candy.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hang in there! You can do it too.
I smoked for 35 years and decided to quit during the Thanksgiving Holliday. I had to have a smoke even though that weekend I found out I had strep. That last cigarette damn near killed me, not to mention that they are now about $45.00 a carton.
I really didn't think I could do it, but after nearly 2 months I can honestly say I don't crave them any more.

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can really do it if you have made up your mind to stop. I had smoked for 20+ years and decided to quit last year. At first I chewed so much gum I could probably crack walnuts with my jaw muscles, but now I don't even think about it anymore, even when I am around smokers. I did notice how bad cigarrette smoke really smells after a week or so! Just set your mind about it and thats it!! I will be smoke free 1 year on Feb. 26th.

Good Luck!!

D.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Good luck to you Ashleen. I'm glad I found this post. I'm one of those that knows that I need to quit too, but just don't want to. Alot of folks here posted that they went cold turkey. That's not always the best way for everyone. Some people are stronger than others! Everyone has to do it there own way.

I have been inspired though by the replies to your post. I will be checking into the Chantix. Sounds like it may be a good solution for me.

Good luck with your recovery. I truly hope all goes well for you and you continue to beat your nicotine addiction! ;)

Moon

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how many people on this site have quit smoking already or just recently decided to, or, are thinking about it. It's also amazing that we all remember exactly when we quit. Kinda like knowing where you were when Elvis or Kennedy died. I also remember when it was polite to offer people a smoke. Well, times have changed....take your pick. ;D

Attachments

• candy.JPG
    candy.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 224
S

stefen

How in the hell can you quit using the damn patches when they won't light?

Finally figured it out ;D

It's working.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Ashleen,
I wish you all the luck of the Irish in stopping I started when I was 13, and I have been smoke free for 1 year now. My 1st day without was the 1st day of spring new starts.for spring and myself . I had no air to do things with my grandkids, I want to do with them so much. I lost a co-worker last year. worried about 1 this year and a friend and 2 females kin by marraige about my age (50) had their legs go out on them, and stints but in, docs said smoking the reason. But now I have a little more money, but I do still want one sometimes,but I aint goin do it. Peter Jennings stopped, started again while reporting 911 and very shortly he was dying. Now if I can get my daughter and Jeff to quit I'd be happier, I used the Wal-Mart patches each set 1 week instead of 3 weeks each but it helped. My prayers are withyou for a fast recovery and luck for stopping. March 20 1 year.

Mental Granny

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashleen said:
2 packs a day for 40 .......................-BAD year here :(

Wishing all you smokers success this year :)
Damn! I hope you recovery quickly. Godspeed.

The tobacco companies have made cigarettes 11% stronger as I have been told. There is an additive that they put in cigarettes for a long long time to amplify the addictive effects of nicotine. Makes nicotine approximately 25% stronger than in it's natural state!! Packs are a dollar more per. Now Bush wants to make health care more affordable for smaller companies....anyone see the trend?

I am 34 and have been smoking a minimum of a pack a day since I was 16 years old. I think I will suck it up and have a lot more discipline so that hopefully I will not end up in the same situation. My wife has been "clean" for two years. I am such a wuss.....thanks for inspiring me. Sorry it is under these terms. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Laater...

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will.Dig, good luck to you bud. Wish I had quit years ago. Back then they said the only drawback from smoking was it would stunt your growth. No one believed that. Then when the real stats came out, we were already hooked and downplayed the bad effects because some of us were too bullheaded to quit.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Hi Ashleen , I chain smoked for years . Didn't think I could ever quit . Finally quit I did in 1991 . After about 3 months I really began to see a big improvement in my breathing . I really believe if I could quit anyone could . Can't stand to be around the things anymore . Really sorry to hear about your health problems . Will send a prayer your way tonight .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions