🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
It must be pretty frustrating seeing your hero finally being revealed for who he is....

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It must be pretty frustrating seeing your hero finally being revealed for who he is....

Boy it must be frustrating when you can't engage in intelligent debate and this is all you can say. What's next - "I know you are but what am I"?? If I'm on ignore why do you keep responding?? Do you need help getting ignore function to work??

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen, warning.... no insults!

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
food stamps? why are they even in existence? Free lunch programs food drives, food banks, People on every corner with "Will work for food signs"
Maybe because they don't give soda lobster tails, steaks, etc. at these places???

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Where, oh where -- to put Obama's picture.

George Washington, our nation's first president and leader of the American Revolution!

dollar.jpg

Abe Lincoln, honorable leader who pulled our nation through its darkest time!

five.jpg

Alexander Hamilton, founding father, first Secretary of the Treasury and leader of the constitutional convention!

ten.jpg

Andrew Jackson, "Old Hickory " fought the British in New Orleans !

twenty.jpg

Ulysses Grant, Union army general, led the North through the Civil War!

fifty.jpg

Ben Franklin, genius inventor, political theorist and leading author of the Constitution.

hundred.jpg

Finally, we have someone to put on the food stamp!!!

coupon.jpg

Obama's policies have put more people on welfare than any president before him, so this placement is most appropriate. Unlike the Nobel Peace Prize, for which he did nothing, this is an "honor" he richly deserves.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
food stamps? why are they even in existence? Free lunch programs food drives,
food banks, People on every corner with "Will work for food signs". Maybe because they don't give soda
lobster tails, steaks, etc. at these places???

I do wish folks would not be so generalizing in their comments.

Most local food banks are locally supported, and because of those
"food drives" that good folks of all kinds donate to that many do not
go hungry for days in a row.

Many of those "food signs" people are not legit, and are just taking your money.
Give it to a Food Bank instead, as then it will go to help those who, for whatever
reason, are not able to save enough after paying just basic bills will at least be
able to have something in the cupboard. Food Banks can only give out what
they get in, and for them to waste money on lobster tails would be near criminal,
as they could buy a whole lot of staple foods for the same amount. Hungry folks
don't need or want lobster, they just want to get some nutritious food in theirs and
their kids stomachs.

My comments are not meant personally to you onfire, as I know many others are
in agreement with you. Was I time I would have agreed with you also, but life often
has a way of interfering in our plans, and savings can't (and don't) last forever. There
were many weeks when only the basic services bills got paid, and nothing left for
medicine and groceries. I've always been a "giver" and never a "taker", but when you're
completely out of options the food they provide is a true lifesaver.

Why do I have the "Essence of Compassion" in my signature? It's because I too
used to be very judgmental, however over many years life has taught me some
hard lessons. It reminds me that I've been on both sides of the equation, and
it reminds me to stop and think before passing judgment..on anyone, be they
money poor or money wealthy, young or old.

As a conservative, I would agree that there are many simply sucking off the
Federal teats and I'm not defending them in any way, but please, don't throw
good people facing hard times out with the bathwater.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and this has what to do with the 2nd amendment?

supposedly this is the richest country in the world, do you know how many kids go to bed hungry each day? How about how many kids are homeless?

Now you can start with all the stories about how you've stood in lines while people are paying for Xboxes and steaks with SNAP cards.

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are truly hungry people out there and maybe food stamps can serve their purpose at some point in people who are all of a sudden homeless but I think as a long going program it can lose its effectiveness and original intent.Food banks however as dizzy digger mentioned are wonderful programs as are local soup kitchens and are very much appreciated by the people who truly are in need.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a fan of this program, although I know that it has helped many needy families. On the other hand it has been ripe with problems, selling the stamps, voutures ,and cards for cash(seen it first hand, and the person on assistance was single and made 18/hour in construction).
Now, here in Vt. the money is just automatically deposited in your checking account on the first of the month, no accountibiliy for how you spend it, although I do know that the elderly women in question does use it for food, but spends in the local diner, and it's quickly used up.

The needy do need assistance, but I see Community food shelves, and perhaps lessons in purchasing and dietary planning on the local level much more beneficial.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any large program run by a governement buracracy is going to be ripe for the picking. AS posted, you don't punish the good for the sins of the bad.

We are one of the wealthiest nations on the planet. What society turns its back on its most needy members?

The Food Stamp program, by whatever name you want to call it, is a life line to many people in need. And, as we live to older ages, there may be people here among those in need as time goes on. Compassion is the watch word.

Foodbanks are another way you can help. These local pantries are another lifeline.

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get at least a few folks are at least admitting therefore truly needed people out there instead of the usual "everyone is bilking the system". Come down from your ivory towers people not everything that you've been indoctrinated with is true.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And might also add that not all I have seen is indoctrination. Taught to care of myself and myown first and foremost, and help others when possible.
Old adage......."Charity begins at home".......I.m not sure that qualifies for an Ivory Tower!

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And might also add that not all I have seen is indoctrination. Taught to care of myself and myown first and foremost, and help others when possible.
Old adage......."Charity begins at home".......I.m not sure that qualifies for an Ivory Tower!

And that's great for adults - what about the children - should we leave them to fend for themselves?

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I'm all for food banks and charitable institutions but how often are those food banks open?

Recently there was a disaster in Oklahoma, a lot of people are out of their homes and out of their jobs. How long do you think the local foodbank can keep them going? How long do you think it will take until another disaster takes attention of the larger charitable institutions and those folks are out of it all? Do you think their own families will be able to feed and support them?

This is why we have a government.

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, I'm all for food banks and charitable institutions but how often are those food banks open?

Recently there was a disaster in Oklahoma, a lot of people are out of their homes and out of their jobs. How long do you think the local foodbank can keep them going? How long do you think it will take until another disaster takes attention of the larger charitable institutions and those folks are out of it all? Do you think their own families will be able to feed and support them?

Excellent points.

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The attitude towards the poor and less fortunate by some of this board is downright unchristian. Some need a little New Testament refresher on the teaching of our Lord. The Kingdom is NOT open to those with closed minds and hearts.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:

I just want to point out that Glen Beck the very night of the tornado sent two semi trucks loaded with food to Oklahoma and has raised well more than a million dollars to help (100% went to help...no administrative costs). The people of this country are the most generous in the world.

P.S. please don't start bashing Glen Beck for helping...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
I have been to multiple food banks, churches to receive help, and been homeless living in cars, campgrounds ect. So Picker if your comments about people being in ivory towers, or being unchristian might have been directed at me, well I suggest you rethink your point of view...

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just want to point out that Glen Beck the very night of the tornado sent two semi trucks loaded with food to Oklahoma and has raised well more than a million dollars to help (100% went to help...no administrative costs). The people of this country are the most generous in the world.

P.S. please don't start bashing Glen Beck for helping...

Not at all I think more celebs should do the same and applaud anyone who does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread